Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retired Finally

(Monroe County)

Default Retired Finally

Hello everyone
    I'm Janet and i retired from NYC Dept. of Correction after 25 1/2 yrs.. :}:}

I'm now residing here in PA, Tobyhanna. Can someone tell me what do i have to do get a a license/permit to carry my firearm here.? Also I will be looking for work here that requires gun permit. So not sure if theres other applications that i have to fill out .

Thanks

janet diaz

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Retired Finally

your Liscence to Carry Firearms(LTCF) as it is called in PA can be obtained through your county Sheriff. Depending on the work you will be doing an act 235 and/or act 120 will be needed.
    "I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the Atmosphere." -Thomas Jefferson.

(Carbon County)

As far as you LTCF (license to carry a firearm), You have to go to your county sheriff's office and talk to them. Not sure if the form is online or not. Fill out the paperwork, and pay with a check or money order. In most cases you should be able to walk out that day with your LTCF. Some people have had to wait, so got theirs same day. As long as your background is clear you should be fine. Welcome to PA and welcome to the forum.

Jim

Well, Rlsst30 beat me to it.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Allegheny County)

Forgot to welcome you to the forum! so Welcome to PAFOA!
    "I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the Atmosphere." -Thomas Jefferson.

Welcome Janet to PA and our forum!

As far as carrying for work, look here at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Lethal Weapons Training program web site.

Here is a good place with some basic info about firearms in PA for you also ---> LINK

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by janey View Post
    Hello everyone
    I'm Janet and i retired from NYC Dept. of Correction after 25 1/2 yrs.. :}:}

I'm now residing here in PA, Tobyhanna. Can someone tell me what do i have to do get a a license/permit to carry my firearm here.? Also I will be looking for work here that requires gun permit. So not sure if theres other applications that i have to fill out .

Thanks

janet diaz
    Hi Janet,
    As a Monroe County resident, you need to go to the courthouse in Stroudsburg, make a right at the entrance and go to the Firearms Section of the Sheriff's Department. The applications are there. The fee is nominal- $32 if I remember correctly,and 2 passport photos are needed. Pennsylvania is a shall-issue state, which means if you meet the criteria, you must be issued a permit. Our Sheriff's Dept has a turnaround of about a month for the permits.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ccp72 View Post
    Hi Janet,
    As a Monroe County resident, you need to go to the courthouse in Stroudsburg, make a right at the entrance and go to the Firearms Section of the Sheriff's Department. The applications are there. The fee is nominal- $32 if I remember correctly,and 2 passport photos are needed. Pennsylvania is a shall-issue state, which means if you meet the criteria, you must be issued a permit. Our Sheriff's Dept has a turnaround of about a month for the permits.
    Right about the the courthouse, wrong about the photos

You will need to call berkheimer associates, the local tax collector, and tell them that you are applying for a license to carry firearms and you need proof that you are on the tax roll( If you're not, they will sign you up). They will send you a letter stating that they know who you are
    Take that letter, the names and addresses of two Monroe county residents who will be references, and three months worth of phone bills(which you may or may not be asked for), down to the Sheriff's office with $16 dollars. Fill out the application while you are there and turn it in. I forget if they take your picture then or when you go pick up your LTCF, but either way, after about a month and a half, you will get a little card in the mail telling you that your LTCF is ready to be picked up(assuming you have no disqualifiers). You then go down to the Sheriff's office, pay an additional $15 and pick up your license. That's it.

Welcome to the forum!

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Adams County)

I can't believe nobody's said it yet! "Janey's got a gun" (Aerosmith)

Janey- welcome to PA. and PAFOA. You'll meet a lot of good folks here, learn lots of good stuff, have a few debates and maybe a few arguments, but you've found family here. Try to attend the group shoots and OC lunches(OC= open carry, legal in PA). Welcome. Lastly- congrats on your retirement.

Keith
    PAFOA PROUD!
    USMV M/C

(Lebanon County)

Welcome to Pennsylvania.

While having a gun for the group shoots probably helps, it is not required for the dinners. CC/OC/no C are all welcome.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Monroe County)

"Janey's got a gun" (Aerosmith)

LOLOL,
    Thanks everyone for the info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast