(Monroe County)

Default PV looking for 6% tax increase

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...4/NEWS/5140354

Pleasant Valley eyes 6 percent tax hike, more cuts

Dan Berrett
    By Dan Berrett
    Pocono Record Writer
    May 14, 2010

Taxpayers in Pleasant Valley could see their property taxes rise 6 percent next year, the district announced Thursday.

The proposed 8.13-mill tax increase occurs in the face of declining enrollment, staff cuts and uncertain state funding.
    Multimedia

Austerity measures already taken, which the district described in its budget documents as "painful yet necessary," include plans to close Eldred Elementary School next year, not filling vacant positions, and slashing 19 teaching jobs.

Enrollment in the 5,900-student district has fallen by nearly 400 since last year. About 700 additional students live in Pleasant Valley and are the district's responsibility but attend charter, cyber charter or alternative schools, or are home schooled.

"I think declining is definitely harder than growing," said Doug Arnold, the district's superintendent, during a presentation at the district's school board meeting. "No one, no one could have predicted that."

At the same time, the number of "severely needy" special education students in the district has increased.

The more than $92 million spending plan represents a dip of $1.2 million from the current year's budget.

Most of the money — 59 percent — comes from local sources.

But the level of state funding, which accounts for about 39 percent of the district's budget, remains unclear.

Pleasant Valley officials said they would look to reduce the tax rate further by the time the budget is formally adopted June 24.

"We have been reviewing, line item by line item, looking for areas to cut," said Susan Famularo, the district's business manager.

One possibility the district is exploring is moving to a four-day workweek in the summer
    Another great thing we can thank all the people from NY / NJ for... thanks guys!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: PV looking for 6% tax increase

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Another great thing we can thank all the people from NY / NJ for... thanks guys!

Your welcome, It's just nice to be thought of sometimes even if you gives us more credit than deserved.
    I never realized my relocation from NY to Pa would decline school enrollment, bring uncertainty to the amount of state funding or elect local politicians and schoolboard members that would allow programs to be developed without a funding source. I must have more power than I thought.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    Your welcome, It's just nice to be thought of sometimes even if you gives us more credit than deserved.
    I never realized my relocation from NY to Pa would decline school enrollment, bring uncertainty to the amount of state funding or elect local politicians and schoolboard members that would allow programs to be developed without a funding source. I must have more power than I thought.
    Just using round figures. It costs 10K per child per year at PV. The average transplant had 2.something kids when they moved here. That`s 20K a year for education. Average real estate tax bill is about 3K. That`s 17K somebody has to pay.

Add to the fact they NYC workers usually don`t contribute to the pa, and local earned income taxes because of lack of reciprocity and we have even more deficit. (we have reciprocity with NJ)

If you moved here and work in Pa the earned income tax is a moot point.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...07/-1/NEWS0901
    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...05/-1/NEWS0901
    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...egory=NEWS0901
    Most people that I know that work in NJ and NY buy most of their gas in cheaper NJ so no Pa road use taxes are collected.

(Monroe County)

The influx created a need to build new schools and float more bonds increasing our debt service. Now the all the mortgage walk aways and people going back to NJ/NY we are losing students but still paying for the expansion we were forced to do to accommodate their kids.

(Monroe County)

Here we go again!

(Monroe County)

Know doubt their was a great part played by "transplants". Their were other factors at play as well like a state in deficit and looking to cut spending on a usual place like schools as opposed to their sacred redistributive entitlements that keep them in their jobs. Shits tough all around, what can you do. I do find it funny though that "transplants" screw up the area when they move here and screw it up when they leave so it just sounds like i'm screwed.

(Monroe County)

Know doubt their was a great part played by "transplants". Their were other factors at play as well like a state in deficit and looking to cut spending on a usual place like schools as opposed to their sacred redistributive entitlements that keep them in their jobs. Shits tough all around, what can you do. I do find it funny though that "transplants" screw up the area when they move here and screw it up when they leave so it just sounds like i'm screwed.
    People need to stop blaming the "transplants", and what a fucking prejorative word if I ever heard one by the way, and start looking at the shit birds who were running our local governments when before, during, and after the influx of people from surrounding cities.

None of them before the influx had the foresight to plan ahead, set policies, and take responsibility. This, in my opinion, is the worst fuck up of it all. No reasonable person who is involved in the community, especially in local politics, and even more undeniably if they were in local government positions can claim they had no idea the amount of homes that were going to be built, the marketing going on in the cities, and the influx that was about to occur. They did NOTHING. N O T H I N G to take advantage of the situation at the benefit OF THE PEOPLE.

Nobody during the influx did anything appropriate with the new found sources of income, except to fuck up the budget, and not take responsibility. They let everyone get knee deep in the shit by their inaction, when action could have helped prevent the current situation from being as bad as it is.

Nobody after the influx has done a god damned thing except raise the budget and taxes, and not take responsibility. Throw band aids at everything and hope for the best. If we had any fiscally conservative people running the show, we wouldn't need to rely on nearly 40% of the budget from the state.

All this not taking responsibility by the people we elected falls back on us. A lack of responsibility by the government is countered by taxing the shit out of the citizens to get more money to throw at policies that won't stop bleeding out.
    Last edited by jcabin; May 15th, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

The blame is what it is and can`t be sugar coated. There was no way in hell back in the early 80`s we could predict people would come to the boonies , build McMansions and drive 2 to 2 1/2 hours to work.
    Chestnuthill has outstanding supervisors that have done a great job in maintaining low taxes. Schools are another story but blame the voters for putting the school board in place.

The reason I blame transplants now is because I have never seen so many walk away from mortgages and house and when you look into it most came from the east. If you`ve built an overpriced house, mortgaged it to the hilt you have no equity so nothing to lose.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post

Nobody during the influx did anything appropriate with the new found sources of income, except to fuck up the budget, and not take responsibility. They let everyone get knee deep in the shit by their inaction, when action could have helped prevent the current situation from being as bad as it is.

Nobody after the influx has done a god damned thing except raise the budget and taxes, and not take responsibility. Throw band aids at everything and hope for the best. If we had any fiscally conservative people running the show, we wouldn't need to rely on nearly 40% of the budget from the state.

All this not taking responsibility by the people we elected falls back on us. A lack of responsibility by the government is countered by taxing the shit out of the citizens to get more money to throw at policies that won't stop bleeding out.

You said it much better than I could have. Tried to rep you buy I must spread it around. An influx of people can definitely screw up an area but If the trend started from the eighties then we are talking a problem that has been developing for around 25 years.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    The blame is what it is and can`t be sugar coated. There was no way in hell back in the early 80`s we could predict people would come to the boonies , build McMansions and drive 2 to 2 1/2 hours to work.
    Chestnuthill has outstanding supervisors that have done a great job in maintaining low taxes. Schools are another story but blame the voters for putting the school board in place.

The reason I blame transplants now is because I have never seen so many walk away from mortgages and house and when you look into it most came from the east. If you`ve built an overpriced house, mortgaged it to the hilt you have no equity so nothing to lose.

I don't understand how people could not believe that people would move hear in great influx and commute to NY. I dreamed of moving out here from the mid nineties. This started when my parents wanted to move here and have my dad commute to Indian Point power plant.

Unfortunately illness in the family kept my parents from leaving Queens. Point being in 1993 home builders, Martz buses and realtors were pumping the low cost of housing, low cost of living and easy commute to NYC. So for at least 17 years plenty of people new the influx had been coming and was only going to get stronger. Their are also many people who knew the market was out of control and going to have to go through a major correction. This is why it took me so long to move out here, waiting for the bubble to burst.

This is specifically about the school taxes which as you yourself stated is a fault of the voters. JCabin also talked about relying on 40 percent of your budget from the state. These are two things besides transplants that are responsible for the current situation.

Unfortunately many people are just walking away from their commitments these days but it's a trend nationally and not specific to this area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast