Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: transporting a firearm in pa

Quote Originally Posted by murph1068 View Post
    Well I just applied for the LTC but had to get paperwork and backround check at the local PD first, then to the county sheriff once local PD is done. As I read here I still get confused with transport of my firearm without the LTC. I have a vacation home in pocono mountains in pa, and live two hours away in pa at my regular home. I carry the firearm in the cab of my truck in a lock box unloaded and the magazines in my luggage bag in the back of the truck. Is this method correct transport until my LTC is in my possesion? I do travel on interstates. Thanks

Since your vacation home is in PA and you live in PA you don’t get the federal protection of interstate transport of unloaded firearms

If you can drive straight to your Vacation home without stopping for ANYTHING , including gas, a snack, even to go to the bath room you would not be violating the law as you describe. IF you stop and are caught you could be in trouble, if combined with any other offense.

The PA firearm laws are very confusing and complex, once you have a LTCF permit this will not be a problem for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    The stops you may make with it in the car would ultimately, if it went far enough, come down to a judge's decision. It says in the code that if one is transporting the firearm to one's dwelling or fixed place of business OR if you're coming to or from the target range, or having something fixed, or purchasing/selling, that you need to provide sufficient evidence that you were doing so. Probably a receipt from a range would be good enough. However, what if you were going TO the range? I guess it all comes down to what is known and what isn't. Best advice is to wait to transport as long as you can until your LTCF arrives in the mail, that covers you.
    Storm88000 correctly points out the problem in existing PA law IF you STOP anywhere transporting unloaded firearms without a LTCF permit you break the law.

IF you don't like the existing law we can use your help to change it.

Currently we are trying to remove this existing stupid exemption clause limiting where you can transport unloaded firearms to and from.

Read details here of the problem and the proposed legislative solution in HB 1668

2011-12 Getting rid of NO STOPS clause with the transportation of gun w/o LTCF

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...-w-o-ltcf.html
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Philadelphia County)

The way I see it and I may be wrong is this transport it in the manner stated above . How many times have you been pulled over and had your car torn apart and searched for not using a turn signal or other traffic infaction . Don't consent to a search of your vehicle and if a leo asks if you have anything illegal in you car say no because you don't (assuming you have nothin illegal) . You will be fine.
    Last edited by magras; November 15th, 2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo

(Montgomery County)

Well, I got my ltcf yesterday. Anything I need to know while traveling in my truck in the event I get pulled over? I assume it's automatic now the trooper knows upon a stop that there is possibility of firearms. What is the proper way to handle a traffic stop while in possession of my firearm? Curious to hear opinions or actual events that happened.

(Delaware County)

No duty to inform in PA

I wouldn't

Search on how to handle a stop. Discussed at length

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Since your vacation home is in PA and y

Storm88000 correctly points out the problem in existing PA law IF you STOP anywhere transporting unloaded firearms without a LTCF permit you break the law.

IF you don't like the existing law we can use your help to change it.

Currently we are trying to remove this existing stupid exemption clause limiting where you can transport unloaded firearms to and from.
    The problem is, well, I think we can assume most PA residents who get their first hand gun don't have an LTCF at the time of purchase. And I'll tell you what.. when I got my first, I was unbelievably paranoid about taking it home in my car. I took out all necessary paper work I may have needed to avoid having to go thru it in case of being stopped.. although I make quite a strong effort to obey all traffic laws, we all know sometimes things don't go your way. I totally agree with you that the clause needs to be modified.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12