Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Im 24 and taking Hunters/ Trapper Education is there gonna be a bunch of little kids?

Am i going to feel weird. the fact that im a girl and over the age of 11 attending these classes?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Im 24 and taking Hunters/ Trapper Education is there gonna be a bunch of little k

Yes, it will be about 95% small children. My friends and I went last year, ages 23-25. There was 3 or 4 other adults taking the course, but another 30 or so were children. Their parents were there along side them though.

There is some interesting stuff I learned that I wouldn't have known otherwise. Nothing in the way of weapons handling or firearm safety, I knew everything they covered in regards to that. But you will learn alot about conservation efforts, and nifty little facts about or indigenous animal population.

The exam is geared more towards 5th graders, and the testing format and question technicality reflects that. As an adult you should have no problem passing it with your eyes closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Im 24 and taking Hunters/ Trapper Education is there gonna be a bunch of little k

Being mostly of the younger demographic, you may feel a little weird, but there's no shame in it. Plus, being of the female persuasion, it may not feel as weird for you either. Another option is to find a younger relative or friend that wants to take it as well. If you are paired with someone else, you may feel more comfortable.. My dad took it with me when I went for mine years ago.

But anyway, it really is mostly common sense. Don't sweat it. Just pay attention, particularly to the things you aren't very knowledgeable in, and you'll learn some things.

Good luck!
    III%

(Washington County)

there are also independent study class on the schedule. you do all the study online show up get the game law portion then take the test. Alot of adults opt for this.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky489 View Post
    Am i going to feel weird. the fact that im a girl and over the age of 11 attending these classes?
    Hey Lucky,

I am also a girl and took hunters Ed last year when I was 21. There were a decent amount of kids but there were also a few, maybe 8 or so my age or older. To make it less awkward I took the self study class so it was only 3 hours of instruction instead of the two days. But i realized that was unessacary, everyone was really nice and helpful.

Good luck with your class, and if your low on time and dont want to kill a whole weekend the self study class is the way to go.

Nikki
    Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! ~Les Mis

(Columbia County)

I just looked up the independent study classes, their not for like 2 months so im just going to go to the 2 day class that im scheduled in starting today. Thank you for the insights, now i just have to worry about passing! i know the test is easy but i know absolutly nothing, i didnt grow up in a hunting home

(Butler County)

Hi! I'm a girl, too. I was 28 when I took the class last year. It was mostly 11-12 year-old boys and their dads. I didn't feel weird at all.
    The test wasn't hard. The annoying kid in front of me missed 8 and they passed him.

(Northampton County)

I did it last year and I was 41.

It was 90% kids but it was no big deal.

Kids were well behaved and the course was well organized/executed.

I needed to do it. That's the way it is. I did it.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Franklin County)

took my son in law a few years ago, he was 25 at the time. there were 65 and 70 year olds there too. don't worry about the age thing,, Just enjoy the class...
    In God We Trust............................

(York County)

i took it about 8 years ago, and there was quite a diverse group, age-wise. we had about 30 people in the class (IIRC), and i'd say about half the class was teenage or under. the rest varied pretty good between younger, middle-aged, and older people. only a handful of females though(again, IIRC).

don't worry about that though. just try to stay awake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast