Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: We want your ideas!

Allow people who have posted classified items to delete their threads, once the item is sold.

I apologize if this capability is already there, but I couldn't find how to do it.

(Bucks County)

Do you think this link might be worth stickying? NFA section or where ever the Mods think is appropriate or not

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/d.../lawr_list.htm

(Lehigh County)

Question Re: We want your ideas!

I suspect that amny that are trying to sell things, don't understand that they will get replies to their adds in the form of "Private Messages".

I have expressed interest in three different items in that many days, and only got one reply!

Maybe you need to put a "FLASHING BANNER" "CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES" :-0
    Remember Me NOW!?

(Lebanon County)

The poor noobs, who never even shot a gun before aren't taken into consideration here so I suggest we create a sticky that has something to do with buying one's first firearm.

It should probably be put into the general category, and be titled: buying your first gun.

I also believe that C&R surplus rifles should be a little more officially introduced to the world with another sticky.

(Allegheny County)

Suggested Modification to "The Rules": Clear/Descriptive Thread Titles.

I've noticed a pretty large amount of threads being locked lately, as duplicates of other topics. It seems that in a lot of cases, it's because the first thread posted on the subject was not very clear pertaining to the subject matter. This leaves later posters, wishing to bring the subject to our attention, unaware that there is already an existing discussion on the subject.

A recent example would be the shootout involving the Seton-Hill student. This thread was the first, which left this far more descriptive thread locked.

If the first thread on the subject had a more informative thread title, it might have spared the moderators some time locking duplicate threads.

I don't think I would make this a punishable offense, as I think it's a pretty innocent thing, but it might be the case that moderators might want to choose the more descriptive thread to leave open, or to modify the title of the first thread to add clarity.

Just a thought...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    Suggested Modification to "The Rules": Clear/Descriptive Thread Titles.

I've noticed a pretty large amount of threads being locked lately, as duplicates of other topics. It seems that in a lot of cases, it's because the first thread posted on the subject was not very clear pertaining to the subject matter. This leaves later posters, wishing to bring the subject to our attention, unaware that there is already an existing discussion on the subject.

A recent example would be the shootout involving the Seton-Hill student. This thread was the first, which left this far more descriptive thread locked.

If the first thread on the subject had a more informative thread title, it might have spared the moderators some time locking duplicate threads.

I don't think I would make this a punishable offense, as I think it's a pretty innocent thing, but it might be the case that moderators might want to choose the more descriptive thread to leave open, or to modify the title of the first thread to add clarity.

Just a thought...
    I agree, the hard part is just getting people to actually do it. You learn pretty quickly running a forum that people don't read rules, even when they are posted in big red letters (see: Classifieds)
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

I definitely hear you on that. I do some volunteer moderating on a pretty heavily trafficked technology forum elsewhere on the internet, so I appreciate some of the challenges.

I'll even admit that I rarely read through the rules when going to a new forum, and just tend to go off of "common sense" and try to sit back and observe how things work a bit before jumping in.

I don't know that there is really too much you can do about it. It's just human nature really. How many of us read the instruction manual from cover to cover for every product we buy? Read every bit of fine print on everything we sign? It's just impractical.

The only thing I can think of to guard against this is to be clear and consistent in the enforcement of the rules. People may not read the "rule book" as a matter of practice, but they will typically notice when someone else is called out on something and file that away in their head for future reference. It's especially helpful if you clearly identify all acts of moderation as such, just to minimize confusion, since in most cases moderators are also among the most active members of the community and are posting as a regular person the majority of the time.

People seem more likely to pick up on that kind of thing and take notice, than they are to trudge through a long rule book. Eventually people (mostly) seem to pick things up. People are pretty good for the most part at seeing what everyone else around them is doing, and mimicking it.

For some humorous evidence of this: I think you can find some videos online of some pranksters forming a line to nowhere in a public place, and catching on video all of the random other people who will get at the end of the line without any idea what it is they are standing in line for. People like to emulate what they see going on around them.

(Dauphin County)

I recently became a silver supporter. I'd like to think i'm a little bit above average compared to most people when it comes to computers. I found it very difficult to give you my money to help to contribute to this wonderful site you've created. I'm 28 and grew up in the computer age. Most of the people i've received replies from have been in thier 50's. ie not that computer savvy. I think it would benefit this site if there was a big SUBSCIBE NOW on the homepage for members to subscribe.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jt0311 View Post
    I think it would benefit this site if there was a big SUBSCIBE NOW on the homepage for members to subscribe.
    I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that I've always taken the standpoint that our #1 job is not to get your money, but to get you the information you need.

In fact, before forum subscriptions existed, the only way to give us money was to find our not-very-visible donation page, which I don't believe is really linked to from anywhere.

We love that people want to support us, and we appreciate every single dime that comes in, but we try not to annoy people too much with constant pleas for money.

There's probably a careful balance that maybe we haven't found yet.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Monroe County)

Would it be possible to add a section titled "New to the forum read first", added at the beginning of the list of discussion sections? In it, I would propose sticking a couple of threads, including at the very top, one that had a few suggested reading links, like I generally put together when a newbie asks where they can carry, or if this or that is legal. Under that one, you could move the Gun rights flier thread, the where you can carry thread, the rep users guide thread, the members please use the right forums thread and the if you're new say hello thread. Then lock it up. No need for moderation except to occasionally add a thread or something.

I think it would be much more efficient than the haphazard smattering of stickies buried in five different sections, that we currently enjoy.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast