Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An anti's rant

Default Re: An anti's rant

From the CDC....

Motor vehicle crashes are one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. More than 2.3 million adult drivers and passengers were treated in emergency departments as the result of being injured in motor vehicle crashes in 2009.

LINKY

-OR-

In 2005, the most recent year for which data are available, 45,520 deaths in the United States were related to motor vehicle.
    from the CDC too http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5807a1.htm

Let's ban his car ...
    Last edited by radnor; December 8th, 2012 at 08:06 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Ask him to check the violent crime rates in Uk, Russia, etc, places with strict gun control.

Bad people will do bad things, with or without guns. A murderer/criminal what-have-you is going to use anything that at that time that can harm/kill you. Weapon of Opportunity.

How many videos have you seen/ articles read about people trying to or succeeding a robbery with a knife/bat or something along those lines. Hell, I've seen a few with guys using giant sticks.

9/11 happened because of fucking box cutters, if you recall. Which, when you think about it, would be pretty unwieldy if it ever came down to a fight.

Here's a quick google search for highest intentional homicides.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
    USA is lumped into the general "Americas" category, but you get my point.

According to this, our violent crime rate is at the lowest it's been in 3 decades.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

Point out Swiss ownership of firearms, and how they have one of the safest, if not happiest societies in the world.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1566715.stm
    "Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept.
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

(York County)

A downloadable PDF from the CDC has Firearm homicides at nearly double every other form of homicide. Not to mention that the data here is trying to prove a host of different things.The gun is just a tool, if there were no guns, knife homicides or some other tool would take the guns place since homicides would still occur even if there were no guns.

On the other hand, guns are designed to kill. That is their function and purpose. It can be anything from rodents to humans - they are designed to shoot a piece of metal with the ultimate goal of ending a life. In cases where they don't end life, it usually keeps the person maimed.Guns are designed to shoot a projectile,period. It is the use of the gun which is up to the owner, whether it be target shooting, hunting, self-protection, etc, that decides if the projectile will be used to kill.

A crazy person cannot walk into a movie theater with a baseball bat and kill dozens. A person cannot walk into a mall with a bat and kill dozens. A person cannot sit in a trunk and snipe people with a baseball bat. I disagree, bats, knives, homemade explosives are just as deadly.

The American mentality is that we deserve guns because a horribly outdated document says we can have them. Yet we as a society don't understand the ramifications of holding a fire arm - most of us think of them as toys, or objects of glory and power. That's a societal issue. Quite frankly, as soon as the lib calls the Constitution a horribly outdated document, it's not even worth my breath to argue with them, they are mentally ill.

The fact that we have the most lax gun control laws and the highest rate of gun related crimes is probably just a coincidence. But hey, that's cool, it makes us free. I like freedom, if he doesnt, tough shit.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    A crazy person cannot walk into a movie theater with a baseball bat and kill dozens. A person cannot walk into a mall with a bat and kill dozens. A person cannot sit in a trunk and snipe people with a baseball bat.
    9/11 tought us that you can kill thousands with box cutters............. Is it wrong to hate Liberals?.........NO! ....... Talking to an anti gun liberal for 30 seconds is like sticking a frigg'in ice pic in my eye!
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(Venango County)

If you are not 'crazy' or drugged out or emotional, one can kill just as many people with a baseball bat or knife as one can with a gun.

It just takes more paitience and skill to accomplish your 'task'. You want to pick the right targets, get position on them from behind in a secluded area and, well, one can guess the rest.

If you get them out on the first swing, there won't be much noise, if any at all. Guns make a lot of noise. Most shooters in public spaces don't get very far or last too long. A bat wielding assassin could kill hundreds if they do it right.

Saying a person cannot mass kill in a crowded movie theater with a baseball bat is like saying an armed person won't be able to mass kill very many on the DMZ in Korea even with a firearm. It's just not the right tool or motive for the job.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the replies, and links!!

He stopped talking. LOL. So I don't know if he just gave up or what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

(Allegheny County)

As has been shown previously, and repeatedly over the last 30 years, gun control is not statistically significant in reducing violent crime involving guns.

Why?

The largest percentage of gun related violent crime involves gangs and drugs, and they don't care about gun control laws.

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    So I'm having a bit of a go around with this guy. His argument is this:
    Interesting. Don't waste time arguing with the intellectually dishonest. It's not worth your time. If you need to respond, ask him to look at the other death rates the CDC provides, and see how auto accidents and medical errors stack up against gun deaths (hint: doctors and cars kill more people, if I remember correctly).

Then see above about not wasting time arguing with the intellectually dishonest.

(Delaware County)

I've stopped trying to educate people like that

I now prefer to make them look at stupid as possible in front of as many people as possible.

That seems to end the conversation for good

(Franklin County)

His argument is flawed because guns exists... As long as guns exists and criminals have access to them, all law abiding citizens should have the same access to protect them self and their families...

I say the same thing to people who ask why we need access to these scary looking tactical rifles and shotguns... My answer is always: "The bad guys have the same access if not worse". Its why police carry more than a pistol in their squad car anymore. Guns will keep evolving, criminals will always find a way to access them, therefore the home protection model will have to evolve to keep up.

If all else fails, ask him if he would be willing to put a sign in his yard reading: "This household is gun free".
    Last edited by Rider4Life01; December 9th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast