Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Savage Axis: Shoddy Magazine, User Error or Really Broken?

Hello all,

I picked up a brand new Savage Axis in .30-06 on sale Wednesday (Dunhams, $299). Took it out to the range this afternoon to sight in and prep for the elusive whitetail. I had a three failures to feed when cycling the bolt in approximately 30 rounds. In each case, the back of the magazine (i.e. edge closest to the trigger) appears to have fallen about 1/8" out of the forestock and at least one time it appears the bolt cycle itself pushed it loose but I'm not entirely sure. Additionally, when removed, the floorplate is loose on the long right side. It seems like it should be held in tighter because it's uneven - i.e. rocks one way but not the other. It's hard to see how that would be related the mag pushing loose though. Ammo was Hornady 150gr SST.

Anyone have an Axis and/or experienced this? I realize this is a "value" gun and isn't going to have the workmanship and polish of more expensive models. However Savage is known for quality "value" rifles and this seems like an actual defect to me rather than just poor fit and finish. I tried to call Savage but after a half hour on hold, I was disconnected because they closed.

Thanks in advance all!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Savage Axis: Shoddy Magazine, User Error or Really Broken?

Make sure the msg is inserted properly. Bronchus Mac up into the gun with the rear first and then latch it in. Like an AK how it rocks in. But in reverse. It is a cheaper made magazine. I would take care when using it as I could forsee the plastic tab breaking.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Berks County)

^What he said.

I have the axis in .223 and love it, the mag is alittle finicky. BTW Cabelas had the axis for $250. Bring an ad to Dunhams and have them price match it asap. They'll refund you the $50 if its within 14 days I believe.

(Butler County)

Yeah, I was rocking it in and it didn't seem to help. I'm going to call Savage tomorrow and see what they say. The gun got me an 8 point today so I can't complaint too much I guess.

(Butler County)

Thumbs up Re: Savage Axis: Shoddy Magazine, User Error or Really Broken?

Right before Christmas, I was finally off from work which gave me some time to call Savage about sending the rife in for warranty repair. It got picked up right after Christmas and returned yesterday. I was annoyed upon opening because it didn't look like Savage did anything to it! I've had no communication from them since they had it. The only thing that came back with the rifle was a packing slip that said:

REPAIR
    FUNCTION FIRE_PASSED
    HEADSPACE-GOOD
    CLEAN AND CHECK COMPLETE (BOLT ACTION)

with "part numbers" and a quantity of 1 in the list. Nothing else about if they did or didn't find a problem, fixed anything, etc. Savage is closed on the weekends so I can't call. But upon inspection, it does look like the polymer part that sits in the magazine that supports the metal lip that holds the magazine in place was changed out. The old one, as I recall (wish I'd taken pictures), was scratched from inserting and removing the magazine. The mag seems to sit more firmly as well. I'll have to get out the range soon to do some test fires and re-sight the scope, but I'm pleased that Savage didn't give me any hassle about the repair return. Just wish they told me what they did! But thumbs-up to Savage Arms.
    Last edited by Argentum; January 21st, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Butler County)

Angry Re: Savage Axis: Shoddy Magazine, User Error or Really Broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    The only thing that came back with the rifle was a packing slip that said:

REPAIR
    FUNCTION FIRE_PASSED
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    I'll have to get out the range soon to do some test fires and re-sight the scope, but I'm pleased that Savage didn't give me any hassle about the repair return. Just wish they told me what they did! But thumbs-up to Savage Arms.
    Unfortunately "soon" turned out not to be until today. My free "gun" time has been consumed with a Marlin I've been refurbishing and some pistol practice. Not sure what "REPAIR" meant above, but the thumb is now down to Savage. Two shots out of the Axis (the first since getting to returned back in January) and the mag popped loose out of the mag well and the third round jams while trying to feed. I'm going to have to press for a new magazine this time because I got the same one back. From doing some Google searches, I see a lot more posted about people having magazine problems so maybe this won't be a customer service fight.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

Hi all, I have an Axis Savage 3006 and the magazine had similar issues. I contacted Savage who sent me a replacement magazine at no cost. Upon receiving it, It would easily go and and filter through the rounds, but removing the magazine required a flathead screwdriver. Needless to say, I was pissed and contacted them again. Once again, they sent me a new magazine. The same thing happened! At this point, I felt it was a design flaw. I took some 100 grit sandpaper, gently sanded the sides of one of the magazines and presto, it worked like a charm. Now I have 3 magazines whose sides are gently sanded and all work.

Nothing like bringing back a 3 year old thread.

I've had my Axis for a few years and I haven't had any mag issues. I just picked up a second magazine and I haven't used it yet. I haven't seen any complaints over on Savage Shooters, so it's strange to see people say they are having issues with their Axis mags.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by northjerseymike View Post
    Hi all, I have an Axis Savage 3006 and the magazine had similar issues. I contacted Savage who sent me a replacement magazine at no cost. Upon receiving it, It would easily go and and filter through the rounds, but removing the magazine required a flathead screwdriver. Needless to say, I was pissed and contacted them again. Once again, they sent me a new magazine. The same thing happened! At this point, I felt it was a design flaw. I took some 100 grit sandpaper, gently sanded the sides of one of the magazines and presto, it worked like a charm. Now I have 3 magazines whose sides are gently sanded and all work.
    Welcome to PAFOA.
    My buddy has the Axis in .223, not sure if he has had issues, but I will remember this if he does.

i chopped mine up and now have a 10rd 300blk bolt action.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you