Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default IDPA Firearm Question

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this is a redudant question, I couldn't find anything similar, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm interested in becoming active in IDPA Competitions, I'm debating on 2 different 45's. I'm considering the Nighthawk Talon or the Kimber Custom Covert, price being a huge factor between the 2, but the customer service at Nighthawk seems to be 2nd to none. Any comments or feedback on this would be very helpful.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: IDPA Firearm Question

Quote Originally Posted by shecht View Post
    I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this is a redudant question, I couldn't find anything similar, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm interested in becoming active in IDPA Competitions, I'm debating on 2 different 45's. I'm considering the Nighthawk Talon or the Kimber Custom Covert, price being a huge factor between the 2, but the customer service at Nighthawk seems to be 2nd to none. Any comments or feedback on this would be very helpful.
    Do you not have a handgun already? If you do, I'd recommend checking it out with what you already have. You might need to buy a few mags, and a holster, but that's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new gun.

(Montgomery County)

Yes, I have an XDm 40 I purchased a few months ago. I definitely wouldn't mind starting with that, but I do want to purchase a new pistol though.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by shecht View Post
    Yes, I have an XDm 40 I purchased a few months ago. I definitely wouldn't mind starting with that, but I do want to purchase a new pistol though.
    Shoot two or three matches with your XD first to make sure the sport really interests you. Then, once you're a little more familiar with the rules and your own current level of training and you've observed shooters in the CDP and ESP divisions using M1911 type platforms you can make up your mind.

Welcome to the sport, I hope you become a 5 gun Expert!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

If you're going to shoot a .45 I hope you have a reloader, it's going to get expensive. Shooting sports/games are extremely dangerous, if you go one time you will become addicted and spend all your money on ammo. If you like the 1911 maybe check out one in 9mm it might save you some money on ammo. If you go with a .45 and you don't reload you're probably looking at at least $50 per match for ammo and $10-$15 to shoot. With IDPA there is no point penalty for shooting a 9mm so it give you the biggest advantage and it's also the cheapest. IPSC you need to shoot 38 super or .40 cal to make major. If I were you I would follow Bricks advice and just go with what you have for now and see how you like it. I thought my HK USP compact .40 was the best gun ever til I shot my first IDPA match. I bought a G17 the next week and never looked back.

If you got the money, (I mean a lot of extra money) and the .45 is calling to you I would get the Nighthawk.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.