Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Wrote a letter to Inquirer reporter regarding trail incident in Montgomery County

After reading the story about the Schuylkill Trail incident I had to try and set the record straight.

Liz,
    After reading your story regarding the aforementioned incident I would like to take the opportunity to correct one inaccuracy. Sheriff Durante is mentioned as moving to revoke DePaul's permit to carry a concealed firearm because, he said, carrying a firearm on any county trail or in its parks is illegal. Sheriff Durante's statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Pennsylvania is one of many states with a preemption statute regarding firearms and ammunition. What this means is that no county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammuni*tion components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this commonwealth. This statute is contained within the Uniform Firearms Act. I have attached a copy of Title 18, §6120. The preemption statute I quoted is very important for Pennsylvanians that legally carry a firearm, in that it removes the problem of a traveling citizen running afoul of a myriad of local laws prohibiting where you can and cannot carry a firearm. In other words, licensed or otherwise legal carriers of firearms in Pennsylvania can carry everywhere not prohibited by state or federal law. Citizens as well as law enforcement officers are often unaware of the preemption statute.

There are many counties, boroughs, townships, and cities throughout the commonwealth that have active ordinances prohibiting the possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammuni*tion components. These ordinances are unenforceable. Many gun owners, myself included, often contact these municipalities requesting these ordinances be removed and signs within parks be corrected. Every municipality that I am aware of, has rescinded these illegal ordinances and made the sign corrections that were necessary for compliance within the law once these violations were brought to their attention.

I would hope that you would welcome the opportunity to correct the misinformation contained within your article upon review of the facts I have presented. I will also be corresponding with Sheriff Durante regarding his comments. His office has a history of misinforming gun owners regarding firearm laws in the commonwealth. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Thank You,

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Wrote a letter to Inquirer reporter regarding trail incident in Montgomery County

Nicely written. Hopefully a corrective statement is issued by the reported.
    It's also much better to be an evicted survivor than an obedient corpse. -GunLawyer001

(York County)

Default Re: Wrote a letter to Inquirer reporter regarding trail incident in Montgomery County

Already asked and answered...

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...rs-page-2.html

See post number 22.

Thanks for being pro-active on this, though!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Berks County)

GL23,

Did you see the actual press release from Sheriff Durante? It's posted here:

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...a=1683&q=71877

He states that anyone, with or without a "carry permit" will have their LTCF revoked an "be turned over to the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office for prosecution", which I assume would mean they'd be arrested and charged with some crime?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    GL23,

Did you see the actual press release from Sheriff Durante? It's posted here:

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...a=1683&q=71877

He states that anyone, with or without a "carry permit" will have their LTCF revoked an "be turned over to the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office for prosecution", which I assume would mean they'd be arrested and charged with some crime?

Yeah, Sheriff Durante calls it, "Breaking the whim".

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Yeah, Sheriff Durante calls it, "Breaking the whim".
    Where was that at?

(York County)

Where was that at?

Sarcasm detection failure.

You can't be prosecuted for breaking the law, if you are not in violation of any laws. Instead, you will be prosecuted for going against his:

Whim
    Opinion
    Desire
    Agenda
    Etc.

You'll get to know me eventually. I'm an incorrigible smartass.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Sarcasm detection failure.

You can't be prosecuted for breaking the law, if you are not in violation of any laws. Instead, you will be prosecuted for going against his:

Whim
    Opinion
    Desire
    Agenda
    Etc.

You'll get to know me eventually. I'm an incorrigible smartass.
    LOL, I thought I missed a quote or something...

(York County)

LOL, I thought I missed a quote or something...

Heh... ordinarily I'd have used a smiley more indicative of sarcasm, but this morning, Mr scratching-his-head smiley just kinda jumped out at me and gave me a smile.

(Northampton County)

Smile Re: Wrote a letter to Inquirer reporter regarding trail incident in Montgomery County

Ok so when is the planned event I'm sure some are putting together, a picnic is in order here. Count me in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast