Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Exclamation Is this truly a reason for denial?

Prior threads providing the story leading up to this point (in chronological order):

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...t-verdict.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...challenge.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...r-45-days.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...verturned.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...on-denial.html
    ~gnbrotz

" Arrested for a felony or misdemeanor of the second degree or higher it the last 15 years"
    Is this the law or a VIOLATION OF MY RIGHTS
    Last edited by gnbrotz; July 24th, 2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added links to previous related threads

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Is thi truly a reason for deniel

Quote Originally Posted by michael v. 1977 View Post
    " Arrested for a felony or misdemeanor of the second degree or higher it the last 15 years"
    Is this the law or a VIOLATION OF MY RIGHTS
    Huh?

Please provide the following:
    1) Where did you see that phrase?
    2) What were you trying to do?
    3) Why do you think it applies to you?

It doesn't sound like a question from a Form 4473, and while your quote is pretty mangled, it could be from an LtCF application.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    Huh?

Please provide the following:
    1) Where did you see that phrase?
    2) What were you trying to do?
    3) Why do you think it applies to you?

It doesn't sound like a question from a Form 4473, and while your quote is pretty mangled, it could be from an LtCF application.
    Yes sir, more information is a must here.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Montgomery County)

Mkay. Did some digging, (Wasn't hard, the "deniel" misspelling made the posts leap to the top of the search.) and the OP appears to have applied for an LtCF.

OP was given PWOV (Probation with out verdict, probation completed in 2003)

He received a call from the Sheriff saying his application was denied.

You waited over a month to challenge a denial? I think you will have to wait a year before you can re-apply, gnbrotz can answer that one, but I'm certain you are owed a written explanation.

To answer the question, yes, a felony conviction is sufficient to deny you an LtCF in PA, or a misdemeanor conviction of two years or greater.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Allegheny County)

Also, anything under that could be considered reason enough according to that specific sheriff. He has the ability to deny a license because of character issues, and other convictions can speak to that. Your references can too.

(Chester County)

You have 30 days to file an appeal. After that you must wait to reapply after 1 years time.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    You have 30 days to file an appeal. After that you must wait to reapply after 1 years time.
    No. After that, you can keep trying to apply but have no recourse until a year.

(Chester County)

Ahhh... ok. I thought you could not reapply for one year.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

(shawn.l writing for mike)

I went down to the sheriffs today to ask why I was denied as i had been waiting for my denial letter for nearly a month. They told me the letter had been sent out and returned undelivered.
    This is the letter they gave me there verbatim:

RE: Denial of License to Carry a Concealed Firearm

Mr. ----------

Your Application for a License to Carry a Concealed Firearm has been denied for the following reason(s):
    ARRESTED FOR A FELONY OR A MISDEMEANOR OF THE SECOND DEGREE OR HIGHER IN THE LAST FIFTEEN (15) YEARS:

1. DATE: Febuary 24, 2002 (2/24/02):
    a. Possesion of a controlled substance by an unregistered person except by prescription is unlawful - County Probation w/o Verdict-9 months.
    2. DATE: September 20, 2005 (9/20/05):
    a. Burglary-F1
    3. DATE: November 20, 2005 (11/20/05):
    a. Possesion of a controlled substance by an unregistered person except by perscription os unlawful-M
    b. Use of drug paraphanalia for purposes in violation of this act-M
    c. Recieving stolen property-M2-Plead Gulity
    d. Criminal attemt recieving stolen property

You may appeal this denial by filing an appeal, within thirty (30) days, on the form provided or by letter stating the reason for your appeal. The appeal must be recieved by the sheriff's office within thirty (30) days. Upon reciept of a timely appeal, the Sheriff's office will schedule a hearing and notify you of the date, time, and, and location for your hearing.

sincerly,

Joseph A. Rizzo, Chief Deputy
    Alleghany County Sheriffs Office
    the date of the top is June 27, 2008
    all of those listed with the exception of the guilty plea and the PWOV where charges that where dismissed.
    I already have a denial reversal letter from the PSP for the PWOV which states:
    Please be advised that your challenge concerning the recent PICS background check has resulted in a findind that you are not prohibited from the license to carry a firearm.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    Mkay. Did some digging, (Wasn't hard, the "deniel" misspelling made the posts leap to the top of the search.) and the OP appears to have applied for an LtCF.

OP was given PWOV (Probation with out verdict, probation completed in 2003)

He received a call from the Sheriff saying his application was denied.

You waited over a month to challenge a denial? I think you will have to wait a year before you can re-apply, gnbrotz can answer that one, but I'm certain you are owed a written explanation.

To answer the question, yes, a felony conviction is sufficient to deny you an LtCF in PA, or a misdemeanor conviction of two years or greater.
    If I recall, while this poster did receive a phone call notifying him of denial, he was never notified via certified mail (as required by statute):
    §6109 - Licenses
    (g) Grant or denial of license.-Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons. The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application.
    The first thing that I thought when I saw this new thread, is that he finally received his letter of notification, and the quote he was questioning was the listed reason for the denial. However, this has not been made clear. **The post above this one was made while this one way being composed. It seems to confirm my assumption.

If that is the case, the appeal clock has begun to tick. 30 days and counting......

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    No. After that, you can keep trying to apply but have no recourse until a year.
    Just curious how you arrived at this conclusion? My reading of the statute basically says you are "barred from submitting a new application" until one year has passed.
    §6114. Judicial Review.

The action of the chief of police, sheriff, county treasurer or other officer under this subchapter shall be subject to judicial review in the manner and within the time provided by 2 Pa.C.S. Ch. 7 Subch. B (relating to judicial review of local agency action). A judgment sustaining a refusal to grant a license shall not bar, after one year, a new application; nor shall a judgment in favor of the petitioner prevent the defendant from thereafter revoking or refusing to renew such license for any proper cause which may thereafter occur. The court shall have full power to dispose of all costs. (Chgd. by L.1995, Spec. Sess. 1, Act 17(8), eff 10/11/95.)
    What would be the purpose to even attempt a new application before the year has passed?
    Last edited by gnbrotz; July 24th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast