Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Where is the Best...

Okay ive been in PA for about two weeks now and have tried a philly cheesesteak (do we call them "philly" cheesesteak sandwiches or just cheesesteaks? In CA we call them "philly") at Ishkabibbles? im not too sure about the spelling, but the car rental guy said that those are "alright" but not the best. SO,,, in YOUR opinion and experience,, WHERE ARE THE BEST CHEESESTEAK SANDWHICHES??

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Where is the Best...

In the Philadelphia area we just call them steaks, the two most famous places in South Philly are:

http://www.genosteaks.com/ GENO's, of the two, my personal favorite.

http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/ Pat's "King of Steaks", probably the one most well known in other parts of the country.

"Grabbing a steak" means lets get a cheese steak sandwich. You can buy a steak on almost every corner around here, most are really good.

My local deli "Doc's" sells a steak that's chocked full of good meat & cheese on an 18" roll for $6.50. My personal favorite.

Geno's and Pat's are very good but a lot more money, smaller and less meat. They are also more of a tourist place to have a steak, but if you are new to the area, or visiting, you have to try one. They're open 24 hours a day too. I must admit though, I do love a Geno's steak and get one whenever I'm in South Philly.

The best use a better cut of meat, "rib-eye", melted Cheese Whiz and an Amoroso roll.

The meat, cheese & roll are what make a cheese steak a Philly steak, I've been places outside of here that claim to sell "Philly Cheese Steaks" but the meat is mediocre or the roll sucks or they use imitation Cheese Whiz.

All in all it's a matter of personal taste, you just have to try a lot of different ones to find the "steak" you like best.

(Bucks County)

yea now i remember hearing about Ginos. Im gonna get me one today. thanks for the recommendation soberbyker!!

(Berks County)

Geno's all the way! On top of a great cheesesteak, "wit, whiz" by the way, they support the 2nd.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Geno's all the way! On top of a great cheesesteak, "wit, whiz" by the way, they support the 2nd.
    AND, they insist you order in English.

By the way, if you want a cheese steak with cheese whiz & fried onions you order;

One whiz, wit
    (wit, is the onions)

(Berks County)

Yer bein' picky now Bill, either order will work, but at Pat's it would get you sent back to the end of the line for screwing up the order.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Philadelphia County)

Personaly I dont like either Pats or Genos, but thats just me. To be honest I think the best steaks vary by location, but it seems the best always seem to be a neighborhood pizza shop, or place like that. Around here the best steak is in a gas station.

The only way to truley find what you consider to be the best place to gt a cheese steak. Is to just try them from different places.

(Allegheny County)

Steve's Prince of Steaks in the northeast, right off the boulevard.

If you HAVE to choose between Pats and Geno's, without a doubt, go to Geno's.

(Berks County)

I really like Jim's right on South Street my self.

The Capn'

(Delaware County)

Tony Lukes rules in South Philly. When I lived in the "HOOD" I would drive to Jim's steaks in west philly and there were bullet holes in the counter!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast