Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Prepping for my lesson

So last month I had a great private lesson with my handgun, and I'm in the process of setting one up in May where we work on drawing and shooting from the holster.

Unfortunately things have been crazy and I haven't been to my range for a few weeks and I hope that changes VERY soon...I NEED to get more practice in.

Anyhoo....

If I were to practice just drawing at home, both from my handbag and from a regular holster....is there some tip I can have to practice aiming quickly? Like do I try to catch the front sight with my eye asap, or do I just get used to having it pointed at a certain spot every time I draw?

I figure I should practice at home with an unloaded gun before I actually try to draw and shoot....and I know that's what the lesson is for but figure I should get the feel for it before I go to the lesson, so he can fine-tune me at the lesson.

I shoot decent groupings at the range (Classic Pistol, cannot practice from holster) but I am still at the stage I have to carefully aim each shot. Drawing from the holster is tons different, I assume, and I am just looking for some little tips for dry runs at home.

I do have that laser trainer that I can practice with too, at home.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Prepping for my lesson

Over time with PRACTICE the draw and fire will become all muscle memory. The sights will seem to "automatically" line up as you raise to the shooting position. Also, in time you will learn to "super-impose".. (super-imposing is not as accurate as using the sights, but for close range its effective)

Best way I have found, tape up a small (6x6 or 8x8) piece of paper on the wall or use a siluette (yes I know, spelled it wrong) target and practice your draw and dryfire. (you can use the laser to get used to it, first try it with the irons though, see how close you are.) With practice you will get better. Over time you will automatically find and line up the sights without even thinking about it and they will line up perfectly as soon as you raise to fire.

and remember

FAST is FINE
    but
    ACCURACY is FINAL

(Centre County)

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is lethal.

depending on your level of commitment and training you want to get into something like the SIRT would be of benefit

http://nextleveltraining.com/content...stol-red-slide
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is lethal
    Almost forgot that one.

(Bucks County)

with practicing at home ...... You eliminate your normal reation to the recoil by slow draw,aim,squeeze ...... no recoil better muscle memory for when you have the draw and squeeze the trigger in defense ....... Don't forget your snap caps ...... I draw at the tv,switch plates'thrmostats etc from my chair,walking to the fridg you get the idea ....... Wife thinks I'm nuts ......
    Last edited by Sharkey; March 28th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    with practicing at home ...... You eliminate your normal reation to the recoil by slow draw,aim,squeeze ...... nq recoil better muscle memory for when you have the draw and squeeze the trigger in defense ....... Don;t forget your snap caps ...... I draw at the tv,switch plates thremostats etc from my chair,walking to the fridg you get the idea ....... Wife thinks I'm nuts ......
    This is how I improved with my LC9.... I started to get my brain used to the idea of not having recoil...so then at the range if I could fool my brain into thinking it was "just like at home" my aim would be very good. Of course after a few mags I would start getting shaky and not shoot so well, but that comes with practice.

LOVE the "slow is smooth" quote...nice.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Montgomery County)

Good advise so far, I draw and dry fire a LOT. Between dry firing and range practice things do start to become automatic.

The suggestions I bring to the table.

1) Don`t get all hung up with distance, aka firing lines. In a rl situation there are no 7 yards, 10 yards, etc., where you are is where you have to deal with what is happening. Mix it up, move around a little.

2) Never accept your current skill level. Yeah, pat yourself on the back when you have a good range trip but then move on.

3) Practice Practice Practice!!! Shooting is a degradeable skill so even if you can`t get to the range dry fire and practice and become so familiar with your weapon(s) that you feel naked without them.

(Delaware County)

Watch this video.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post

So last month I had a great private lesson with my handgun, ...
    So many ways to look at this, so many questions, ... but I'll leave it alone.

One tip; try not to practice more than ten minutes at a time. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    This is how I improved with my LC9.... I started to get my brain used to the idea of not having recoil...
    When at the range.. I would pretend that the gun was empty and was just gonna go click instead of boom..

Unfortunately after a ton of trigger work, I'm gonna be learning trigger control again. You should get yourself a timer. Or any type of countdown timer prob would work.

Have your hubby time you from when you draw, aim and break the shot. Only count the shots that you hit your target where you were aiming. Use that as your benchmark time.. It might be a long time, but that is ok.. Then maybe set your goal to break your shots half second quicker, or 1 second quicker, etc.. Once you are consistent there, then lower the bar again.. Only practice/count your perfect shots.. Any idiot can quickly draw and miss.. Some miss faster than others

Start slow, you will eventually just start getting faster.. If you notice shots are straying at the faster times.. Go back to a longer time and work on where you have hanging up.. Whether it is your grip, pulling the trigger, etc..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast