Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default GunVault Nano Vault Key or Combination

I have only recently starting to use my S&W Sigma 9mm for home defense and carry. Previous to this when not in use I used the supplied gun lock to prevent unauthorized use. But I want something that I can secure the firearm from unauthorized use without having to unholster and unload it.

I like that the Nano Vault comes with the security cable, is small enough to pack easily in a suitcase or backpack and is TSA approved. I can also use it if I was traveling through a state I could not carry in.

My question comes down to weather I should get they keyed version or the new combination. Price between the two is not an issue. I'm leaning toward the combination as I would never have to worry about they key being misplaced or falling into the wrong hands. I guess the downside is someone could conceivably shoulder surf or guess the combination and get access to the firearm vs. having to physically steal the key.

Key version: http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault.html

Combination version: http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safe...vault-300.html
    Last edited by QuackXP; May 12th, 2010 at 07:44 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: GunVault Nano Vault Key or Combination

Definitely the combination version, IMO. Keys are easy to lose and inconvenient to use in a hurry. Plus a keyed lock can be picked anyway so it's not like it's 100% foolproof even if you have the key on you every second.

I use something similar (though not that exact manufacturer) and mine is a type of combination lock. I love how quick I can access the gun and I never have to worry about where the key is. Assuming the combo lock on the Nano is as sturdy as the keyed lock, that would be my choice.

(Allegheny County)

That looks suspiciously like a Center of Mass safe:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/132...fe-review.html

(Washington County)

Those are great for travel or storage in the car I have one of the key ones bought it before the combo one came out and have not gotten around to replace it yet but for home storage where you want quick and almost instant access but not anyone else to be able to get it I would go with something a little bit different.

http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...-491p46112.htm

Bolt that sucker down in the bedroom and with the finger grove buttons you will be able to access your firearm quicker and with out looking (example in the dark). and Price is actually not all that much more than other one. My opinion get both one for the car and one for the bedroom.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
    Those are great for travel or storage in the car I have one of the key ones bought it before the combo one came out and have not gotten around to replace it yet but for home storage where you want quick and almost instant access but not anyone else to be able to get it I would go with something a little bit different.

http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...-491p46112.htm

Bolt that sucker down in the bedroom and with the finger grove buttons you will be able to access your firearm quicker and with out looking (example in the dark). and Price is actually not all that much more than other one. My opinion get both one for the car and one for the bedroom.
    I've looked at the finger grove models. But I will not have my firearm locked up at home when I am home with it. We don't have any children and my girlfriend has good firearm handling skills. I would rather not have to manipulate any lock to get to my firearm in the middle of the night. I am more concerned if I have to leave the firearm at home for whatever reason that a intruder cannot use it against me. I've already been presented with times where I needed to keep my firearm in my car and have an immediate need for portable security.

Sometime in 2011 my girlfriends sister and her kids will be spending some time with us while her husband is deployed with the Navy. I may consider the GV1000 then. But that is over a year from now and who knows with the Navy.