Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default New here - many questions!

Hello all!

First, would like to say that this looks like an invaluable resource for information regarding firearm ownership in PA! I was googling to find out where to start and then clicked a link and saw PAFOA, then realized wow its a site specific for PA - excellent!

I do not own a firearm nor am I licensed in any manner to own one or carry one, but I am researching where to start. My family has long been talking of having a weapon for defense in the house and since we are all of age we thought it might be an interesting hobby as well.

I guess what I am wondering is - what are the steps? I couldn't find too much but I was probably searching incorrectly and do not know the terminology. Basically, I am interested in my ability to own a firearm and what firearm I should decide on. I am only considering a handgun, and probably 9mm or .40 as I have friends who have stated these are the most economical and controllable. I have several models in mind, but I don't know what the nitty gritty differences are. Ultimately I would like to have a concealed carry permit, but again, I do not know what is involved.

So to expand - if I wanted to start the process tomorrow, what would I need to do? I feel I should find this out before I start talking about models and pricing and what fits my needs best. I am a 24 year old male with no criminal background at all and would like a firearm for protection - where should I start?

Thanks in advance for any input on this and it's great to see a community put together to help each other out!

Thanks!

Default Re: New here - many questions!

To get a LTCF, License To Carry Firearms, you go thru your sheriff's office:
    http://www.buckscounty.org/governmen...onsPermit.aspx

They call it a "gun permit" as many folks and sheriffs do, but it's proper name is a License To Carry Firearms.

You need this to carry a gun concealed on your person, open or concealed in a vehicle, to carry open or concealed only in Philadelphia, and to carry a gun during a declared state of emergency.

Open carry in full view, in a holster, is legal without any license, except in Philly.

As for looking for a handgun, go to a gun show, you can handle all you like to find out what feels good.

Find a group shoot close to you, or a range that rent's guns, so you can shoot a variety, to find what you like.

As for the LTCF, Pa does not have a permit, it's a license to carry a firearm.

Go to your Co. Sheriff, and apply, have your wife/GF/SO apply also.
    Even if they have no desire to carry, If something happened to you, they can take custody of your weapon.

I'll let the others post more advice.

welcome, both as a forum member and a future gun owner.

We could run and ramble about different guns and whats better and why and etc etc etc, so instead of giving advice in the form of information I"ll just tell you what gun you need to buy lol...deal?

Get a Glock 19.......nuff said.

(you, of course, are completely free to buy whatever you want as far as price, size, and availability go. 9's are cheaper to buy and shoot and have less recoil and you can get good self defense ammo that is downright nasty on soft targets.)

Also read thru these FAQs:
    http://www.pafoa.org/law

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    To get a LTCF, License To Carry Firearms, you go thru your sheriff's office:
    http://www.buckscounty.org/governmen...onsPermit.aspx

They call it a "gun permit" as many folks and sheriffs do, but it's proper name is a License To Carry Firearms.

You need this to carry a gun concealed on your person, open or concealed in a vehicle, to carry open or concealed only in Philadelphia, and to carry a gun during a declared state of emergency.

Open carry in full view, in a holster, is legal without any license, except in Philly.
    Declared state of emergency, and within the 1k ft fed school zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    welcome, both as a forum member and a future gun owner.

We could run and ramble about different guns and whats better and why and etc etc etc, so instead of giving advice in the form of information I"ll just tell you what gun you need to buy lol...deal?

Get a Glock 19.......nuff said.

(you, of course, are completely free to buy whatever you want as far as price, size, and availability go. 9's are cheaper to buy and shoot and have less recoil and you can get good self defense ammo that is downright nasty on soft targets.)
    Oh great another glocker............

(Mercer County)

Hmmmmm...

First of all, welcome!

Secondly, make sure you check out all of the great links throughout this site, including the open carry flyer and the where you can/can't carry thread.

Thirdly, if you need to know something, feel free to ask. This site is filled with people ready to help out. You'll find fellow newbies and old timers - and everyone in between. You'll also get answers to questions, as well as opinions. Some will be polite, some will be blunt - but you'll definitely learn stuff. Don't forget to use the search function. Tons of questions have already been asked. Many get asked every day....

Fourthly, as far as picking out your gun, figure out a rough price range. You can find handguns for $150 and clear up to (or past) $1500. Go to a gun store with a helpful staff and a huge variety. Pick them up. Hold them. See how they fit in your hand. I had my heart set on a certain gun, but after holding one that simply felt much better, I never looked back. Just like cars, there are many makes, models, sizes, shapes, and colors. Take an experienced buddy if possible.

Again, welcome!

(Bucks County)

Thank you for the quick replies! So is having the ability to possess a firearm in your home and having the ability to possess it on you concealed two different things? I am not well versed enough to differentiate between the two, or one, as the case might be.

Sorry for being so clueless!

Also, does having a conceal carry license allow me to conceal and carry the firearm into Philadelphia if I am licensed in Bucks County? Does all of PA honor the license?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuyHere View Post
    Hello all!

First, would like to say that this looks like an invaluable resource for information regarding firearm ownership in PA! I was googling to find out where to start and then clicked a link and saw PAFOA, then realized wow its a site specific for PA - excellent!

I do not own a firearm nor am I licensed in any manner to own one or carry one, but I am researching where to start. My family has long been talking of having a weapon for defense in the house and since we are all of age we thought it might be an interesting hobby as well.

I guess what I am wondering is - what are the steps? I couldn't find too much but I was probably searching incorrectly and do not know the terminology. Basically, I am interested in my ability to own a firearm and what firearm I should decide on. I am only considering a handgun, and probably 9mm or .40 as I have friends who have stated these are the most economical and controllable. I have several models in mind, but I don't know what the nitty gritty differences are. Ultimately I would like to have a concealed carry permit, but again, I do not know what is involved.

So to expand - if I wanted to start the process tomorrow, what would I need to do? I feel I should find this out before I start talking about models and pricing and what fits my needs best. I am a 24 year old male with no criminal background at all and would like a firearm for protection - where should I start?

Thanks in advance for any input on this and it's great to see a community put together to help each other out!

Thanks!
    Welcome! Here is a list of important stuff for new members to go through. Read through these links and it will help you tremendously. :

Members, please use the correct forums

Best single source of firearm information here

Where you can and can't carry

The U.F.A. (Pa. firearm related laws) Sections are also available in our reference library, the link to which is located at the top of each page here..

Forum rules

How rules are enforced here

Reputation points guide

How to report a post

Rules for classified section posts

I hope this list helps make it easier for you to figure out what questions to ask and makes your time here more enjoyable

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast