Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default HB 718 – Right to Transport Firearms Rep Krieger 2015-2016 legislative effort

Read the of text of HB 718 Right to Transport Firearms HERE

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...&type=B&bn=718
    As a Quick review of HB 718 Right to Transport Firearms

– Sponsor: Rep. Krieger

– Subject: Modifies PA Transportation of Firearms Law in regard to the transportation of unloaded firearms in Section 6106(b) of Title 18.

Currently you can only transport unloaded firearms to limited destinations without any stops for any reason, no exceptions. This legislation will remove inconsistencies in the law and also benefit travelers from other states who transport firearms through PA.

Gun owners (who do not possess a License to Carry a Concealed Firearm) can ‘only’ transport lawfully owned and unloaded firearms (definition in Title 18-§6102) to four places (not counting hunting) with NO STOPS in travel?

* To & from a gun club.

* To & from a ‘licensed’ FFL dealer

* To & from a recreational home

* To & from the police to surrender or recover a firearm.

* To & from hunting with license (seasonal).

* This language does ‘not’ allow for ANY STOPS for ANY reason and that includes fueling vehicles, dining out, and even denying restroom stops.

* Being found guilty of violating this law carries a ‘lifelong loss of the right to own a firearm’.

* This criminal violation requires NO mens rea (guilty mind/criminal intent).

HB 718 adds a simple section of the law to correct the problem

section (17) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing, using, controlling, selling, transferring or manufacturing a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose if, during such transportation, the firearm is not loaded and not for purposes prohibited by UFA

* Protects citizens against unintentional violations of the law and unwarranted and specious prosecutions.

This concept did NOT get a vote and didn't move despite this bill in the past session having 99 of 203 Reps as a co sponsor.

This is coming back for the 2015-2016 legislative session as you can read from this memo

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...cosponId=11568

MEMORANDUM
    Posted: December 24, 2014 12:19 PM

To: All House members

Subject: Request for Cosponsorship - Right to Transport Firearms (Former HB718)

In the near future, I intend to reintroduce legislation that was introduced last session as House Bill 1668. This legislation will clarify the existing state law pertaining to the legal transportation of firearms in Pennsylvania. The current law is confusing and unnecessarily complex. This may be best illustrated by quoting just one of the 15 paragraphs related to the topic, which permits a private individual to transport firearms as follows:

"from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal, or
    back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or
    from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling back, or to recover stolen property under
    section 6111.1(b)(4)(relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach
    the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been
    directed to relinquish firearms under Pa.C.S.6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale,
    lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back up return of the relinquished firearm..."
    My legislation will replace this language and similar provisions with a more general principle, i.e., you may transport
    a firearm for a lawful purpose as long as it is unloaded. The concept of legal transportation for a "lawful purpose"
    comes from federal law as well as the laws of states as varied as Vermont, Iowa and Michigan. Further, this
    legislation will clarify language in our current transportation law related to reciprocal recognition of individuals
    licensed to carry a firearm in another state.

Previous Co-sponsors: KRIEGER, BROOKS, PICKETT, SNYDER, MAJOR, TALLMAN, SACCONE, GRELL, CUTLER, MOUL, HENNESSEY, REESE, DUNBAR, METCALFE, AUMENT, BENNINGHOFF, MILLARD, LAWRENCE, CAUSER, EVERETT, HESS, EMRICK, LUCAS, KAUFFMAN, D. COSTA, REED, FLECK, ROCK, MARSHALL, KORTZ, M. K. KELLER, GABLER, C. HARRIS, MAHONEY, CLYMER, GROVE, STEVENSON AND MULLERY

Read the of text of HB 718 Right to Transport Firearms HERE
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...&type=B&bn=718

Here was last session effort on PAFOA

2011-12 Getting rid of NO STOPS clause with the transportation of gun w/o LTCF

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...-w-o-ltcf.html

HB 718 – Right to Transport Firearms Rep Krieger 2013-2014 legislative effort
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ve-effort.html
    See next post on contacting the Reps for passage of HB 718, as it shouldn't be a crime in PA to transport unloaded lawfully owned firearms without a LTCF permit
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: HB 718 – Right to Transport Firearms Rep Krieger 2015-2016 legislative effort

Saving for Rep email address

busy right now to post
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: HB 718 – Right to Transport Firearms Rep Krieger 2015-2016 legislative effort

saving for future updates will delete IF not used

Passionate about protecting the 2nd A. Consider coming to HBG on May 12, 2015 Read details here

2015 2nd Amendment Action Day & lobbying event.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/political-138...ing-event.html

(Chester County)

What the hell is wrong with this state. We had a republican governor and held the house and senate. We get a bill passed at the last minute that might have been done wrong and possibly declared unconstitutional on grounds of passage. Now we have some pro gun bills proposed with an anti gun governor.

Does anyone else see something wrong here? When people say NY style laws will never pass here fool themselves. I honestly think the republicans don't want to change any of this.

This is not just guns. They had 4 years to do what they pleased and make this state better but they did nothing. They were worried about the liqueur stores. Pennsylvania is a beautiful state but the politicians are terrible and corrupt.

(Adams County)

This, like so many other subjects, shouldn't be rocket science. You should be allowed to transport your unloaded firearm (or loaded handgun with a LTCF) any place in this state that you want, provided that it's for a lawful intent. If you have your new rifle in your car on your way to a friends house to show it off and decide you'd like a bottle of iced tea for the ride a stop at Turkey Hill shouldn't result in a criminal record. Now if you decide to rob the store with said rifle while you are there it's a whole separate issue.
    J.L. Weaver

(Berks County)

I'll be contacting my reps post-haste; this is a correction that's long overdue.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

I strongly support this legislation. I believe the governor will veto it on ideological grounds.

(Allegheny County)

I thought you could also transport a firearm to a class unloaded without a LTCF.
    Is this not the case then as it isn't listed and isn't one of the 4 although 5 appear to be listed.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    I strongly support this legislation. I believe the governor will veto it on ideological grounds.
    Maybe.... maybe he'll want something for his trouble.

The GOP is slowly squeezing Wolf.

(Chester County)

This is much overdue and I'll be supporting this with full force.

I'll be contacting my reps shortly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast