Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default 25$ background check?

So I was checking one place out to buy a pistol but they told me they charge 25$ for a background check. Is that not a PICs check? Any other time elsewhere it was like 5$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

(Carbon County)

Default Re: 25$ background check?

maybe they meant transfer

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    maybe they meant transfer
    Nope they said background check in the email. That's what I thought too but they mean background check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

(Indiana County)

If a place is charging a $25 PICS fee for a gun that is in their inventory, I would go elsewhere.

If they are charging that for a transfer/consignment, then maybe if the price is good I'd think about it.

I've been noticing this of late, a place will advertise a lowball price and then if you don't ask upfront about the "transfer/registration" (yes, I still get places telling me it's registration) they will try to add on a $25 or more fee to do the PICS.

One guy at a recent show was charging $50 for the PICS.
    I noticed his prices were very good but his table lacked any customers, my brother was looking for a shotty and after pricing it, I asked for the OTD price, which ended up being $40 more than the guy a few rows over due to his $50 fee.
    Needless to say, we walked.

I just called a place last week that was advertising a good price on a Beretta Brigadier INOX, since I sold mine years ago I was interested and was going to make the drive the next day. I asked for the OTD price and after a quick rundown in my head, asked if the approx $35 extra was for the PICS. He said yes, it was for the registration.
    I told him that since PA has no registration, I felt he was trying to scam me and told him to stuff his Beretta.
    He was still stammering about how he could do something about the fees if I came in as I was hanging up on him.

In all reality, even with the $35 markup/scam the deal was still OK, but I sure am not going to help an outright crook stay in business.

(Venango County)

Profit is one thing. But trying to hide it, I don't think is right. I would prefer a place that had a price tag, that was OTD. No more of this guessing game bologna.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Centre County)

I'm not a stocking dealer but I do have people ask me to special order a gun for them (usually to put on layaway while they raise the money for it). Before I order it I will work up the price. I always give them the OTD price (my cost+my profit+plus the PICS cost ($5)+the PA sales tax). They can then decide if they want to have me order it or if they will save up the money and order it themselves. That way they know exactly how much they have to scrape together. I do have to have a deposit to do the special order, but I don't charge any layaway fees.

If they are ordering the gun themselves, or buying from an auction site or from out of state and using me as the transfer agent, I actually use a sliding scale for the transfer fee. The more guns that are delivered - at the same time - the lower the per gun fee is. One gun is $20, 2 guns at the same time is $35, etc.

IMO, a dealer should never be "hiding" his fees (unless he is trying to pull a fast one). I believe in being up front with my customers, that is what will keep them coming back.

Oh, and I just instituted a customer loyalty program (card and everything). Do 10 transfers through me the 11th is free. And I do have a fair number of people that this will benefit (right Andrew? ).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

my dealer charges me 20-25 bucks.
    I heard target master is 60.00

(transfer not pics/nics check)
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

And sadly - this is as hocus-bogus-dealer-fuckus as "lowest cigarette prices allowed by law".

There isnt any PA law regulating cig prices.

When Klinton and the Brady Bunch were ass-jamming us, one of the dealios was the Fed Instant Check, established in Sen Sponge-bob Byrd's state of WV. The effing program is funded by the Feds.

The PA ass-lickers in Harrisburg tacked on their own state-level crap as a clever way to - you effing guessed it - raise revenues.
    The fucking Harrisburg vultures are always looking at ways to gouge us to keep their royalty lifestyles going - un-receipted per diems, lifetime medical, retirement after 6years, and so on. And we keep sending the same bastards back each election.

Anyway, in 1995 they decided on a $2.00 "PICS fee" and a $3.00 gun surcharge - for the PICS state employees to make their free phone call to the feds.

I know, I bought enough guns out-of-state to know we in Pennsytucky are getting fucked the extra cash.

Some dealers can roll this fee into their price-tag, MOST ALL will NOT; why should they when they have you in front of them eager to take your new gun home?
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    And sadly - this is as hocus-bogus-dealer-fuckus as "lowest cigarette prices allowed by law".

There isnt any PA law regulating cig prices.
    Off topic, but:
    https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/...-cigarettes%3F
    What is the minimum price that can be charged for cigarettes?
    The minimum price is the manufacturer’s list price of a pack of cigarettes, as defined in the law, plus the cigarette tax and the mandatory mark up of 1.7% of the manufacturer’s list price for the cigarette stamping agent (effective January 7, 2004), plus 4% for the wholesalers and 6% for retailer.

The new minimum price will vary depending on the manufacturer’s base price of a pack of cigarettes. The presumptive cost of doing business percentages will be passed on to the cigarette consumer.

Effective January 7, 2004, a cigarette stamping agent must, in addition to the cigarette tax increase, add 1.7% as the presumptive cost of doing business.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Westmoreland County)

I know of A&S here in Youngwood and they charge $7 for the transfer and check if the gun is in their assortment. However, they will charge $27 for the transfer/check if you and your buddy would come in to make a transfer.

I think it is a fair price.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast