Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Question do you get less aware as you continue to carry?

i've only gotten to carry OC or CC VERY few times due to my age and lack of knowledge when i was 18 on the PA firearms laws.

every time i carried, i was alway's VERY aware that i had the weapon on my person and was very concious about it... (in multiple ways)

my question is, for the people who carry normally, do you even really notice "yourself" that you're carrying, or do you kinda "not even think about it" after a while of carrying normally?

thanks in advance, it's just kinda something that popped into my head after all the reading that i've been doing on here.... thanks again.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: do you get less aware as you continue to carry?

I notice when I'm not.

It's like tying your shoes, or putting on pants. It just becomes so normal that if you don't do it, you just feel "off".
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Northampton County)

I find that when i carry, which is much prety much all the time except for when working(NEW JERSEY). I am always very cautious of my suroundings. I always look at the people around me . And i usualy make eye contact with people who are looking at me, Carryin a firearm made me more cautious of my surroundings.
    Mathews Z7

(Venango County)

I am aware of the fact that I have taken on the responsibility of carrying a tool that can end life.

I am aware of my surroundings, but I am not self conscious about it in a nervous way

Did that make sense?

(Chester County)

I carry every day, and have done so for many years now. (sometimes CC, sometimes OC) It's not that you get less aware, you just get more comfortable. It becomes second nature. You get to the point that you feel naked without it.

(Monroe County)

Honestly it happens sometimes, but as Skullz said above, I notice it. Sometimes I'll kick myself for not, "looking around that corner", or "not scanning the parking lot as I walk to my car". I correct myself.

Sometimes people get comfortable doing the things they do, you just need to remind yourself to stay aware. Fortunately, after practicing situational awareness, and yes, I argue it is something that can be practiced, certain actions become habits, and that is to your benefit. Every once in a while, just try to go through your SA actions consciously.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

If you mean does the feeling that you are going to get caught for doing something that just seems criminal, ever go away, yes it does.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Delaware County)

As someone who's only been carrying for a bit over a month, I can tell you that it is very easy to let your situational awareness slip. The second I recognize that I'm not focusing on my surroundings well enough or am developing tunnel vision, I snap myself out of it and start paying better attention. I'm working very hard to better myself in this area because of how critically important it is, and you need to do the same. It's a constant vigilance that is somewhat difficult for some people to keep up, but with time, it gets better, not worse. Many here will tell you that the longer you keep your "radar" on, the easier it is to do so.
    Junior

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmarshall View Post
    I am aware of the fact that I have taken on the responsibility of carrying a tool that can end life.

I am aware of my surroundings, but I am not self conscious about it in a nervous way

Did that make sense?
    that's pretty much exactly what i meant by my original post! good call!
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Lycoming County)

i have been carrying every day (i can) sense the day after i turned 21 ( my 21st landed on a sunday) and i can say that ever sense that day the nervousness of carrying has tapered off to almost nothing now. i am still very aware of it being there especially when it jabs me in the side or something. but like others have said it is just like wearing a watch or something like that. you only really notice or feel naked of a sort when you don't have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast