Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Mifflin County)

Default Re: National Open Carry Day, July 04, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb92 View Post
    Damnit!!! I am going to MD for the holiday. That's out for me...
    Yeah, me too. I'm in Ocean City already. Someone back home OC for both of us.

(York County)

I followed ThomasJ's link. That is some messed up stuff right there. 2 deptartments, a dectective and the dispatcher, none of which have a baseline knowledge of the laws in the state where they work. I hope they get it worked out in the meeting with OHCC members they have scheduled.

P.S. The links to the calls I could not get volume on but I wish I could have heard them.

Dave
    3%

I just listened to the audio files.

"We're concerned that he just popped his girlfriend..."

This is the heart of the problem here, and everywhere. People see a gun, and the automatic assumption is that the owner must be some sort of criminal, and most likely just committed a crime, or is about to commit a crime. This is the result of the constant drumbeat in the media and from the left that guns are bad, and guns will cause normal, law abiding people to run amok committing mayhem at the slightest provocation.

To anyone who wants to OC, this is what we are up against. I for one am ready to fight that impression, and to work every day of my public life to show people that guns and gun owners are normal, everyday people. This is the only way we are going to reclaim our rights fully, by swaying the general population to our side of the argument.

Maybe I'll carry two guns tomorrow.

(Erie County)

I have to take mine off. I am driving to my brothers house in Western NY.

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: National Open Carry Day, July 04, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I might be way off base, but if I had to venture a guess, the original OP in those threads seems to be our own DaveM55. And I read it as if he was starting off as if he had a problem with it, as if to see the reactions. Again, I could be wrong....

I was not surprised to see those reactions. "You won't find a bigger supporter of 2A rights, but....." "If somebody wants to be the bullet trap...." "It's just dumb" " Sounds like a bunch of show boaters.....".....

Police, in general, whether they know the law or not, don't like OC and will often go out of their way to make sure you understand just how much they don't think you should do it. Right or wrong, that is just the way it seems to me.
    You hit a home run headcase, that's me. IMHO, there is an elevated risk OCing and I'm not excited about that. Again IMHO, there is an OC orgy going on across several forums and I am cautious about seeing a of bunch new guys jumping on the bandwagon for the day.

BTW, I'll be OCing all day in uniform and any private citizen I see OCing gets a friendly hello. I usually make sure all the other deputies I work a detail with are aware of the law.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by nra-life-member View Post
    That's the nice thing about the Sheriffs - they are elected..
    That really has little bearing on it. The sheriff may get involved if someone calls him up asking him to revoke your permit, but in the day to day reality of OC, they are not really involved. It is the actual patrolling police, state and local, who intrude upon your OC experience. A few don't care, a few are rabidly against it, but most seem to be willing to discuss it with you, after they have determined you are not a threat. I have had more than one run in in the past month or so, and in the interest of being even handed in my reporting, it is not always roses and butterflies. The reality of daily OC is that you may go months or even years without a negative incident, but there is always the possibility of getting jacked. If you do get jacked, the further reality is that it will most likely be a minimum invasion of your rights and you will have no legal recourse. With the general awareness of OC rising among LEO's, it is getting more and more unlikely that a Dickson City type of incident will happen to you, but that is not what I'm talking about. A cop can make your life miserable in more than a few different ways, without technically crossing the line of rights infringement or doing anything illegal enough to get him in trouble. Unless of course you are independently wealthy. Then you have the advantage in the who can make whose life more miserable game. The reality for most of us, is that we have to walk a fine line when dealing with police, or jump in with both feet and deal with the legal consequences. Like I have said before, while it will probably all come out in the legal wash, way in your favor, it might not and your life will change either way. If you choose to OC, make sure you do it in a manner that is in no way illegal, and stay away from legal grey areas, unless you have the means to launch a legal battle.

By no way illegal, I mean, have your LTCF if you get in a car, don't do it on school property, don't touch your firearm in an effort to show it off to an interested party, don't argue with private property owners about your rights. In the event you have an leo encounter, be polite and calm. Carry a digital voice recorder. An even better choice would be to OC with someone else whenever possible.

We are in the early stages of a transitional period where people who either don't believe OC is legal, or they don't know either way, but don't like the idea, are finding out it is legal and that they are really powerless to do anything about it. That doesn't tend to sit well with people used to being all powerful. Be aware. Use your head. Individually, we only have the rights we can afford to enforce, at this point. Do what you can afford to do.

I OC. I believe deeply in ALL of our rights. I have also had my eyes opened to the daily reality of the difference between the idea of a right and the practical application of having a right. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is. If you are not prepared for the possibilities, don't OC. Just trying to keep it real...
    Last edited by headcase; July 3rd, 2008 at 08:52 PM.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    You hit a home run headcase, that's me. IMHO, there is an elevated risk OCing and I'm not excited about that. Again IMHO, there is an OC orgy going on across several forums and I am cautious about seeing a of bunch new guys jumping on the bandwagon for the day.

BTW, I'll be OCing all day in uniform and any private citizen I see OCing gets a friendly hello. I usually make sure all the other deputies I work a detail with are aware of the law.
    It would be nice to hear of your encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by nra-life-member View Post
    IMO - if this is a real cop, he/she needs to find another profession.. Sounds like the Job has taken it's toll.

Correct me here if I am off base..
    IMHO, you are off base, but if you aren'ta cop it's understandable. You really do need to be aware of the fact that just about anybody you come into contact with might try to kill you. Just ask the housewife that stabbed me!!

You have to somehow maintain that awareness, without becoming a paranoid prick on duty and off.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Yeah, me too. I'm in Ocean City already. Someone back home OC for both of us.
    Gotcha covered!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    IMHO, you are off base, but if you aren'ta cop it's understandable. You really do need to be aware of the fact that just about anybody you come into contact with might try to kill you. Just ask the housewife that stabbed me!!

You have to somehow maintain that awareness, without becoming a paranoid prick on duty and off.
    Exactly, detaining an OC'er walking down the street,is nothing like going into a domestic.
    +1 for the not being a prick statement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast