Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
There are a few things that you can do to increase accuracy out of your gun (removing the shooter as a variability).

1. Quality barrel
2. Upper receiver that has a tight fit to the barrel extension. The barrel extension should not easily slip in and out of the receiver.
3. Bolt
4. Free float rail

To get precision out of the gun, the shooter has to become consistent and a good trigger will help you do that.

Good tip if you want to check your rifle's accuracy. If you're doing a 5-round group (as you should be doing), put a cheap 6th round in there and pop it off into the berm before you do your grouping. Part of precision is consistency and this allows the BCG to cycle the same from 1st to 5th round. This was taught to me by a guy that knows a thing or two about murdering things from far away.
One piece I've wondered about since I got the AR bug is the bolt. I ask this out of genuine curiosity & not to start an argument.

I understand how you can increase the precision of your rifle by using a better barrel, free float tubes & better trigger etc. I know a better fit & options on the upper / lower / stock can make life easier through better controls (or by just making it prettier). But I do wonder, how does a more expensive bolt actually affect the chambered round to increase accuracy? I get that it should be machined well & close tightly. Does a more expensive bolt close tighter or more straight somehow? I thought some of the coatings were essentially to make them easier to clean & need less lubrication.