Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question i want to do this right

So,I'm coming to pittsburg for the weekend, am I OK to bring my pistol in the car till I get to where I'm going?

Default Re: i want to do this right

If you keep your ammo and gun seperate you should have no problems in Pa. I don't know about the states inbetween. Don't quote me on this, but i believe PA honors NC's LTCF so then you should be ok to even carry it in your car in PA. But like I said before I don't know about the states inbetween PA and NC. I'm still tryin to make heads or tails of these laws too so I'll try to help you but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

If you have a license from any state you can carry (loaded or not, concealed or not) in your vehicle in PA. If you step out of the car, you can open carry (no license needed outside Philly) or conceal (if you have a license with reciprocity). Weird, I agree.

If the trip takes you through Maryland keep it locked up and unloaded.

(Allegheny County)

When my son was in college in NC his LCTF from PA was honored there so I assume that your carry privileges are honored here in PA. Of course, internet advice is free and YMMV. Click on the link showing the PA laws to be sure.

(Adams County)

In MD your gun has to be in a seperate container from your ammo. You can't even have a loaded mag or it's considered a loaded weapon. If crossing MD I suggest locking your gun in the trunk and keeping your ammo up front. Then, when you cross the border, load up.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    In MD your gun has to be in a seperate container from your ammo. You can't even have a loaded mag or it's considered a loaded weapon. If crossing MD I suggest locking your gun in the trunk and keeping your ammo up front. Then, when you cross the border, load up.
    A loaded mag is not considered a loaded weapon in md.

(Chester County)

Has the OP established that he is licensed to carry in NC or any other state?

If not, there may well be serious problems with his trip.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Farmerdave, enjoy your trip to the 'burgh. I lived in Danville VA for 20 years and was in Eden several times. Mostly for wrestling tournaments at Morehead when my son was in High School.

If you take I77 north to Beckley WV then 19 North to I79, you won't have to deal with Maryland. Plus that is probably the shortest way for you.

If you have your concealed handgun permit in North Carolina, VA, WV, and PA all honor it
    Last edited by 41 Redhawk; May 14th, 2010 at 02:03 PM.
    The Lord Bless You

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    I guess I was misinformed. You have more experience with these things than I do.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    MD statues do not specifically state the magazine must not be loaded (well not that I could find). However, my brother-in-law is a retired AA County Cop and he will tell you that most cops and about any State Trooper will arrest you and charge you under that statute (if they even had a way to determine you have a loaded mag somewhere in the vehicle, this is assuming they found you did).

Will it go to trial, probably not. Remember, arrest and going to trial are different processes (I'm not a lawyer though). Would someone prevail in a law suit against the state for wrongful whatever, probably not. Quite a few of the MD State Troopers are nothing but jack booted gestapo like nazi thugs, bullies with badges. MD Troopers care nothing about your rights, they only care about the power they hold over citizens of that state.
    Porsche, there is no substitute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast