Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Maryland House Bill 9 (bordering state reciprocity) discussed yesterday (video)

For those of us who visit/work in Maryland, House Bill 9 is pretty important.

It basically would allow people with LTCFs/CCW permits from DE, PA or VA to carry in MD. It did not make it out of the judiciary committee last year (missed by 1 or 2 votes) but this year's testimony looks fairly promising.

This took place yesterday at 1pm. Below is the link to the entire session. It was nice to see that there were 25+ supporters of the bill and only 4 opposed. The MSP got pwned and the crazy church lady at the end had no idea what she was talking about.

http://mgahouse.maryland.gov/House/S...ee2855221ae51d

link to MDshooters discussion thread
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=50217
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

(York County)

Default Re: Maryland House Bill 9 (bordering state reciprocity) discussed yesterday (video)

Got this would be nice. I live so close to MD I could throw a stone into it. I doubt it will make it all the way through but, here's to hoping! It should would be nice not having to worry about taking the long way around the MD border...

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

Default Re: Maryland House Bill 9 (bordering state reciprocity) discussed yesterday (video)

Yeah dude, I am originally from Jarrettsville (being in Fawn Grove I'm sure you know where that is) and bought my house in Red Lion a few years ago. I still work in Baltimore though (Woodlawn) and my family/friends are in MD so I'd really like to be able to carry!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

(York County)

Oh yea I know where that is. As 98 Rock would call it WOOOOOODLAWN! I work in White Marsh and my soon to be wife works in Baltimore (Fells Point), I refuse to move to MD because of their gun laws specifically.

It should be nice to have this, but I'm not holding my breath. PM me we'll have to get together and shoot.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

The committee chair will check and see what votes are there for and against. If there aren't enough(like last year), he lets it get voted down. If there are enough to pass it, or some Dems are afraid to vote against it, it'll get sat on and won't come to a vote. I really hate the committee system.

I also thought MD had some other mechanism to get around this by getting wide support through the legislature. Maybe one of the MDers can chyme in.

(Montgomery County)

I grew up in Maryland so I still work with Maryland Shall Issue. There is a method called a floor petition where if enough members sign it, it can bring the bill out of committee over the chairman's objections.

Delegates Mike Smiegel and Don Dwyer lead a floor petition last year on this bill. The floor petition never actually worked, but it got enough fire to get the bill up for a vote and it failed.

The sad truth is that with the current make up of the Maryland General Assembly, nothing will happen.

Maryland was one of the few (maybe the only) state that got MORE DEMOCRATIC and MORE ANTI-GUN in 2010. The Senate panel in Maryland now has 6 anti-gun people vs 5 pro-gun people.

Brian Frosh, who was deeply and personally offended by gun owners because of the actions of a group called Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership attacked him with what he felt was a anti-semitic flyer.

http://www.froshwatch.com/jfpa/jfpa.htm

If anything, it's going to be a hell raising fight to keep the laws from getting any stricter. Maryland is looking at a 10 round magazine ban, a law that would define a "firearm" as anything that shoots, a law that would make a mandatory 5 year prison term for anyone found with a loaded gun without a permit.

The only good thing Maryland has to look forward to is a possible win in the court system in the Wollard case.

And the best thing of all, some Marylanders actually ADMIRE how in PA the county sheriff issues the permits. Because none of the sheriff's in PA ever do anything but the letter of the law.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gprimr1 View Post
    I grew up in Maryland so I still work with Maryland Shall Issue. There is a method called a floor petition where if enough members sign it, it can bring the bill out of committee over the chairman's objections.

Delegates Mike Smiegel and Don Dwyer lead a floor petition last year on this bill. The floor petition never actually worked, but it got enough fire to get the bill up for a vote and it failed.

The sad truth is that with the current make up of the Maryland General Assembly, nothing will happen.

Maryland was one of the few (maybe the only) state that got MORE DEMOCRATIC and MORE ANTI-GUN in 2010. The Senate panel in Maryland now has 6 anti-gun people vs 5 pro-gun people.

Brian Frosh, who was deeply and personally offended by gun owners because of the actions of a group called Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership attacked him with what he felt was a anti-semitic flyer.

http://www.froshwatch.com/jfpa/jfpa.htm

If anything, it's going to be a hell raising fight to keep the laws from getting any stricter. Maryland is looking at a 10 round magazine ban, a law that would define a "firearm" as anything that shoots, a law that would make a mandatory 5 year prison term for anyone found with a loaded gun without a permit.

The only good thing Maryland has to look forward to is a possible win in the court system in the Wollard case.

And the best thing of all, some Marylanders actually ADMIRE how in PA the county sheriff issues the permits. Because none of the sheriff's in PA ever do anything but the letter of the law.

Wat?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lancaster County)

This would be nice when going to inner harbor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

I'd like to be able to visit MD some time... they need to get this passed.

I have my doubts, though, they don't trust their own citizens to carry, why would they trust us shift Pennsylvanians to carry?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Wat?
    I wish I could say I was joking but I'm not. Frederick and Washington County were considering pushing a bill through where the sheriff, not the state police, handled the permitting process. The bill would most likely have passed because it would have required ending state preemption of firearm laws (although point the supporters missed, or just went into denial over.)

They seriously believed that this would solve the problem. It's almost sad.

HB9, I don't think it will pass. I think it's just an offering for the people who elected the people sponsoring the bill, but then again, some people have proven to be more friendly to 2A than thought, but then again, you have the big dogs from the gun haters club to get past.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast