Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Need Advice on Shooting Glasses

Hope I posted this question in the correct forum. If not, moderators please move it.

Looking at shooting/safety glasses and see that they vary in price from $4.99 to $129.99

Need guidance on what to look for in materials, brands/models and price range for an excellent product. Not looking to take any chances with my eyesight.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Need Advice on Shooting Glasses

My personal prefrence is Oakley M Frames. I've been wearing them since I started Skiing when I was a kid. I've continued wearing them while mtn biking and shooting. Additionally I have a pair I wear when I'm at work to keep body fluid out of my eyes and as protective eye wear on MVA. They have never failed when needed, there is an array of lenses and they are interchangeable. If I remember correctly you can get a base pair with clear lenses for around 55$ (last time I bought a pair). I am currently up to 3 pair all with diffrent purposes and mostly diffrent lenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue River View Post
    Hope I posted this question in the correct forum. If not, moderators please move it.

Looking at shooting/safety glasses and see that they vary in price from $4.99 to $129.99

Need guidance on what to look for in materials, brands/models and price range for an excellent product. Not looking to take any chances with my eyesight.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Something most people overlook is, if you already wear glasses then you should be fine. Even cheap lenses are ussualy made from polycarb which is impact resistant.

(Montgomery County)

I wear Uvex XCs that I got from CountyComm. Only $22 with case, spare lens and cleaning cloth. Very comfortable. Supposedly current military issue. Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

http://www.countycomm.com/specs.htm

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonofpa View Post
    Something most people overlook is, if you already wear glasses then you should be fine. Even cheap lenses are ussualy made from polycarb which is impact resistant.
    And your optometrist will cut you some custom frameless lightweights in almost whatever tint you want......for just over $100.

Lycanwhatididthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    And your optometrist will cut you some custom frameless lightweights in almost whatever tint you want......for just over $100.

Lycanwhatididthrope
    Thats exactly what I did.
    Mine are lightweight and flexible.

(Centre County)

You don't have to get extremely expensive shooting glasses (unless you hang out with the Hollywood types shooting trap or skeet and have to look like a million bucks all the time). You can get good functional glasses in a variety of lens colors (or interchange lenses) from places like Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Cheaper than Dirt, Sportsmans Guide, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc. I have several pairs of Smith and Wesson that I got a Wal-Mart ( I think they were around $12.99) and they work fine for me. I happen to like the wrap around style so that if I glance to the side the color doesn't change and it also helps block any wind that may be blowing.

Just make sure that whatever you get says that the lenses are made of impact resistant material. This material may crack but it won't shatter.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

I usually use the MSA glasses I've had for a while, but they are hard to find. If it's not sunny I just use my usual glasses, and I'll be doing the lycan/michele think for my next pair. Something with a little more coverage.

This is my brother, father-in-law, and I all with MSA glasses.

(Allegheny County)

i've always had good luck with just going to walmart and buying whatever pair they have for around $10. (or home depot...where they are "safety glasses", not "shooting glasses", but the same thing.)

personally, i like clear ones for cloudy days and sunglasses (the "safety" impact resistant kind you can get at home depot) for bright days.

i've tried those yellow "high contrast" ones, but i don't like them personally.