Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Army evaluating new BRM qualifications - "Combat Shoot" Marksmanship

Quote Originally Posted by spabula View Post
    you are correct everyman is an infantryman first.... but I think of that fairly loosely. I think it should be more, every soldier can see combat. I doubt the Army is going to form a company of infantry out of mechanics and cooks and make them go sweep
    You better think again, it was the 2nd echelon guys that pulled the Blackhawk down crew out of the crap. Every Army unit is responsible for it's own security and every soldier regardless of rank or MOS must be proficeint in basic Infantry skills

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Army evaluating new BRM qualifications - "Combat Shoot" Marksmanship

I couldnt agree more. I think my posts maybe weren't worded very well. When I was mentioned not as MOSs would necessarily need it I was specifically thinking of a very select few, I was not talking about what was once considered "non-combat" MOSs. I think it is a good idea. The mission of the military has vasted changed in recent years. More training would be good for all troops. I think both should be done. I haven't been in for a while so I'm sure ALOT of things have changed.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(York County)

Sounds good to me. But I don't think that all service men and women need the new combat shoot practice. I like it.

BB
    3%

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in PA View Post
    If they are ADDING this, then, good. If they think they will add or sub this on the two weeks TOTAL including all the dry fire exercises (bring your own dime) oh boy......
    Ahhh yes, nothing like ruining a nice chrome lined barrel by shoving a steel rod down the barrel

I think Combat MOSs should qualify on this as well as the standard pop ups. I think all MOSs should at least go through it, multiple times. A chef should know what to expect, but expecting him to qualify on it is a little stretch.

(Susquehanna County)

Look guys, I don't mean to jump on anyone but. BRM QUALIFICATION, must be the same throughout the Army. If a particular unit wants to provide additional training requirements for it's soldiers, as long as they have the appropriate allocations of ammo and supplies, drive on! But every soldier that carries a rifle as his/her basic weapon must fire the same QUALIFICATION course. Secondly there is no such thing as a NON-COMBAT MOS. If a Division is short riflemen and you come through their repple-depot as a messkit repairman you can and probably will be re-assigned as a rifleman. Cooks, mechanics, radiomen, clerks, and even medics are armed and expected to defend themselves. The only exceptions that I was ever aware of was, Chaplains, Doctors and frontline medics. And there were even exceptions to those also.

BTW: In my former company the Mess Section had two 21/2 ton trucks with ring mounted Ma Dueces. The Mess Section was my Anti-Aircraft detail, my QRF was a combination of my Maintenance Section and my off-shift commo-men.

(Lehigh County)

I understand about the non combat MOSs that is why i had it in quotes. When I was in that is what most refered to MOSs not of the 11,12, or 13 series. I just wanted to clarify.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    You better think again, it was the 2nd echelon guys that pulled the Blackhawk down crew out of the crap.
    I assume by "2nd echelon" you mean combat troops and by "crap" you mean successful mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Look guys, I don't mean to jump on anyone but. BRM QUALIFICATION, must be the same throughout the Army. If a particular unit wants to provide additional training requirements for it's soldiers, as long as they have the appropriate allocations of ammo and supplies, drive on!
    If? Want? What exactly do you think combat units do during the years they are not in combat? Clean weapons, buff floors, and litter patrol? Not exactly.

Not to pick on you either, and sorry to single you out twice - it's not for YOUR benefit, I just think these are confusing messages to people that don't know.

(Monroe County)

Basically this new qual course is in addition to the standard pop ups. And yes, everyone should have to qualify on both. As I said before, your MOS means nothing in todays missions, as is realized on a daily basis in the Iraq and Afghan AOs. You can be a mail clerk walking from the barracks to the dining facility and find yourself in a fire fight today. I think it is a great disservice to every troop to not have them as ready as they can be...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Cambria County)

I like the shoot/no-shoot targets. That is something all soldiers should have been required to train with years ago.

(Venango County)

Heck, Korea and Vietnam taught us as much. (Except we did not learn)

Where's the front?
    Draw a circle around yourself, private!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast