Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default MD safety training

The post about MD carry license got me looking around...and i found this:

Gun Safety Training. It's online, its free, and it's sponsored by Maryland State Police.

Since it is put out by a state leo agency...it should be usable for some of those other states' licenses...that require training...IE Florida....no?

Default Re: MD safety training

Good find...did you try it yet?

Hope they don't have a pop up on the screen target to shoot at

Damn...tried to rep ya, but could not.

(Bucks County)

Wow...50 views and only 1 response?

I havent done it yet as I haven't had the 30 minutes yet. I will do it at work tonight tho...it's always slow there at night.

I took the course last night. Pretty straight forward and nothing on it that we all should already be very familiar with. The same as any safety courses that I have taken here in Las Vegas. After you complete the course (no test questions) You print out a safety completion certificate. Keep two bottom copies and mail in the top copy to the Md Police to show you have completed the on line course. Usual info - name, address, age. and driver's license number. Nothing to it. For the two bottom copies - one goes in the wallet to be shown to a Md FFL dealer should you purchase a gun in Md and the other one is a spare.

Thumbs up Re: MD safety training

Gee, you mean after completing the course I cannot conceal carry a loaded Tommy Gun with extra drum mags around with me in MD...under my oversized trench coat of course?

Seriously...sounds like a cool course. I'll give it a try...maybe over the weekend.
    Will be interesting to see if FL and/or VA would accept this as proof of training.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Gee, you mean after completing the course I cannot conceal carry a loaded Tommy Gun with extra drum mags around with me in MD...under my oversized trench coat of course?

Seriously...sounds like a cool course. I'll give it a try...maybe over the weekend.
    Will be interesting to see if FL and/or VA would accept this as proof of training.
    From FL:

ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION
    1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original cer-
    tificate because it cannot be returned.
    2. A copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms compe-
    tition;
    3. An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attest-
    ing to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit
    but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
    • Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
    Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    • Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    • Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law en-
    forcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utiliz-
    ing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission,
    or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

• Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investi-
    gators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    • Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition
    or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card;
    discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
    • Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such
    license has been revoked for cause;
    • Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle
    Association-certified firearms instructor.

From VA...pretty much exactly the same:

The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

1. Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
    2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
    3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.
    4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
    5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
    6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
    7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
    8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
    9. Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any such course or class, an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant, or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall satisfy the requirement for demonstration of competence with a handgun.

Completion of this Firearms Safety Training course will satisfy one of the requirements for firearms ownership under Maryland law.

you have to take a course to buy a gun in MD?

Looks that way, unless I misread the law

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    Completion of this Firearms Safety Training course will satisfy one of the requirements for firearms ownership under Maryland law.

you have to take a course to buy a gun in MD?
    and apparently thats just ONE of the requirements...

(Bucks County)

Just took it. It really the same as NRA Basic Pistol...so was a good review. Broken down into sections and it does pause between sections.

The certificate at the end:

The cards you keep at the bottom do say it was an online course...but they also say it was the Maryland Police Training Commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast