Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default New Jersey carry permit

OK, Ok, I'm expecting/prepared to have my cajones stepped on for even entertaining the thought of obtaining the legal means to carry in New Jersey. Believe me, I've seen enough posts about the impossibility that this is for PRNJ residents no less nonresidents.
    However, I'm the type of person who likes to defy odds in life, so here goes ...
    I've printed out the New Jersey application for a Permit to Carry a Handgun. YES, they do exist. As it sits on my printer, I got to thinking ...
    We all talk about how this is crazy, why even entertain the notion, it's never going to happen, right? BUT, have any of us ever tried? Unless I'm mistaken, since I haven't done extensive research yet, it appears the only cost related is a $20 app fee, so it's worth a shot from a monetary perspective. I suppose I'm just interested to hear from anyone who has applied in NJ, and/or has firsthand knowledge of anyone who has, and what the outcome was? Unless you're private detective/armored car guard, or a fed, I'm sure the outcome was less than desirable. Nevertheless, I'm stubborn, and refuse to believe it's absolutely impossible. If there's a one percent chance out of 100 that I might be approved, I'm willing to give it a try. Call it a social experiment.
    Well, now that that's out of the way, please feel free to bash away.
    As a side note, NJ is a "may issue" state, which means they do issue permits, it's just incredibly discretionary. It's not like I'm trying to carry in Illinois or Wisconsin. So to reiterate, even though I know it's probably damn near impossible, and the woman at the State Police who I spoke to outright admitted the application most likely would be denied, I'm ready to do my journalistic duty, and apply away. Thoughts? Public thrashings? I'm ready ...

Default Re: New Jersey carry permit

You have fun with that!

I know plenty of Jersey people that have tried and even had good reasons and they got turned down. But have at it, we can't wait.

(Delaware County)

Ha! Yeah I've heard the stories too.
    It seems like NJ is one of those states where it's all who you know. Well, I have my share of contacts there, including retired LEO, retired fed, current residents, etc. Do you think this will help me out at all? Or am I better served spending my time bashing my head against the wall ... might get better results.

(Philadelphia County)

Keep in mind that when applying for other state's permits, you will be asked whether or not you have been denied by other states. I am not sure if you can explain why you were denied on those applications either and how that will impact issuance.

Al

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyec View Post
    OK, Ok, I'm expecting/prepared to have my cajones stepped on for even entertaining the thought of obtaining the legal means to carry in New Jersey. Believe me, I've seen enough posts about the impossibility that this is for PRNJ residents no less nonresidents.
    However, I'm the type of person who likes to defy odds in life, so here goes ...
    I've printed out the New Jersey application for a Permit to Carry a Handgun. YES, they do exist. As it sits on my printer, I got to thinking ...
    We all talk about how this is crazy, why even entertain the notion, it's never going to happen, right? BUT, have any of us ever tried? Unless I'm mistaken, since I haven't done extensive research yet, it appears the only cost related is a $20 app fee, so it's worth a shot from a monetary perspective. I suppose I'm just interested to hear from anyone who has applied in NJ, and/or has firsthand knowledge of anyone who has, and what the outcome was? Unless you're private detective/armored car guard, or a fed, I'm sure the outcome was less than desirable. Nevertheless, I'm stubborn, and refuse to believe it's absolutely impossible. If there's a one percent chance out of 100 that I might be approved, I'm willing to give it a try. Call it a social experiment.
    Well, now that that's out of the way, please feel free to bash away.
    As a side note, NJ is a "may issue" state, which means they do issue permits, it's just incredibly discretionary. It's not like I'm trying to carry in Illinois or Wisconsin. So to reiterate, even though I know it's probably damn near impossible, and the woman at the State Police who I spoke to outright admitted the application most likely would be denied, I'm ready to do my journalistic duty, and apply away. Thoughts? Public thrashings? I'm ready ...
    You, as a non-resident, would need to go to the nearest NJ State Police barracks...not on a toll road....submit the app...your $20 app fee...and $60.25 fingerprint/background check fee.

NJ SP FAQ #5
    Q5.

When is fingerprinting required?

A5.

Individuals must be fingerprinted when applying for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun.

An individual making application for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same licensing authority for which he or she was previously fingerprinted, and who provides other reasonable satisfactory proof of his or her identity, in the discretion of the chief of police or Superintendent, need not be fingerprinted again.

An individual seeking a Permit to Carry a Handgun must be fingerprinted upon the initial application and each subsequent renewal.

Fees - $60.25 certified check or money order made out to the Division of State Police S.B.I. Additional information can be obtained from your local police department or nearest New Jersey State Police station.

Police departments with questions concerning fingerprints or fees please contact the Criminal Information Unit at ext. 2991

(Bucks County)

The problem may come in later when you try to apply for a permit and have to say you were denied in NJ.

(Montgomery County)

it would be interesting to sue them if they reject you then Supeona a list of those who have recieved and for what reasons . Then just meet those reasons . Good luck with that!

(Delaware County)

You guys bring up a good point with regard to future applications, and how a NJ denial might affect that. It's certainly something to take under advisement before moving ahead.
    So ... you're essentially saying if I get denied here, but have my LTCF, Utah CFP, etc, I may run into issues when renewing said licenses because of a NJ denial? Anyone with more insight on this, since it's definitely something I hadn't considered before.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyec View Post
    You guys bring up a good point with regard to future applications, and how a NJ denial might affect that. It's certainly something to take under advisement before moving ahead.
    So ... you're essentially saying if I get denied here, but have my LTCF, Utah CFP, etc, I may run into issues when renewing said licenses because of a NJ denial? Anyone with more insight on this, since it's definitely something I hadn't considered before.
    Double check the applications of the other states to see the questions they ask. It may worth a phone call to BCI and even Philly GPU to find out how denials from other states will affect future applications. Though I think renewals, especially with the Philly interview process where you can explain the reason, may make this concern somewhat of a non-issue.

Al

(Bucks County)

That question about previous denial all came about when We (NJ residents) I am a past NJ resident, apply for a NJFID card, it specifically asks if we had ever been denied a permit for firearms before.

In Philadelphia, things are difficult as it is.

I will leave the NJ carry issues to my friends still residing in the hell hole of NJ.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast