Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Advice needed on Open Carrying while counter demonstrating in the city of Philly

My understanding from http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry/

is that
    "open carry is legal in Pennsylvania without a License To Carry Firearms except in "cities of the first class" (Philadelphia) and vehicles where a License To Carry Firearms is required to do so.

With that said, we would like to point out that there is much debate among firearm owners about whether openly carrying firearms is really a good idea. While we will leave that choice to the individual we will state that in many urban areas (namely Philadelphia) doing so will draw unwanted attention from law enforcement that may include (but not be limited to) the following repercussions:

Being stopped and questioned by law enforcement.
    Having your License To Carry Firearms seized and sent back for revocation.
    Being arrested either improperly or for other charges like disturbing the peace or creating a public nuisance.
    While this may not happen should you choose to carry openly, many urban law enforcement officers we have talked to have expressed a very negative opinion towards the idea. Some have suggested that law enforcement will do everything in their power to make your life difficult should you choose to."

With that said, I will be attending a counter protest to an Anti-Trump rally in the city of Philadelphia. Do I risk any issues with the Philly PD nowadays if Open carrying? I am worried about some slippery suckers from the other side lyng about me brandished or threatening them (which I ofcourse won't) and risking losing my LTCF or worse. Can anyone shed some light on this? My feelings are that the page above http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry/ is outdated and that Philly police by now are aware not to mess with OC'ers as well as them being more standoffish after Ferguson and other DNC decriminilizing and having a general laid off attitude., but I may be wrong. I would appreciate any advice.

(York County)

Default Re: Advice needed on Open Carrying while counter demonstrating in the city of Philly

I wont speak for anyone else, but over the years Philly appears to have eased up a bit on OC. of course its cost them some money and a pile of training, but we hear less and less complaints about the PPD thanks in part to members here who remind them of the rules with open carry walks and interactions with SEPTA.

IMHO, exercise all your rights, and by all means, record everything for your protection!

P.S. and you should tell us more about this rally: those who oppose freedom, support corruption, and will vote for HilLIARy deserve to be rallied against!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Default Re: Advice needed on Open Carrying while counter demonstrating in the city of Philly

some form of body worn camera would be a good idea. I picked up one a couple months ago. Also I'd suggest using your phone as a recording device, and installing an app/service like bambuser on it, which uploads the stream to the cloud in real time.
    If you're worried about your phone being broken or stolen, keep an eye out for deals from some of the "free" phone companies like FreedomPop. I picked up one of their LG Volt phones for $40 and have it on the basic/free plan.

(Lackawanna County)

Will there be a counter rally to counter your rally that counters the anti-Trump rally?

I can see it now. Their signs would read, "Why don't you just go inside and support your guy?"

The possible negatives of OC'ing in this situation, in this venue, probably outweigh any benefits.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The possible negatives of OC'ing in this situation, in this venue, probably outweigh any benefits.
    Why is that? These are always the same characters. Anti-Police, Anti- Guns, Anti- trump, Pro-terror states etc etc.

(Philadelphia County)

Advice? Leave the hardware home. You don't need it to express political support for your view. Anything else is the duty of those with a badge to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Advice? Leave the hardware home. You don't need it to express political support for your view. Anything else is the duty of those with a badge to handle.
    I usually always OC on a daily basis in Lower Merion. So it is not like I am trying to make a statement for this particular event. Just wanting to know if their is a good chance that some rogue cop will decide to cause trouble.. If they ask for my LTCF I plan to show them, and nt be a hardass activist about it.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleinc View Post
    Why is that? These are always the same characters. Anti-Police, Anti- Guns, Anti- trump, Pro-terror states etc etc.
    The Philly police don't like you. The media don't like you. I'm not sure how I feel about you yet, but I know that nothing useful for Trump or for gun rights can come of your plan; seriously, what's the best possible outcome resulting from you OC'ing at this kind of event? The Philly PD could easily arrest you and give the media the headline "gun-toting Trump supporter had to be taken away in cuffs". The fact that you've done nothing illegal (so far as I know) means nothing, the headline is what does the damage.

I assume that your desire to take the time to attend the counter-protest is because you want to help generate good publicity and useful talking points. An OC'd gun does neither in this context. It helps the enemy.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The Philly police don't like you. The media don't like you. I'm not sure how I feel about you yet, but I know that nothing useful for Trump or for gun rights can come of your plan; seriously, what's the best possible outcome resulting from you OC'ing at this kind of event? The Philly PD could easily arrest you and give the media the headline "gun-toting Trump supporter had to be taken away in cuffs". The fact that you've done nothing illegal (so far as I know) means nothing, the headline is what does the damage.

I assume that your desire to take the time to attend the counter-protest is because you want to help generate good publicity and useful talking points. An OC'd gun does neither in this context. It helps the enemy.
    I'm gonna agree with Phil, here.

OC while counter-protesting an anti-gun rally? By all means, go for it. Been there, done that. ( http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=216917 )

OC at an anti-Trump rally? Given the violence common to anti-Trump rallies lately there will likely be a LOT of on-edge folks around, LEO and others, where the thrust and focus of the event is not about guns for either side.

I wouldn't go unarmed - like American Express, I don't leave home without it - but this is one case where the benefits of OC (my default mode) just don't stand up to the negatives.

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast