Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Reloading? worth it? dangerous?

what do you think, is it worth reloading your own ammunition, for any kind of caliber?

Is it dangerous (chance of explosion due to powder)?i dunno, just figured id ask.

Can you reload with hollow point bullet?

As you can see im new to this, so excuse my not knowing...but if you know, then shout out some responses, please..thx

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Reloading? worth it? dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by ca2pa View Post
    what do you think, is it worth reloading your own ammunition, for any kind of caliber?

Is it dangerous (chance of explosion due to powder)?i dunno, just figured id ask.

As you can see im new to this, so excuse my not knowing...but if you know, then shout out some responses, please..thx
    It costs me $3.93 for 50 reloaded 9's or 45's. I get the brass free or dirt cheap (.01 a round). Most expensive part now seems to be toss up between bullet, powder and primer.
    The activity of the mind is life. -Aristotle

(Bucks County)

so considering all costs, how much does it cost you to reload a 50 round box of lets say....45 ?

(Tioga County)

After amortizing the initial cost of your equipment there is a great savings. How long it will take you to amortize depends on how much you invest in equipment. A small single stage setup can be had for under $200. A top of the line progressive setup can go over $1000.

No, it is not dangerous as long as you pay attention to the details of reloading. It's not rocket science but you do need to follow the rules. you need to stay within published loads.

Yes, you can reload with hollow point bullets.

BTW smokeless powder is not rated as an explosive. It is considered Highly Flamable. Stored in the containers the MFG provides they are designed to burst before any kind of detonation can occur. Modern smokelass powders do not burn well except under high pressure, high temperature conditions,

(Luzerne County)

The only "factory" ammo I have purchased in over 15 years is 12ga shotgun shells, 7.62x39mm (SKS) and 7.62x54r (MN 91/30).

I currently reload for; .380, 9mm, .38, .357mag, .44mag, .45acp, .223/5.56mm, 8mm Mauser, .303 British, 7.5 Swiss, .30 M1 Carbine and .30/06 (hunting rifle, M1 Garand and 1903A3).

I end up shooting a lot of ammo every year and no way would I want to be buying factory unless I absolutely had to.

(Westmoreland County)

Using the supplies I have on hand now, at the prices I purchased them at, 3.93 a box of 50. If I had to purchase the items now, it would run 4.98 a box of 50.

Check this link for costs.....Handloading Costs Calculator

SteveD
    The activity of the mind is life. -Aristotle

(Lebanon County)

I reload .223 and 6.5x55 swedish mauser. It isn't hard, is time consuming though. I learned from Mauser, a member here.

(Susquehanna County)

Reloading is generally worth the time and expense, especially after you've "saved" enough for the equipment to have paid for itself. But Be Warned you'll probably not see any benefit from the savings, because the money not spent on buying ammunition will be spent on SHOOTING MORE.

So far the only time I've found reloading to be dangerous was when I resized my left thumb and seated my index finger. Other than that, if you follow the instructions, use proven data and materials, and apply normal safety procedures, you'll find it is a very safe activity. You might also find that you're not sure if you are reloading in order to shoot more or shooting in order to reload more.

In any event, before you decide, buy or borrow a couple reloading manuals and read the "HOW TO" sections a couple times to see if it is something you really want to do. Or better yet, connect with a buddy that reloads and spend a couple hours at the press with him.

(Centre County)

I've been reloading since 1973, have never had any accidents. Reloading is a single minded task, do not do it if your mind is not on the task. Any interruption can lead to a problem. When I reload my family knows to leave me alone (only interrupt if the house is burning or my granddaughter wants to talk to Grampy .

Over the years I have reloaded, .38 spl, .357 Mag, .44 spl, .44 mag, 9mm, .45 acp, 30-30, 7-30 Waters, 7mm Mag, 30.06, .270Win, .280 Rem, .223/5.56mm, .204 Ruger, 7x57, .32 Win Spl, .35 Rem, .32 Rem, and .300 Rem Ultra Mag.

Once you get the brass the cost goes way down. I could always beat factory loads and I can tailor the load to the firearm for the best accuracy. Nowadays however, with the cost of components going up the margin is less but I like to load to get the best performance out of each of my firearms so I don't mind the cost so much.

Smokeless powder will not explode, it just burns very fast. In fact the way to dispose of old powder that you are not sure is good any more is to take it outside and dump it in small piles and light the piles. DO NOT DO THIS WITH BLACK POWDER - BLACK POWDER IS EXPLOSIVE.

You can reload any type or style of bullet manufactured today. Again if you reload you typically load components geared toward what you are going to do. For example, when shooting competition (PPC) I loaded my 38's with Federal primers, 2.5 grains of Solo 1000 or Red Dot, and topped it with a 148 grain Hollow Base Wadcutter (great accuracy, little smoke, went about 700 fps). My 204 Ruger gets HP's for certain types of shooting, FMJ for other things.

I actually find that reloading is relaxing to me and others have said the same thing.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Cool Re: Reloading? worth it? dangerous?

Absolutely worth it. It reduces the per round cost of shooting. Gives you control over the cartridge. Allows you to make rifle round custom to your rifle. Gives you an appreciation of the ammo itself. It extends the fun of shooting.

Is it dangerous (chance of explosion due to powder)?
    No, it is safe. Use common sense when handling and storing your powder and primers. You can overload a round and cause a kaboom. Following reputable reloading manuals avoids this.

Most firearms manuals warn against using hand-loaded ammo. This is a legal maneuver to protect them from liability should you KB your pistol. Factory ammunition is kept within accepted maximum pressures. With hand-loading, it is up to you to provide that quality control.

Yes. Hand-loading allows you to practice with hollowpoints of a fraction of the price of factory loads. It also allows you to try other bullet weights that may be had to find in practice loads. For example, most 40S&W FMJ is 180gr. But HP's run from 135 gr to 180gr. Hand-loading allows you to try 135gr for lower cost.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast