Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Cumberland County LTCF

So I just got my LTCF from Cumb. County the other day. With it I recieved a large note card. On it was a message from the county sheriff along with some tips, or as was wrote... "Here are some things you should consider"

There were 8 numbered tips. I'd like to highlight 2 of them that made me go "hmmm" and reminded me of a couple popular threads on here recently.
    (verbatim on card)

2. Your firearm MUST be concealed at all times. Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm in public places can cause alarm and adverse reactions by your fellow-citizens, and create embarrasing situations, which could result in revocation of your license. Carrying a firearm creates the possibility of it being taken from you and used against you or another person.

8. If you are stopped or approached by a Police Officer, and you have a firearm in your vehicle or on your person, immediately advise the officer that you have a License to Carry Firearms and the location of the firearm.

Are these mere suggestions? Warnings? Actual laws?

Comments welcome. Just throwing these out there for discussion.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Cumberland County LTCF

These are the sheriff's opinions
    Neither is required by law and neither is justification for revocation

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(York County)

Those are all suggestions in accordance with your Sheriff's personal agenda. They are not actual laws.

Excercise your better judgment and stay within the law and you should be fine.

Here is what the York County Sheriff's Office has to say...

Reminder on Firearms Responsibility

From Sheriff Rich Keuerleber

As an applicant for a license to carry a firearm, it is my duty to remind you that carrying a firearm requires tremendous care and responsibility. It is my position that irresponsible behavior, criminal or otherwise, will result in the permanent revocation of your license. Also, I am asking every firearms license holder to exercise good firearms care and safety as it relates to carrying and storage of firearms.

Please consider the following as it relates to your firearms license:

1. Be familiar with the operation, safe handling, and laws related to your firearm. Although it is not the law, it is recommended that you take a firearms safety course offered by a competent instructor. Otherwise the firearm may represent a threat to yourself, your family, and your fellow citizens.

2. Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm in public places can cause alarm to the public and may result in revocation of your permit.

3. Possessing a firearm presents an additional risk of it getting into the wrong hands. Practice safe storage and seek quality firearms training.

4. Your firearms license is for Pennsylvania only. There are states that accept Pennsylvania Licenses. Information on reciprocity can be obtained from the PA Attorney General’s Office.

5. Do not carry your firearm when consuming alcoholic beverages or taking prescription medications that may affect your abilities and/or judgment.

6. A firearms license does not confer any law enforcement powers or authority. Acting in that manner will result in revocation of your license in addition to any criminal/civil penalties.

7. Carrying a firearm does create the possibility of it being taken and used against you and your family. Seek quality training.

8. Any arrest or Protection From Abuse Order is grounds for revocation of your permit. Your license will be revoked, whether the firearm was involved in the incident or not. State law requires that you notify us if you become ineligible to maintain your license to carry a firearm.

9. If you are carrying a firearm and come into contact with a Law Enforcement Officer, follow all instructions you are given. Do not make any sudden moves, keep your hands visible, and notify the officer immediately that you have a firearms license and a firearm on your person.

These are a few of the many considerations you should keep in mind. Please use common sense and basic handgun safety considerations at all times. Again, carrying a firearm requires responsibility.

Cordially,

P.S. On the web site, you can click on a link to the application process. The link says. "Concealed Weapons Permit Instructions"

It is a License to Carry, not a "permit to conceal".
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by HbgHKFan View Post
    So I just got my LTCF from Cumb. County the other day. With it I recieved a large note card. On it was a message from the county sheriff along with some tips, or as was wrote... "Here are some things you should consider"

There were 8 numbered tips. I'd like to highlight 2 of them that made me go "hmmm" and reminded me of a couple popular threads on here recently.
    (verbatim on card)

2. Your firearm MUST be concealed at all times. Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm in public places can cause alarm and adverse reactions by your fellow-citizens, and create embarrasing situations, which could result in revocation of your license. Carrying a firearm creates the possibility of it being taken from you and used against you or another person.

8. If you are stopped or approached by a Police Officer, and you have a firearm in your vehicle or on your person, immediately advise the officer that you have a License to Carry Firearms and the location of the firearm.

Are these mere suggestions? Warnings? Actual laws?

Comments welcome. Just throwing these out there for discussion.
    READ THIS THOROUGHLY

Hell, maybe somebody ought to sticky it or something

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Curmdgeon View Post
    Those are all suggestions in accordance with your Sheriff's personal agenda. They are not actual laws.

Excercise your better judgment and stay within the law and you should be fine.

Here is what the York County Sheriff's Office has to say...

Reminder on Firearms Responsibility

From Sheriff Rich Keuerleber

As an applicant for a license to carry a firearm, it is my duty to remind you that carrying a firearm requires tremendous care and responsibility. It is my position that irresponsible behavior, criminal or otherwise, will result in the permanent revocation of your license. Also, I am asking every firearms license holder to exercise good firearms care and safety as it relates to carrying and storage of firearms.

Please consider the following as it relates to your firearms license:

1. Be familiar with the operation, safe handling, and laws related to your firearm. Although it is not the law, it is recommended that you take a firearms safety course offered by a competent instructor. Otherwise the firearm may represent a threat to yourself, your family, and your fellow citizens.

2. Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm in public places can cause alarm to the public and may result in revocation of your permit.

3. Possessing a firearm presents an additional risk of it getting into the wrong hands. Practice safe storage and seek quality firearms training.

4. Your firearms license is for Pennsylvania only. There are states that accept Pennsylvania Licenses. Information on reciprocity can be obtained from the PA Attorney General’s Office.

5. Do not carry your firearm when consuming alcoholic beverages or taking prescription medications that may affect your abilities and/or judgment.

6. A firearms license does not confer any law enforcement powers or authority. Acting in that manner will result in revocation of your license in addition to any criminal/civil penalties.

7. Carrying a firearm does create the possibility of it being taken and used against you and your family. Seek quality training.

8. Any arrest or Protection From Abuse Order is grounds for revocation of your permit. Your license will be revoked, whether the firearm was involved in the incident or not. State law requires that you notify us if you become ineligible to maintain your license to carry a firearm.

9. If you are carrying a firearm and come into contact with a Law Enforcement Officer, follow all instructions you are given. Do not make any sudden moves, keep your hands visible, and notify the officer immediately that you have a firearms license and a firearm on your person.

These are a few of the many considerations you should keep in mind. Please use common sense and basic handgun safety considerations at all times. Again, carrying a firearm requires responsibility.

Cordially,

P.S. On the web site, you can click on a link to the application process. The link says. "Concealed Weapons Permit Instructions"

It is a License to Carry, not a "permit to conceal".
    That piece of paper is toilet fodder!!!

(Dauphin County)

It's always been this kind of crap that makes me wonder if these little "tips" don't borderline on Official Oppression, as comments such as "firearm MUST be concealed" could be considered enforcement under Color Of Law.

IANAL, and I could be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off here, but I've been curious.

-38SnubFan

Quote Originally Posted by 38SnubFan View Post
    It's always been this kind of crap that makes me wonder if these little "tips" don't borderline on Official Oppression, as comments such as "firearm MUST be concealed" could be considered enforcement under Color Of Law.

IANAL, and I could be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off here, but I've been curious.

-38SnubFan
    I guess someone would have to challenge it in court to get any type of answer and/or resolution, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    READ THIS THOROUGHLY

Hell, maybe somebody ought to sticky it or something
    Problem is that link only takes you to the thread. After getting there you have to sort through all the responses to find the flyer, would be nice if the link and/or the sticky took you directly to the document.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Problem is that link only takes you to the thread. After getting there you have to sort through all the responses to find the flyer, would be nice if the link and/or the sticky took you directly to the document.
    Umm...the link is right in the very first post (which is where you arrive if you click the link). Can't get much simpler than that.

It's also right on the front page of paopencarry.org.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Umm...the link is right in the very first post (which is where you arrive if you click the link). Can't get much simpler than that.

It's also right on the front page of paopencarry.org.
    I just clicked the link and it was nowhere to be found on the first page, then I remembered I am configured to display the newest post first, that way I can scroll down based on how long ago I was on the forum and don't have to page through everything I've already read. So in my case is on the last page.