Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Looking to get into reloading - look over my shopping list?

Well, the subject pretty much says it all. Ammo prices are on the rise and I want to take on a new hobby I spent a few hours reading and I populated a Midway shopping cart with everything I think I'll need to reload .223. I didn't include any ammo components yet since I won't even know what I need until the reloading book comes with the press. Here's the list:

Frankford Arsenal Dial Caliper 6" Stainless Steel
    Product #: 119623
    $19.99

EJS Kwick Case Trimmer 17 Remington, 221 Remington Fireball, 222 Remington, 222 Remington Magnum, 223 Remington
    Product #: 127743 Out of Stock, Backorder OK
    $18.89

Frankford Arsenal Brass Case Polish 8 oz Liquid
    Product #: 198878
    $6.59

Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaning Media Treated Walnut Hull 7 lb Bag
    Product #: 331177
    $10.99

Lee Chamfer Tool
    Product #: 389104
    $1.99

Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator 110 Volt
    Product #: 414369
    link
    $49.99

CB-05 Cardboard Ammo Box with Styrofoam Tray 50-Round 221, 223, 30 Carbine White Box of 25
    Product #: 597634
    $14.99

RCBS Pow'r Pull Impact Bullet Puller
    Product #: 630146
    $15.79

Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity
    Product #: 713372
    $24.99

Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaning Media Corn Cob 7 lb Bag
    Product #: 730107
    $10.99

Lee Deluxe Rifle 3-Die Set 223 Remington
    Product #: 776391
    $24.99

Lee Challenger Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit with "Modern Reloading" Manual
    Product #: 820810 Closeout special
    link
    $79.99 ]

Frankford Arsenal 50-Round Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #2 Blue (382 Hole Diameter)
    Product #: 888804
    $6.89

Final Tally: $287.07 + $25 shipping

Let me know what you guys think. I'm attempting to stay economical but I don't want to miss anything. I did add a digital scale even though a mechanical one is included with the set.

Thanks!
    I own guns!

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Looking to get into reloading - look over my shopping list?

Congratulations, you're starting on a very satisfying hobby.
    At a glance it looks like you have it pretty well covered. You can drop the Lee chamfer tool from your list, there's one included in the Lee Anniversary Kit, but to be honest, the RCBS chamfer tool is much better than the Lee chamfer tool. They both work well, but I really prefer the RCBS. The electronic powder scale isn't mandatory but may be handy to have. The Lee Anniversary kit includes a scale that is very sensitive and accurate, but its maximum capacity is only 110 grains. If you want to spread the purchase out to make the initial cost less painful you could wait on the tumbler, polish and media. I have a tumbler but don't use it very often. I don't feel the need for bright shiny brass, but it has to be free of dirt and debris that could damage your dies and/or chamber. I clean mine by hand, I feel that it's quicker and less bother with brass that I've shot and handled myself, but if I have a lot of range pick-up brass the tumbler is nice. It's a matter of personal preference. For the best and least expensive sizing lube you can get, get a tin of Redwing Mink Oil. Yes, that's right, from a shoe store, silicone and lanolin leather treatment. It lubricates and cleans the brass, it's easy on your fingers, one tin will probably last a lifetime and it works better than any other case sizing lubricant I've ever tried.
    I'll look at this post again tomorrow to see if there's anything else I want to say about it.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjd932 View Post
    Well, the subject pretty much says it all. Ammo prices are on the rise and I want to take on a new hobby I spent a few hours reading and I populated a Midway shopping cart with everything I think I'll need to reload .223. I didn't include any ammo components yet since I won't even know what I need until the reloading book comes with the press. Here's the list:

Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity
    Product #: 713372
    $24.99

Let me know what you guys think. I'm attempting to stay economical but I don't want to miss anything. I did add a digital scale even though a mechanical one is included with the set.

Thanks!

Looks good to me! I just wanted to throw a little FYI in about scale. I have this one and it is great. Very accurate for price. My only complaint is that if you don't use it for a minute or so it shuts off. If your checking the charge on everty _nth one it is off by the time you come back to use it. For the price I would still recommend it though. Good Luck!
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Beaver County)

I don't know what's in the aniversary set but heres a few other items:

primer pocket cleaning tool

flash hole deburring tool-only if your going to try to get every little bit of accuracy -could drive you crazy

media separater- after cleaning your brass you dump alll into a sifter looking device and roll it over a bucket-it quickly separates media from brass

I have mostly RCBS stuff and haven't used an electronic scale. Looks like you got a good start.

(Dauphin County)

Get the Plastic Ammo Box Product #: 752400 - It'll last longer...
    You will need some Reloader's Lable Product #: 98107
    And later-on a Shooting Chrony Chronograph Product #: 379302

(Allegheny County)

I just started reloading not long ago.
    I also started with the Lee Annav. Kit.

The camfer tool is included in the kit. I am pretty sure.

Get a case length gauge for the .223.
    (the cutter and lock stud are included in the kit)

I through the lock stud in my cordless drill and use steel wool to polish my brass while watching tv.

Could eliminate the need for the brass polish.

primer pocket cleaner is also included in kit. I am pretty sure of this too.

I don't bother tumbling brass yet. I usually try to only pick up fairly clean brass right now.

Be sure to get another book or two. I like the Lee book, but sometimes their loads are limited and/or difficult to understand. You can pick up the free books from the powder manufactureres at your local store and once you decide on a brand of bullet you most likely will use (Nosler, Hornady, etc) get their book.

The most usefull books I have found for load information are the One Book/ One Caliber books. They contain all the information found in each of the different books for the caliber you are reloading in one easily comparable location.

Read, read, read, all you can get your hands on.
    Good Luck
    joe

(Berks County)

I would not get both the walnut and the corn cob media just pick one. Get the RCBS 505 scale instead of the eletric one. Also get a digital caliper much easier to read
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Delaware County)

You're off to a good start. Here's some other ideas:

Get a few other reloading manuals. Hornady's has a good general section on reloading practice, as well as load data. The Sierra loading manual has a really superb section on reloading practice in general, including the fine points of reloading for autoloading guns. Other good books are Lee's The ABC's of Reloading, the Lyman Reloading Handbook, and The Handloader's Digest.

Get an L.E. Wilson Cartridge Headspace Gage for each caliber you shoot. They're a good way of quickly checking cartridges for min/max headspace and overall length.

Get a primer pocket cleaning tool and a "pocket uniformer"; this is a steel cutting tool that makes sure primer pockets are flat-bottomed and are of the right depth.

If you want to reclaim fired military ammo (like XM193, M855, etc.), get some kind of tool to remove the primer crimp. There are handheld reamers that'll do the job with a lot of elbow grease, or you can get a pocket swaging die that'll mount in your reloading press. I use the RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging Combo.

Get a powder trickler. I like Redding's Model No. 5, it has a heavy base so it doesn't tip over.

Impact bullet pullers (IMO) are noisy, unnerving (something about banging on loaded ammo just sets my teeth on edge), messy, VERY tiring to use when unloading a large batch of ammo, and in my experience don't last very long. Get a collet-type puller die for your press.

The seater die for my RCBS Rockchucker works OK, but an even better one is their Gold Medal Seater Die. It holds the bullet and case mouth in alignment while seating; it has a micrometer depth adjustment; and it's way easier to use than the standard seating die.

Get an aluminum powder funnel, like the Satern (Midway #480995). Being metal, powder granules won't stick to it because it won't collect static electricity. Plastic funnels are a PITA.

Beware those CB-05 Cardboard Ammo Boxes: mine weren't cut properly, and some work with scissors is needed before the boxes will go together without cursing.

Pick yourself up a half-dozen or so RCBS Case Neck Brushes (Midway #643384); good for cleaning case necks and getting the maximum life out of the expansion plug in your resizing die, also usable as light-duty bore brushes.

Pick up a Lee Classic Loader kit for .223 Rem (Midway #420765). For $15.99 you just can't go wrong: everything you need to reload out at the range, except for a mallet. Hey, you never know...

(Allegheny County)

+1 on the powder trickler

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    +1 on the powder trickler
    yes a must have for accuracy

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast