Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default References for Lehigh LTCF?

Applying for a LTCF as a relatively new Lehigh County resident (just over a year now), as I am going back to CC/OC full time.
    *edit*

I have received two references who are both LTCF'ers thanks to my father's shooting buddies.

FYI, a different clerk at the Sheriff's Office explicitly stated that as long as you have ONE Lehigh, the other can reside somewhere else. Different regs for different Counties, and different info depending on who you talk to.

confusing, eh?
    Last edited by Ten*K; February 11th, 2009 at 10:18 PM.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: References for Lehigh LTCF?

When I applied I needed both references from Lehigh and I had freshly moved from Florida -- so that was a bit difficult.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    FYI, a different clerk at the Sheriff's Office explicitly stated that as long as you have ONE Lehigh, the other can reside somewhere else. Different regs for different Counties, and different info depending on who you talk to.

confusing, eh?
    Not confusing at all. Any Sheriff that imposes residency requirements for references is in violation of the law. There is no statutory residency requirement for references, and the unaltered form from the PSP notes no such requirement.

If someone was denied for this reason alone, I'd bet a large sum of money that they would prevail upon appeal.

Most will simply comply, because it's easier. Hopefully they at least acknowledge this concession, rather than accept it as a legitimate requirement.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Not confusing at all. Any Sheriff that imposes residency requirements for references is in violation of the law. There is no statutory residency requirement for references, and the unaltered form from the PSP notes no such requirement.

If someone was denied for this reason alone, I'd bet a large sum of money that they would prevail upon appeal.

Most will simply comply, because it's easier. Hopefully they at least acknowledge this concession, rather than accept it as a legitimate requirement.
    The problem, as I see it, is that they don't deny you, they refuse to process the application.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Franklin County)

Which is also unlawful. In that case, a writ of mandamus would be the remedy. That order would compel the Sheriff to carry out a non-discretionary duty (ie - accepting and processing the application).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lehigh County)

well, at least it's not Monroe County.

funny story.. i used to work for Lehigh County Sheriff's office as a part-time deputy. man did that suck.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Lehigh County)

Tell us about it. Aren't they the ones that can only carry a wheelgun and no backup gun? What's the deal with that?

(Lehigh County)

I recall when I went in for my renewal (which ended up turning into a new application cuz the had NO record of me already having a license...WTF??) it stated on the form that the two needed to be from Lehigh County.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Lehigh County)

You indeed do need two Lehigh County references. I asked politely if they could submit my application with my berks and Montgomery county references and I was told that Lehigh county requires references from within the county. We went back and forth for a few minutes with me stating that I had read all the regulations and that was not in them, and the clerk restating that they need to be in lehigh.

One quick phone call and I had my two lehigh references but let it be known you should come with them if you want to have your application processed.

(Lehigh County)

Just as an FYI I received my CCW/LTCF card in the mail on 9/27. I submitted on 8/20 so that is 27 business days. Not bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast