Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR lowers

(Allegheny County)

Default SBR lowers

Ok, first let me say that I don't own any lowers at all (or any ARs either). A SBR AR-15 is starting to peak my interest and wanted get a few things clarified as it pertains to having SBR and regular ARs.

1) 1 complete SBR and 1 complete Regular AR both put together
    2) 1 complete SBR and 1 complete Regular AR both put together, plus 1 SBR upper only
    3) 1 complete SBR and 1 complete Regular AR both put together, plus 1 SBR upper only and 1 regular upper only

As far as I understand ... all three of those situations are fine. It's when you have SBR lowers that do not have an upper that can get you in trouble, correct? If I had multiple lowers, the SBR lowers have to kept in a separate location, right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Centre County)

Default Re: SBR lowers

The situations you have presented are all fine though your last 2 statement is incorrect and the one before that is backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    It's when you have SBR lowers that do not have an upper that can get you in trouble, correct?
    You can the lower and not an upper... that's the correct way to do it. When you have an upper and nothing that is legal for you to put it on (SBR, MG or pistol) though you have a regular AR, that is when you can get pegged with constructive intent.

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    If I had multiple lowers, the SBR lowers have to kept in a separate location, right?
    You can store it where you want. Just keep a copy of your F1 or F4 with it.

Hope that helps.
    cheers,
    josh
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Mercer County)

you can register any lower as an SBR. It dosent matter what kind of upper you have on it. Where you get in trouble is if you have an unregistered lower with an SBR upper on it. but once a lower is registered as an SBR you can do whatever you want with it. I think if you change uppers to a different caliber and the lower is not registered for that caliber thats also bad but im not sure on that one. I know its true with MACs but im not sure about ARs.
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys ... that helps out a lot
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by elitefirearms View Post
    you can register any lower as an SBR. It dosent matter what kind of upper you have on it. Where you get in trouble is if you have an unregistered lower with an SBR upper on it. but once a lower is registered as an SBR you can do whatever you want with it. I think if you change uppers to a different caliber and the lower is not registered for that caliber thats also bad but im not sure on that one. I know its true with MACs but im not sure about ARs.
    what if the caliber on the lower says "Multi"?
    This Space For Rent

Quote Originally Posted by elitefirearms View Post
    I think if you change uppers to a different caliber and the lower is not registered for that caliber thats also bad but im not sure on that one. I know its true with MACs but im not sure about ARs.
    That is incorrect, both about ARs and "MACs"

The BATFE only requires notification of a perminant change. (**as of 4:30PM today** )
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    what if the caliber on the lower says "Multi"?

In Block 4c of the Form 1, You have to list the Caliber, Gauge or Size. As I understand, you cannot write "Multi" in that block when you submit your Form 1 for approval. My SBR Lower has Multi on the side, but the paperwork lists 5.56/.223, so that is how that issue is covered if you have one of the few Lower Receivers (AR-15) that has Multi on the side. As Stated, if you make any permanent changes, you can submit a letter informing the ATF of the change. Same goes with any changes of the overall length, its a good idea to keep them updated on that type of change too.
    Last edited by GLHX2112; August 4th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.

(Chester County)

since there is a thread about this I have a few questions as I am filling out the paperwork for my SBR as we speak.

The form asks for the length of the barrel and overall length of the rifle. I know my barrel is 14.5" as it stands now. If in the future I want to make it shorter what would be the process for that? Is there a way to avoid having to inform them of a change (by listing a certain length now?). Also for overall length what would I put for that? I just have a stripped lower and a colt upper currently, no buttstock, and I know the two items can't go anywhere near each other until I have it registered anyway.

(Lebanon County)

Once you register it as an SBR you may put any length barrel on without additional paperwork. F1 with a 14.5 you may still slap on a 10.5 It does not matter once the lower is reg. as a SBR...

(Chester County)

cool, what about overall length of the gun? what do I put there then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast