Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: North to Alaska

Default North to Alaska

I am driving to Alaska next month. Seems that my revolver can not legally enter Canada. Any number /type of rifles and shotguns are ok. I bought a 44 mag for hiking & biking and a long gun just won't work as well for me.

Any advise or comments? Anyone successfully get a revolver to Alaska?

Thank you for any help.

SE Georgia going to AK.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: North to Alaska

Prohibited firearms, devices, and weapons are:
    *snip*
    # handguns with a barrel less than 105mm (4.14 inches), except certain specifically listed competition handguns which are restricted
    # handguns in caliber .25 or .32, except certain specifically listed competition handguns which are restricted

So what you're saying is you have a revolver with a barrel length under 4.14"? If it's longer, it should be classified as restricted rather than prohibited in which case you can get a 60 day license at the border.
    http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/#visitors that would be the CAFC 909 and CAFC 679 by the looks of it.

If you don't feel like registering your firearm to a foreign country just to get to the other side of yours, mailing it would be your best option.

*disclaimer* I am not a Canadian (thank God) gun lawyer so give them a call first to verify all of this if you choose to take the paperwork route.

(Centre County)

If you have an address where you are going to be staying in Alaska you can ship your gun to yourself. You can't mail it though, only FFL's can use USPS to ship a handgun (to another FFL).

From the BATFE:

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

OK, but, USPS, and FEDEX refused by phone to accept firearms. UPS said I could only ship to dealer or manufacturer.

Does anyone have experience shipping a revolver to himself, what carrier will take it?

I based my original question on a phone call to the CFO for Manitoba. I was told no hand gun could transported through Canada.

Thanks for your reply, I am going to try again with that office. Hope I get a different clerk this time.

(Centre County)

For USPS, you cannot use the mail to send it to yourself.

For FedEx and UPS do not talk to anyone except at the main shipping terminal. The people at the satellite drop offs (Kinko's, Office Depot, Staples, etc.) do know know the regs and they won't help you at all. If the person at the main terminal says you can't then ask for the manager, he/she should be able to get things back on track. You might also want to quote them the Q&A from the BATFE website that I included in my first answer.

If they still refuse you will have to get in touch with a FFL at the location (or close) to accept the gun for you to pick up when you get there. There may be a nominal charge by the FFL for doing this. To find one in that area you could go to Gunbroker and check their list as well as the DPMS, Bushmaster, and other sites to see who might be in the area you are going to (or through, where you could stop to pick it up and then continue on).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I called the CFO again. Same answer. 2" or 12" barrel is all the same. You may not drive to Alaska with a hand gun because you cannot leagally enter Canada.
    As I type this I feel my irritation level rising. They have a form for non resident firearm declaration. One section says "If your firearm is restricted (most handguns) list Authorization to Transport number and expiration date." By phone I have twice been told that I may not get the ATT if just traveling through to Alaska. Oh well, if we keep electing the "right" people, we won't be able to own a handgun leagally either.

Might consider buying on there, prolly much easyer, then if you want to you can ship it back to yourself once you come back... That is if you decide to come back
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    For USPS, you cannot use the mail to send it to yourself.

For FedEx and UPS do not talk to anyone except at the main shipping terminal. The people at the satellite drop offs (Kinko's, Office Depot, Staples, etc.) do know know the regs and they won't help you at all. If the person at the main terminal says you can't then ask for the manager, he/she should be able to get things back on track. You might also want to quote them the Q&A from the BATFE website that I included in my first answer.

If they still refuse you will have to get in touch with a FFL at the location (or close) to accept the gun for you to pick up when you get there. There may be a nominal charge by the FFL for doing this. To find one in that area you could go to Gunbroker and check their list as well as the DPMS, Bushmaster, and other sites to see who might be in the area you are going to (or through, where you could stop to pick it up and then continue on).
    Please re-read this quote.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry