Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default When did South Carolina not allow us to carry?

I was just looking on handgunlaw.us and it says that we have no recipricosity with them. So now if I travel to Florida I have to disarm in 2 states?????

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: When did South Carolina not allow us to carry?

South Carolina is a different kind of state. I'm pretty sure you are allowed a firearm in you glove box or other compartment in your vehicle.

(Lancaster County)

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows,
    unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
    (9)
    a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed
    trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of
    the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or
    proof of insurance;

(Lackawanna County)

We do not have a reciprocity agreement with them at this time. So that would mean you would have to unload your weapon and store the gun and ammo in different locations and the gun would have to be locked. Am I correct? LOL you beat me to it.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    We do not have a reciprocity agreement with them at this time. So that would mean you would have to unload your weapon and store the gun and ammo in different locations and the gun would have to be locked. Am I correct? LOL you beat me to it.
    We've never had an agreement with SC.

All you have to do is remove the gun from your holster and stick it in the glovebox or in a console you're able to close while in SC. No need to unload.

(Delaware County)

Can someone here answer me what the rules for reciprocity are? I know Attorney Generals have to send letters asking, but is it truly a kind of hand shake agreement?(I know there is a written letter) But why some states and not others? I search under reciprocity but could find the rules governing this?

I know when I get to South Carolina on the bike, I stop and place my weapon in one saddlebag, and the clip in the other, while taking off my helmet!!
    Strange how this freedom thing works, huh?
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    Can someone here answer me what the rules for reciprocity are? I know Attorney Generals have to send letters asking, but is it truly a kind of hand shake agreement?(I know there is a written letter) But why some states and not others? I search under reciprocity but could find the rules governing this?

I know when I get to South Carolina on the bike, I stop and place my weapon in one saddlebag, and the clip in the other, while taking off my helmet!!
    Typically the 2 states will have similar requirements for obtaining a permit and if they do then the 2 states will agree to honor each others permits. there are some exceptions like Florida.

since PA has no skill requirements for getting a permit there aren't many states that honor them, unlike Utah permits which require a training course, which is why so many states honor them
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

These are the only rules I remember seeing:
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
    <snip>
    (k) Reciprocity.--
    (1) The Attorney General shall have the power and duty to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states providing for the mutual recognition of a license to carry a firearm issued by the Commonwealth and a license or permit to carry a firearm issued by the other state. To carry out this duty, the Attorney General is authorized to negotiate reciprocity agreements and grant recognition of a license or permit to carry a firearm issued by another state.
    (2) The Attorney General shall report to the General Assembly within 180 days of the effective date of this paragraph and annually thereafter concerning the agreements which have been consummated under this subsection.
    And this little tidbit:
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license <snip>
    (b)<snip>
    (15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
    (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
    I believe that if you go to the attorney general's website, they have a list of states that would fall under the 6106(b)15 heading, as they provide reciprocity for our LTCF without having a reciprocity agreement.

It is really up to the AG. He has been given not only the authority, but the duty, to enter into and negotiate reciprocity agreements with other states. There are no "rules" that I can find, that he is bound to follow... maybe someone else knows if there are any..

Hope that helps.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Good question, but I had to jump on the clip thing before someone else did.

You guys are getting slow around here.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Good question, but I had to jump on the clip thing before someone else did.

You guys are getting slow around here.
    It is not that we are slow just in a food coma from yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast