Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Would you Open Carry to Church?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would

27 29.67%
  • No, I would not

9 9.89%
  • I would only Concealed Carry in Church

51 56.04%
  • I would never take a Firearm to Church Period.

4 4.40%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: an open carry scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    So even though you could very easily CC and you would still be armed and have a tactical advantage the feelings of others (as misguided as they may be) are something you don`t even consider?
    I guess I`ve lived a pretty full life and am a the point where I don`t need to prove anything. As much as I firmly believe in the right to OC and have been doing it since before many here ever became Daddy`s little squirt I also think people are important. I think a church is very different from a restaurant. Even in most wars holy places are respected and off limit to all but barbarians.
    The one thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is that OC in church didn`t even get 36% and many of those don`t attend church anyway.
    Did I miss the part of my own post where I said I needed to prove something? Or was that you projecting for me? As for considering the feelings of others, no, I don't. Not when it involves changing my lifestyle to soothe them, no. Would I point out a huge mole on a womans' face? No, I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings. But there is a big and distinct difference in being considerate of another's feeling, and changing your habits to accommodate theirs. Your feelings lose to my rights, just like my feelings lose to yours. I think you shouldn't be allowed to post your racist innuendos, but you have the right to do so. Many of your posts offend me, but you have stated that you could not care less what people think about your opinions and posts, that you are not "Politically correct", and say what's on your mind. Why is my possibly offending someone, worse than your possibly offending someone?

The church is off limits to all but the barbarians? Do you even read what you write? The barbarians are the one's I carry for, silly.

And, BTW, yes I could easily conceal, I choose not to, but what is your point? I could easily grab someone walking by me on the street and bash their head in, but I choose not to. I could easily kill people randomly, but I choose not to. I could easily poison people's pets, but I choose not to. You see where I'm going with this?
    Last edited by headcase; June 23rd, 2008 at 09:59 AM.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

Yep I said during war only barbarians were bombing and desecrating holy places.

"As for considering the feelings of others, no, I don't. Not when it involves changing my lifestyle to soothe them, no."
    Serious question, not a flame. Did you or your family move her from NY or the Nj metropolitan area? Curious because of cutural and attitudal differences?

Serious question, not a flame. Did you or your family move her from NY or the Nj metropolitan area? Curious because of cutural and attitudal differences?
    Serious question. No flame, I promise.
    What would make you think something like that? Can you explain a little deeper? I'm a NYC transplant, lived most of my life in NYC. (45+years)
    I have found especially on this forum that Pennsylvanians have many many cultural and attitude differences.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Serious question. No flame, I promise.
    What would make you think something like that? Can you explain a little deeper? I'm a NYC transplant, lived most of my life in NYC. (45+years)
    I have found especially on this forum that Pennsylvanians have many many cultural and attitude differences.
    In the Pocono`s there was a huge influx. Unlike the transplants from years ago the large portion decided they would come and we should adjust. Understand this isn`t everyone and some of my best friends are transplants. Many came here and then proceded to tell us we are better for their arrival. My friends came because they liked what was here and kinda blended in without attitude instead of bringing here the same thing they were trying to leave.
    The Pocono`s has turned to a crime infested cesspool I`m sad to say. It coincided with the biggest influx, coincidence? If I`m heading up 715 and their`s a car on my ass it`s probably not a local. If somebody rips through Wawa at breakneck speed to no wait for the light it`s likely not a local. Locals are not perfect but I bet the %`s tell the story.

(Luzerne County)

So even though you could very easily CC and you would still be armed and have a tactical advantage the feelings of others (as misguided as they may be) are something you don`t even consider?
    I guess I`ve lived a pretty full life and am a the point where I don`t need to prove anything. As much as I firmly believe in the right to OC and have been doing it since before many here ever became Daddy`s little squirt I also think people are important. I think a church is very different from a restaurant. Even in most wars holy places are respected and off limit to all but barbarians.
    The one thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is that OC in church didn`t even get 36% and many of those don`t attend church anyway.
    Here is what I got out of your reply:
    1) OC = something to prove.
    2) CC = automatic "tactical advantage" in every situation
    3) OC = no respect for others.
    4) your old

Responses:

1) If someone OC to church, or anywhere else, it may be for a number of reasons not having anything to do with "something to prove". This is simply a subtle character attack.

2) The tactical advantage of CC is only in your opinion. Others disagree. It's not a given as you present it.

3) respecting the feelings of others comment is simply perspective. Let's look from the opposite perspective... Why can't folks respect my right to self defense?

Do I "care" about others feelings? Sometimes YES, sometimes NO.

Some folks think I should not be driving a SUV... SO?
    Should I not drive my SUV now because of someone else's "feelings" about it?

I think the key here is that folks will consider the "feelings" of others when they "feel like it". To go around worrying about others feelings is something you have to draw a personal line at. Just because you are concerned about other peoples feelings about carrying for self defense does not mean any one else is wrong for not being too concerned about it.

4) I'm gettin there too.

In general, I really find it interesting that many people can not articulate why they do not, or would not OC, here, there or everywhere, without insinuating that OC'ers are doing something "wrong".
    OC is not about pissing people off. Some people WILL be pissed about OC. Same as others will be pissed about CC Yeah, so be it. Seems a lot of folks have decided the time to bring OC back out of the closet is now, I agree.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

In the Pocono`s there was a huge influx. Unlike the transplants from years ago the large portion decided they would come and we should adjust. Understand this isn`t everyone and some of my best friends are transplants. Many came here and then proceded to tell us we are better for their arrival. My friends came because they liked what was here and kinda blended in without attitude instead of bringing here the same thing they were trying to leave.
    The Pocono`s has turned to a crime infested cesspool I`m sad to say. It coincided with the biggest influx, coincidence? If I`m heading up 715 and their`s a car on my ass it`s probably not a local. If somebody rips through Wawa at breakneck speed to no wait for the light it`s likely not a local. Locals are not perfect but I bet the %`s tell the story.
    Ah, gotcha'.

I O/C and C/C.
    I have nothing to prove to anyone except myself. I've decided at this point in my life to watch my own ass. Its is not about penis envy or titty envy, race or age. I've decided that its time for me to take responsibility for MY OWN actions and safety. Thats why I carry.....plain and simple.

I admit, I did scare a couple of people while O/Cing. They will get over it. Although, I did possibly save my own ass while O/Cing. I did encounter a few "dudes" one night, when they noticed I was O/Cing, they parted the waters for me. That might have very well saved me from having to draw if I was C/Cing.

How I carry for the day is specific to where I am going and who I am with. Being I am a middle aged woman, and usually travel alone, the way I carry is specific to MY needs.

At this point in my life, (i'll be 47) i'm tired. I'm tired of trying to please all of the people all of the time. Been there, done that. Now its ME time. Sounds selfish? Yea, it probably does. Its time for me to jump and stay on that me and mine bandwagon. Doing that got me Pennsylvania, allowed to to purchase my first house and live a decent quiet lifestyle.

Does it sound like a fuck you attitude? Well it is. I've heard fuck you all my life. Now its my turn, for me and mine. Had I not taken that attitude, I would still be wading through the muck and mire of NYC.

I'm legal, that is all I really care about. When I break the law, I expect to be tapped on the shoulder. Until then, I just want to be left alone to exercise my freedoms and rights. I feel i'm not infringing on anyones rights, please don't infringe on mine. I'm an old woman, I just can't deal with that chest thumping anymore.

If you can't respect other people enough to CC in a church you have issues. You know atleast some people won't like it and will be afraid, yet you still walk into THEIR house of worship to make a statement or whatever BS reason you come up with? Come on now it is called being human, we aren't animals and respecting other people/buildings in certain situations not only won't kill you, it is the right thing to do. Get off the OC highhorse, since when is it a lifestyle you can't avoid for 2hrs and pretend to be a decent human being? Also how about showing a little respect for god/what others believe in by wearing a suit? Sport coats hide guns quite well.

XDitsnotexerscisingmyrightstillanoldladycries45

(Chester County)

No. Because I'm not an attention whore.

I'd sooner soul kiss my wife in the communion line than open carry in a church.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Monroe County)

Yep I said during war only barbarians were bombing and desecrating holy places.

I actually moved here from Missouri....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    No. Because I'm not an attention whore.

I'd sooner soul kiss my wife in the communion line than open carry in a church.
    I don't believe OC'ers are the attention whores, it's the one's hemming and hawing about OC that are the attention whores.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast