Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Member Ranking for Members who have passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by pirateron View Post
    How exactly does one become "deserving" of such status? Do they need a certain post count, a certain rep level, a certain relationship...?
    I think the fact they're no longer with us earns them the title. We all know how important internet rep is (sarcasm) and things get complicated when you try to decide who is "deserving" of a status. You can ask 10 people what a person is like and get 10 different answers.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    I think the fact they're no longer with us earns them the title.
    Not necessarily. The Pittsburgh cop killer posted here. If he is ultimately found guilty and executed, I don't think any change in status would be warranted simply because he is no longer drawing breath.

I think the standard should be fairly low - simply being a thoughtful contributing member (ie - a positive factor) would be enough. No need to have had a high-profile "incident" or be considered some 'extremist/activist', etc.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; May 16th, 2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Not necessarily. The Pittsburgh cop killer poster here. If he is ultimately found guilty and executed, I don't think any change in status would be warranted simply because he is no longer drawing breath.

I think the standard should be fairly low - simply being a thoughtful contributing member (ie - a positive factor) would be enough. No need to have had a high-profile "incident" or be considered some 'extremist/activist', etc.
    Excellent points

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Excellent points
    That's why Greg gets the big bucks

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Allegheny County)

Not necessarily. The Pittsburgh cop killer posted here. If he is ultimately found guilty and executed, I don't think any change in status would be warranted simply because he is no longer drawing breath.

I concur.

But again, by whos standard is "a thoughtful contributing" forum user? Someone who brings gun knowledge to the table has more input than someone who posts pictures of their dog, but some users will butt heads with one and coddle the other.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by pirateron View Post
    I concur.

But again, by whos standard is "a thoughtful contributing" forum user? Someone who brings gun knowledge to the table has more input than someone who posts pictures of their dog, but some users will butt heads with one and coddle the other.
    I think general consensus would be fine. I doubt that anyone would object for either SFN or 1861. Likewise, I doubt that anyone here would push for inclusion for executed cop killers. ETA: Why make it more difficult than it needs to be.

In memoriam gets my vote.

Great idea!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Monroe County)

How about more than 50 posts, and you have not become infamous here or in the real world.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Berks County)

Completely agree here. We don't want EVERY user no longer with us on this earth to be given such a title, for reasons stated by Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I think general consensus would be fine.
    Again, agreed. If a user has positively influences or touched enough people's lives here (like SFN or 1861) such that those people ask for these users to be given an honorary title, and general consensus agrees, that's good enough for me.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

I wouldn't think the bar would be too high either, but you always have to think it through.

The problem with "rules" is that people can hold you to them, and PAFOA would never want to be forced to honor some idiot the same way it honors a dear friend.

That's why a lot of times these decisions have a lot more to them than simply running with it. It's a pain, but it's the reality of being a public organization with lots of interest and attention.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Completely agree here. We don't want EVERY user no longer with us on this earth to be given such a title, for reasons stated by Greg.

Again, agreed. If a user has positively influences or touched enough people's lives here (like SFN or 1861) such that those people ask for these users to be given an honorary title, and general consensus agrees, that's good enough for me.
    I was going to suggest putting it to a vote. It looks like you may have already covered it.

The thing I might add is that some people may pass away and we would never know about it. we would think they just stopped posting.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast