Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default new here, some questions and etc

I hang out at the opencarry.org forums but being as I live right under the PA line in MD ( 1 freekin mile), I should be here too.

I'd like to know who OC's in southern York county. Today I saw a man briskly leaving the Shrewsbury Walmart at about 5pm. He was open carrying. The last time I saw someone OCing in these parts was last summer at the #1 Sezhuan Chinese place. Both were younger men, though I am not sure if the same guy. Maybe 30's, dressed clean, gun on right hip. Todays was a tall slender man who was wearing a greyish looking shirt arranged around the holster, as if he wanted the gun to be noticed.

Was that anyone here by chance? I posted at the opencarry.org PA board earlier, but no one came and said it was them- not yet at least.

I have been wanting to meet with people who OC, and if there are some right nearby I would love to find out who you are! Being as since I live in the commie state of MD, I would like to feel like an American and PA is so close.

I haven't had the nerve yet to OC in York county, it is not commonplace if I have had but 2 sightings in the Shrewsbury etc area. My concern is not general people asking stuff or making comments, but someone calling the police on me and my having to deal with them. I have no idea if the S York county and local SP are properly educated on OC.

Next I am wondering if OC is legal on the rail trail. It says no weapons on the signs, but I understand the state pre-empts this, however is that for ccw? Is the rail trail a state park?

BTW I am female and as my user name suggests I have an XD40 ( also an XD9 subcompact). If you are around the Shrewsbury etc area and see some younger looking( actually 35, look younger to most people) heavyset lady wearing bullet casing wristbands, that is me! I am a taxidermist and an artist. Hmm and I like coyotes ( and hate them LOL). Wanting to trap one of the buggers and so far red foxes keep clogging my traps up LOL

Yes I also will be getting a FL nonres concealed lisc reciprical with PA, in case anyone is wondering.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: new here, some questions and etc

Welcome! Why not just pack up and move the mile

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

You know I tried it for 2 years but got very mired in bills. Being self employed can really stink. Taxidermy is one of those feast and famine professions, and I just wasn't getting the workload required to pay for mortgage, gas bill, etc. So I sold the place and moved back to the parent's property over the line. Yes I am embarrassed! But being here with little overhead ( just pay partial electric bill, plus my ph bill) allows me to actually have some spare money! I bought 2 guns with it last year.

My place was on Main St Shrewsbury, and I didn't even know about concealed or open carry- dumb me! Not that I could afford a suitable sidearm at the time.... Freedom Armory was across the street even yet- was before they built the new facility.

It took VA Tech to open my eyes to all this gun stuff like ccw and OC, though I am certainly no gun newbie, have had a .22 revolver for a bunch of years, and went to a range twice back in my college days with a college buddy and his very gun owning dad, fired a .22 pistol, some 9mm pistols and an M-11 in semi auto ( though it was a class 3 the range did not allow full auto). Not an NRA member, but a guy I knew a few years back gave me some American Rifleman mags he got ahold of and I couldn't stop reading in awe the armed citizen section. Growing up I was never exposed to guns, the interest just started coming out at age 17. My parents are not antis, but I am sure they roll their eyes over me often enough LOL- like today when I couldn't wait to tell them I saw someone OCing.

BTW I try to get people into shooting handguns as often as possible. In general customers more used to shotguns and rifles, or one woman who gets all the animal skulls from me. We both went to the same college, yet never met while there, so there is another common thing between us. She was all interested in guns while here on sunday, so I let her fire a few rounds out of the .40. I have a customer who called today asking about his deer ( he should know it's way too early!). I think he just wanted to ask about bringing his Glock over here LOL. Well he lives only a couple miles away, he could come over any time!

(Philadelphia County)

Come on over :-)

(Franklin County)

Welcome to PAFOA! I think you'll find more ongoing discussion here about OC in PA that what's on OCDO.

There's currently a major event being planned for July 19. The exact location isn't set yet, but will likely be somewhere in Palmyra/Lebanon area. I'm sure there will be some smaller events in the meantime that may be not too far from you also.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Hopefully something will be set up in my driving comfort zone. I don't like driving far and OC will make me very nervous my first time, so if first time means going to an OC gathering, the last thing I need is to be driving nervously. Hanover I could handle, Red Lion, Fawn Grove, Leader Heights, just to to give an idea. Out of that and my comfort zone erases. Stewartstown, Shrewsbury,Winterstown, Glen Rock, New Freedom- no problems at all.

BTW since I don't have a concealed permit yet ( could be 3-4 months), how would I put a loaded gun on my hip before going into the place we all meet at? Would standing at my truck in a parking lot, door open and handling a gun out of a holster be considered brandishing?

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post

BTW since I don't have a concealed permit yet ( could be 3-4 months), how would I put a loaded gun on my hip before going into the place we all meet at? Would standing at my truck in a parking lot, door open and handling a gun out of a holster be considered brandishing?
    Actually without the license to carry firearms (LTCF) you cannot legally carry your weapon in your vehicle, except under a few very specific conditions. Going out to dinner, is not one of them. Some are: going home from place of purchase of gun, going to and from shooting range, to or from gunsmith for repairs. And then the firearm must be unloaded and not be near any ammo and out of your reach while driving. Again, this is without your LTCF.

Can I OC with permission of a landowner who has land going right to the state line, then gingerly step over that line in the northerly direction? LOL

As to the OC at a gathering, then how in heck would someone without a concealed permit do it? Pray tell, when will PA get rid of that silly MD style transport law? Now I gotta wait months and months?

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post

As to the OC at a gathering, then how in heck would someone without a concealed permit do it? Pray tell, when will PA get rid of that silly MD style transport law? Now I gotta wait months and months?
    About the only way would be to strap it on in your home and WALK to the meeting place and walk back ... all the time OPEN carrying your firearm. That would be legal as apple pie, except in Philly, where you need the license to open carry there.

(Franklin County)

Another option would be to have a PA LTCF holder meet you at the state line, take possession of your firearm and legally 'carry' it for you the the parking lot of the restaurant, where it could be returned to your possession and legally OC'd during the dinner. Reverse the process to get back home.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast