Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Confused on School property

I am going to drop off some papers for my step son in a couple of minutes, or after I get a response here. I am dropping them off at the school admin building. Is it ok to CC there? Thanks for help in advance.

Default Re: Confused on School property

Quote Originally Posted by joe15003 View Post
    I am going to drop off some papers for my step son in a couple of minutes, or after I get a response here. I am dropping them off at the school admin building. Is it ok to CC there? Thanks for help in advance.
    NO. No guns on school property.

(Allegheny County)

no one really knows the answer to that question.

there is a state law generally against carrying a gun in a school. however, the law contains an exception for several enumerated purposes for carrying as well as "other lawful purposes".

if you read the text of the law for what it says, then CCing with an LTCF would be OK as it is a "lawful purpose".

however, courts often arbitrarily redefine the english language, and there is reason to be concerned that the courts would redefine what the text of this law says so as to disqualify CCing with an LTCF as an "other lawful purpose" (by either redefining "lawful" to mean "official" or redefining "other lawful purpose" to mean "a second purpose in addition to the simple purpose of legally carrying the gun for self-defense").

of course, if no one knows about the gun, nothing is going to happen.

(Chester County)

I am not a lawyer.

§912. Possession of Weapon on School Property.

(a) Definition.—Notwithstanding the definition of “weapon” in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), “weapon” for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense—It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.
    It's a touchy subject... Assuming you have your LTCF, there is that "other lawful purpose" part of the defense.

Most here though will tell you to leave it in the car or at home.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Beaver County)

I do have a LTCF. I am just confused if it is legal or not. The area were the admin building is located is not the best of areas. Hints this article. http://timesonline.com/articles/2008...a004658877.txt

This did happen near the building but the men were caught....but I refuse to be a victim.

(Allegheny County)

I am just confused if it is legal or not.
    join the club.

er, well, i would say i am confused about whether the courts will apply the actual law as written or make up their own...but effectively it is the same confusion.

but I refuse to be a victim.
    me too. all i can say is i have never been arrested, cited, charged, detained, or otherwise interacted with on any level by anyone for CCing in a school.

(Chester County)

Then I would say to you that... concealed means keep it concealed. Carrying concealed with a LTCF is lawful. However, if it is found out, you maybe be in for a world of trouble. The public is paranoid about guns in schools.

It's your call.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Monroe County)

If you get caught with it in a school building, you will very likely be arrested. In any event, you will have a bad experience. If you do it, don't get caught doing it. All legal, illegal questions aside, we are not talking about the legality of it, we are talking about the reality of it. If you carry it into a school building, make sure you do not print or otherwise unwittingly allow it to be noticed. Take it for what it's worth....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

If you do CC into a school, make sure you don't have to pass thru a metal detector

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    If you do CC into a school, make sure you don't have to pass thru a metal detector
    Good point. Kind of removes that whole concealed part doesn't it.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast