Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Selling an AR without a transfer to someone I don't know

So I'm going to sell one of my AR-15s which I have been planning to sell for awhile. I have a buyer, but I don't know him. I know you can sell long guns with out a transfer, but I would feel better doing it anyway. The buyer doesn't want to do a transfer even if I pay for it, since he knows its not required.

What if I sell it without a transfer and its used in a crime, can that come back to me? I'm just not totally sure on how safe it is to sell it without the transfer.

Default Re: Selling an AR without a transfer to someone I don't know

Write out a bill of sale, a copy of his DL or at least copy the info down and ask if he has LTCF and request to see that it is valid and copy down the LTCF #.

I've sold several guns over the years and no FFL was involved. No one can forecast the future and any gun, at any time can be used in a crime 20 years from now.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; January 18th, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Write out a bill of sale, a copy of his DL or at least copy the info down and ask if he has LTCF and request to see that it is valid and copy down the LTCF #.

CL
    +1

If the buyer isn't willing to do these things then maybe you should rethink selling. I'm sure there is no shortage of folks looking to buy right now.

(Lehigh County)

Use this one, i use it for every rifle sale.

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/32...-free-use.html

Seller beware....I don't know anyone that would willingly sell a rifle to a prohibited person. The ONLY way for a private person to know if the person is prohibited or not is if they do an FFL transfer.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfords90 View Post
    So I'm going to sell one of my AR-15s which I have been planning to sell for awhile. I have a buyer, but I don't know him. I know you can sell long guns with out a transfer, but I would feel better doing it anyway. The buyer doesn't want to do a transfer even if I pay for it, since he knows its not required.

What if I sell it without a transfer and its used in a crime, can that come back to me? I'm just not totally sure on how safe it is to sell it without the transfer.
    Worst case scenario, the buyer is prohibited and plans to do something horrific and then die. That leaves you as the surviving person arguably most responsible, and we've seen in Florida how the media can make the govt crucify an innocent man just to satisfy the public's concerns of the moment.

So cover your butt. The UFA gives you immunity for any transfer that goes through an FFL. Anything else you try (such as insisting on photocopying his PA LTCF) is just a defense, that might work or it might not. Even without compelling evidence that you knew he was prohibited, a private transfer allows the DA to prosecute you and roll the dice. That's good news for defense lawyers, who you will gladly pay to protect you. It's not such good news for you.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

I won't use an FFL to purchase a long gun unless it's something I really, really, REALLY want, and the seller won't sell otherwise.

Aside from that, I just keep looking. He doesn't have to change his terms for me and I don't have to accept his terms. At least for now.

As for the OP, it's your call. I don't sell often, so I'm not faced with such dilemmas, but I can certainly understand the concerns, as they are valid ones.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for all the replys!

Yea Im not a gambling man so I'm going to definetly have it transferred through a dealer or no sale then.

(Allegheny County)

I know some people who don't want to go through an FFL because they're worried about an (illegal) ATF registry being compiled via the NICS system, which could be used for confiscation in the future. So it's not necessarily an indication that he's prohibited.

But as others said, it's a seller's market so it's wise to cover your butt and insist on an FFL.

(Dauphin County)

That seems like a good decision. If you are willing to pay the fee only hassle to teh buyer would be the time to get the call through to the Instant Back Ground Check...those phone lines are tied up right now. Your the seller if he doesnt like your terms then no sale.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast