Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Question 10 mm Glocks - are they shootable?

Before i get grilled and broiled for using an asinine term such as "shootable", please allow me to explain.

When i first shot my first all steel 1911 (standard 230 grain ball ammo) i found the 1911 platform to be EXTREMELY shootable. However, when i shot the same 45 out of a USP, i could shoot it, but it just felt weird. I apologize, but that is the best i can do as far as explaining it is concerned.

Recently, i got to shoot (albeit only 10 rounds or so) a pair of Glocks. Namely, the Glock 20 and its little brother, the Glock 29. I found the 29 a bit snappy - fucker wanted to jump all the damn time like an unruly puppy but the 20 was quite nice to shoot. I knew that 10mm ammo was expensive so i just shot 5 rounds out of each gun and thanked the gentleman for allowing me to shoot them. He insisted that i shoot some more but i did not have any money on me to give him for his ammo. He had nothing but praise for both guns but i somehow suspect, there had to be a tad bit of bias of some sort. This was not enough for me to form an opinion on the "shootability" of either handgun other than the fact that i could shoot it 5 times and keep a 5 inch circle at 10 yards - make that 7 inches with the 29 (i was flinching like tweaker).

If any of you here can let me know what your experiences are with both handguns, i am obviously looking to carry BOTH of them, i would really appreciate that. I would also like some honest feedback on ammo costs, what can i expect to break, known issues with either model or caliber, etc.

I was looking for some advice from the forum to see if it would be worth investing in these two guns or not. If i should get just one, which one should i get? My experience with the 10mm is just the 10 rounds worth. It felt like i was shooting a .45+P+ load when i shot the Glock 29 and it felt like a .45 when i was shooting the Glock 20 - but that could have been because of sheer size difference in the guns.

All opinions are welcome.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: 10 mm Glocks - are they shootable?

I fee yes. The gen 3 has a pretty chunky grip though which I believe was fixed in the gen4. Or made smaller. It can be a handful but it's not terrible. I am an owner of a gen3 g20

I owned a Glock 20 and it was a handful with the handloads I used. Most commercial 10mm is watered down to not much more than the 40S&W. You would need to handload or buy from specialty ammo manufacturers, such as Buffalo Bore, Double Tap or Underwood to get full performance, and then you get into serious recoil. If you must have a 10mm, I'd go with the Glock 20SF model. I sold my G20 standard for that very reason, the grip was like a brick and felt very awkward to hold. As far a shootability, a steel 1911 and polymer Glock are just two different beasts. The 1911's just naturally have a much more crisp trigger because they're single action, but with a lot of practice you can get used to a Glock trigger and become very accurate with them. Just as an aside, I also had a Glock 21SF and loved it. It was much more comfortable with the SF grip and is strong enough to handle a steady diet of +P 45acp. With a heavier recoil spring I even shot 45 Super out of it. Not much you can't get done (defensive wise) with that.

(Allegheny County)

I have a gen 2 glock 20, very manageable recoil and very nice gun. Also have 1911 style 10mm's also very manageable recoil and very nice guns. Can't speak to the Glock 29...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    It can be a handful but it's not terrible. I am an owner of a gen3 g20
    It was a bit handful. if i could have shot one with a slightly fuller backstrap i think i could have had a more comfortable grip on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    If you must have a 10mm, I'd go with the Glock 20SF model.
    A Glock 20 SF. I will look into it for sure. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by IrocGuns View Post
    Also have 1911 style 10mm's also very manageable recoil and very nice guns.
    Some of them, like the Dan Wessons are pricey though. Have you shot any of the RIA's?
    Last edited by TheTailhound; September 13th, 2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: stating the obvious

they are both fantastic guns but the 20 is more "shootable"
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Allegheny County)

I have not shot the RIA 10mm but I do have a 22TCM and they are well made for the price. I have a springfield linkless and a delta elite in 1911 10mm very nice.

(Allegheny County)

I have both a G20 and a G29, the G29 is my everyday carry I love it and dont plan on switching to anything else i got.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTailhound View Post
    Before i get grilled and broiled for using an asinine term such as "shootable", please allow me to explain.

When i first shot my first all steel 1911 (standard 230 grain ball ammo) i found the 1911 platform to be EXTREMELY shootable. However, when i shot the same 45 out of a USP, i could shoot it, but it just felt weird. I apologize, but that is the best i can do as far as explaining it is concerned.

Recently, i got to shoot (albeit only 10 rounds or so) a pair of Glocks. Namely, the Glock 20 and its little brother, the Glock 29. I found the 29 a bit snappy - fucker wanted to jump all the damn time like an unruly puppy but the 20 was quite nice to shoot. I knew that 10mm ammo was expensive so i just shot 5 rounds out of each gun and thanked the gentleman for allowing me to shoot them. He insisted that i shoot some more but i did not have any money on me to give him for his ammo. He had nothing but praise for both guns but i somehow suspect, there had to be a tad bit of bias of some sort. This was not enough for me to form an opinion on the "shootability" of either handgun other than the fact that i could shoot it 5 times and keep a 5 inch circle at 10 yards - make that 7 inches with the 29 (i was flinching like tweaker).

If any of you here can let me know what your experiences are with both handguns, i am obviously looking to carry BOTH of them, i would really appreciate that. I would also like some honest feedback on ammo costs, what can i expect to break, known issues with either model or caliber, etc.

I was looking for some advice from the forum to see if it would be worth investing in these two guns or not. If i should get just one, which one should i get? My experience with the 10mm is just the 10 rounds worth. It felt like i was shooting a .45+P+ load when i shot the Glock 29 and it felt like a .45 when i was shooting the Glock 20 - but that could have been because of sheer size difference in the guns.

All opinions are welcome.
    Step son had a G29, I loved shooting it, surprised he sold it....potent weapon.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

It is a potent round. Maybe a little too potent, IMO. I'd hate for it to sail right through the bad guy and hit a bystander. It's similar to the 41 Magnum, introduced as the "perfect" police caliber in a revolver, and then they loaded it down to 950fps with a 200gr. lead SWC bullet to make it more controllable. They could have used the old 44 Special to achieve that. But really, there's not anything that the 357 Mag. can't take care of that needed taking care of. I feel the same about the 10mm versus the 40S&W. People call the 40 S&W the "Short & Weak", but it's by no means weak and can handle any self-defense situation. Now if you wanted to use your 10mm for both two legged and four legged predators, that's a different story. In fact, speaking of purely personal defense against the two legged variety, I'm surprised the 357 SIG never made more of a splash, since it duplicates the famous 357 Magnum 125gr. load. Maybe it was because some ammo companies really pushed the envelope with their +P+ 9x19 loads that just about duplicate the performance of the 357 SIG, and is cheaper. But I'm getting off topic, and someone's caliber choice is a personal one. If you want the 10mm, you certainly won't be undergunned!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast