Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: sigma 40

(Adams County)

Default sigma 40

I know the trigger is hard but after i shot about 5 mags i love it.
    350 bucks brand new this is my carry gun what do you guys think.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: sigma 40

Quote Originally Posted by sigma40cal View Post
    I know the trigger is hard but after i shot about 5 mags i love it.
    350 bucks brand new this is my carry gun what do you guys think.
    I got a couple 9's and a 40, and the 40 has a very decent trigger, not light but decent. I think I'm going to use it for IDPA this summer.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

The Sigma trigger is heavier than its Glock equivalent. But not as hard as most double action revolvers or other double action only pistols. Its a nice feature for a carry firearm. I would like to try IDPA with it this summer. But if I got more into it I would want something single action. I do shoot tighter groups with something single action like a 1911 or PPK.

Good reliable gun.

However, since you just bought it...... put a few hundred rounds through it before it becomes your carry gun.

(Lehigh County)

I did the trigger spring reduction mod on mine, smoother and a little lighter trigger pull. i found it was a little to big to carry, not much smaller than my G21, so i am trying to sell mine. Overall, it's a nice piece.

Just for giggles, contact LSG Manufacturing. You'll find the number in your owners manual under warranty centers. Advise them that the trigger is gritty and your wife needs the trigger a little smoother and lighter. Yeah your wife! S&W will pay Fed-Ex both ways and in about a week you'll have a full polish and possibly even a little more trigger work for free and you won't be disappointed.

I too removed the pigtail spring after LSG got done with my .40 and changed out the outer trigger spring to a HD spring that was just a hair lighter than the stock spring. Very close to my buddies Glock Trigger in form and function now. He is LEO and was very impressed. About 500 rounds through it after the work with no issues.

Good luck!

(Clarion County)

If you love it ,thats all that matters. couple hundred rounds down range for reliability and carry on. Bad Guy dont care if its a $350 S&W or a $3000 Desert Eagle dead is dead, if you can hit were you need too with it.

(Monroe County)

I bought my 2nd gen Sigma .40 in about 1997, never a problem in thousands of rounds fired , reliable and acccurate, if the trigger bothers you you can get a wolf spring kit for it -about $10 when i bought mine, .

It is Smith and Wesso's best selling Pistol, that says a lot , but what really says a lot is that Smith makes one of thier
    Wilderness survival kits out of it, thats how much confidence they have in it, also the Sigma is still listed with the FBI as one of the approved Pistols for FBI agents, if its good for the FBI i would think its good for me too.

Enjoy, its a nice gun , priced right and 100% American made.

Nyman

Thumbs up Re: sigma 40

Both me and my wife carry 9VE's. Totally reliable, accurate as we are, eat whatever ammo we feed them. Mine is two years old and had S&W trigger work. Wife's is about 9 months old and her trigger was pretty good out the box. I polished the internals on both and bent one tang on the torsion (pigtail) spring so it does nothing. Probably should bend both a little. Both triggers are exellent now for a carry weapons with no manuel safety. Estimate (based on fireing the original, Glock and M&P triggers) pull 7-8 lbs and still long but butter smooth. Not much chance of a "Plaxico discharge. I'm going to look at the SD40 when they come out. At $400. retail including tritium front site and improved trigger should be a good deal. I don't think S&W ever made a bad weapon and the warranty is great. For $350. it's no wonder the Sigma is such a success.
    US Army 1965-1971