Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Door to door salesman, OMG Look on his face

I was out ealier today doing a couple errands. I was home about a half hour and in the kitchen getting a glass of water. My wife was in the bedroom doing something. I heard a knock on the storm door. {front door was open} I have a full view glass storm door. Our new addition to the family, a 2 lb. Chorkie went nuts barking. {She was in full attack mode..lol.} I went to the front door and picked up the dog and called my wife to take the dog for me. The guy had a look on his face that had me confussed. That deer in the head lights look. I looked at him for a second or two while he was backing down the steps. I have a 8 x 16 raised concrete patio with roof over it. He's now standing out in the rain, and I'm thinking, what the hell is he doing standing in the rain. Then it hit me, I had my Sig strapped on my hip. I started laughing and couldn't stop.
    {Sorry I'm getting long winded here. It is my first interaction with somebody while carrying, at my house no less.}
    Now he's looking at me like I'm some kind of nut laughing. I opened the door and and said, you don't have to stand in the rain. He walked up far enough to get out of the rain. Then I said, what can I do for you. He said he saw my ADP alarm company sign and wanted to offer me a free alarm system. He kept looking at me with that deer in the head lights look and quick glances at my Sig. I said, well as you can see I have all the protection I need right now as I looked at my Sig and giggled a little. I said, I guess nobody ever greeted you at the door wearing a sidearm huh. He said no this is a first for me. He asked me if I was a cop or something, and I replied no, just a regular guy like you. He then asked me if I had a permit to have a gun. My PAFOA training kicked in at this point.
    He was more relaxed at this point.
    I told him that Pa. doesn't issue permits per say. That I do have a License to Carry a Firearm. He says, Cool! I told him I don't usually wear my firearm in the house but I had been out earlier. I asked him if he shoots or hunts. He said, I shot a couple times with a buddy last summer. I was thinking about doing it some more but I don't really know much about guns. I asked him what did you shoot when you went. He said, it was something like what you have. At this point I thought, what the heck I invited him in for a minute, wrote down the PAFOA website and gave him my user name and told him to check it out. I told him if he is interested in shooting handguns or long guns he should check the site out. I also offered to let him come to the range with me sometime and I would be glad to let him shoot any of my guns. We spoke a little more, he seemed interested in the handgun and shotgun shooting.
    I was rather proud of myself after he left and maybe we will have a new shooter to add to the ranks.
    I"ll bet that will be a good story back at the place he works. Hope I didn't bore you guys, it just struck me funny with the look on his face at the beginning. He seemed like a nice guy and well educated.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Door to door salesman, OMG Look on his face

Good story, great comunity PR
    Rep for you!

(Jefferson County)

Those young Mormon gentlemen and the Jehovah's Witnesses get that OMG look too when you answer the door with a sidearm on your hip. The Mormon guys usually relax and ignore it shortly there after. The Witnesses usually apologize for disturbing you and go to the next door. lol

(Beaver County)

his fear seemed more out of not knowing firearms. good to share knowledge with him.
    +1 for ya!!!
    "Yell it from that Mountain High 'I was Born Free' " ~ Kid Rock

(Berks County)

You got me grinning, +1. Hopefully he drops in to say hi and takes ya up on the offer to go shooting.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Allegheny County)

I almost didn't read your post due to my usual rule of not reading posts with no breaks/paragraphs. (Way too hard too read)
    I'm glad I changed my mind this time.

Good job. That's what we need... more people being introduced to shooting by people willing to help and answer questions.

Emptyeducationiskeymag
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

Great post.

Who are the young fellows with the messenger bags on bicycles? New ones come every week, and every time I answer the door, they seem to suddenly remember somewhere else they need to be. I never get a chance to ask what group they are with...anyone know?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Great post.

Who are the young fellows with the messenger bags on bicycles? New ones come every week, and every time I answer the door, they seem to suddenly remember somewhere else they need to be. I never get a chance to ask what group they are with...anyone know?
    They always come around here in the morning.

I sleep naked and no one comes around here unannounced, so I assume it's a fireman telling me that zombies are coming. Hence, I jump out of bed, grab my SIG and run to the door.

Sometimes, my "mornin' buddy" is still "looking for action".

And I get the same reaction you do.........

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Speaking of alarm salesmen, I had trapped on the property of one for 2 seasons, in PA. When I first met this guy he offered me use of his range, which is just a backyard range. Then he went on about John Kerry is a this 'n that, had nothing nice to say about him LOL, talked about 2A stuff and so on. I declined the range offer as I simply wasn't into guns at the time, but I trapped back up on his hill and caught 7 foxes. The next season was awful, 2 foxes and a possum I think. Now I am thinking about resetting up my old PA trapline and this next season looks to be offering a buttload of red foxes. I intend to drop by this guy's place to ask if I can trap there again. I have every intention to OC this time! Even if I can't catch any foxes there, maybe he has a bunch of guns I will totally drool over and we can shoot at his place some. Oh yeah and if he doesn't know about PAFOA, I will be sure to tell him, and give him a PA Patriot flyer as well. Egads I hope he still lives there.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by thatJeffguy View Post
    They always come around here in the morning.

I sleep naked and no one comes around here unannounced, so I assume it's a fireman telling me that zombies are coming. Hence, I jump out of bed, grab my SIG and run to the door.

Sometimes, my "mornin' buddy" is still "looking for action".

And I get the same reaction you do.........
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast