Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Rickett's Glen State Park...

... is a great place to go camping... I will admit that.

BUT... They have 'no firearms' signage and verbiage in the office and even make you verbally confirm that you have no firearms in your possession while you are at the check-in desk...

My apologies if this has come up before (I did a search but couldn't find info specific to Rickett's Glenn State Park), but doesn't 1845 protect the holder of a valid PA LTCF from even being obligated to submit to such rules?

Enlighten me. And also, please accept my apologies in advance - Our RV had a valve issue (on the stank-tank, at that) which distracted us enough that I forgot to snap pics of the signs on my way out of the park (too busy at the dump station)...

So, are their signs and questions truly legal? It's a state park, so 1845 has us covered, no???

Looking forward to you guys' thoughts.

Regards,

Bones

ETA - Please do feel free to just direct me to an existing thread containing relevant conversation on the matter - I am all for doing my own research before posting, but I simply couldn't find what I was seeking this time. Thanks!
    Last edited by JoeyBones; May 12th, 2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: feel free to post thread links!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Rickett's Glen State Park...

From DCNR Ricketts Glenn website

Hunting and Firearms:

About 10,144 acres are open to hunting, trapping and the training of dogs during established seasons. Common game species are deer, turkey, grouse, bear, coyote, pheasant and squirrel. Common furbearers are raccoon, mink, muskrat, beaver, coyote and bobcat. About 83,000 acres of state game lands lie to the west and north of the park.

Hunting woodchucks, also known as groundhogs, is prohibited. Dog training is only permitted from the day following Labor Day through March 31 in designated hunting areas. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Game Commission rules and regulations apply. Contact the park office for ADA accessible hunting information.

Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. Other visitors use the park during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment used for hunting may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner's car, trailer or leased campsite. The only exception is that law enforcement officers and individuals with a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms may carry said firearm concealed on their person while they are within the park.

(Bucks County)

I saw the same signs last year and dismissed them.

The PA DCNR site has updated copy stating that:

Quote Originally Posted by dcnr.state.us
    Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. Other visitors use the park during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment used for hunting may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner's car, trailer or leased campsite. The only exception is that law enforcement officers and individuals with a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms may carry said firearm concealed on their person while they are within the park.
    Bold is mine

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...n.aspx#hunting

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    BUT... They have 'no firearms' signage and verbiage in the office and even make you verbally confirm that you have no firearms in your possession while you are at the check-in desk...
    ... So, are their signs and questions truly legal? It's a state park, so 1845 has us covered, no??
    Did you answer this question in the affirmative, or were you given any information about the "ramifications" of answering this question in the affirmative? It may be a longshot, but could they have been trying to be informative and letting you know that the firearms must stay concealed?
    AFAIK, the signage is out of step with current law. They may be asking that question because there is state game land and a rifle range right around the corner, and people may use the campground frequently to use the range and do some hunting. Although that's a guess, because I haven't hunted in 20 years.
    Last edited by morebbqplease; May 12th, 2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Unarmed people don't get to write the history books, they either die or are enslaved.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by morebbqplease View Post
    Did you answer this question in the affirmative, or were you given any information about the "ramifications" of answering this question in the affirmative? It may be a longshot, but could they have been trying to be informative and letting you know that the firearms must stay concealed?
    The reservation was in my father's name - He was answering the questions, so I stood to the side and observed.

I see what you are suggesting, but I doubt it - The sentence was more of an inquisitive statement to the effect of: "You don't have any pets, firearms, or explosives with you, correct?" He replied "Correct." She (the lady behind the desk) continued filling out our campsite slip w/ her head down the whole time she was asking these questions...

Pets are only allowed at certain sites; Explosives are prohibited altogether; And firearms as well (at least according to their signs).

Thanks a ton for all the replies so far, guys.

This site is truly one-of-a-kind.

My next question - How do we get these antiquated protocols and signs REMOVED altogether? The DCNR (or whoever else runs the facilities there) seems to still be acting as though 1845 never happened, or does not apply, etc...

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; May 12th, 2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: clear up sequence of conversation...

Maybe a letter is in order.

(Berks County)

Don't expect a lot out of the "Granolas" who run the parks but you can write to not only the Park Manager at Ricketts Glen but also to the Regional Manager

Park Region 4 Office
    2808 Three Mile Run Road
    Perkasie PA 18944

Good luck with them. When I talk guns at work it's like beating my head against a wall.

If you have a LTCF you're legal.
    Screw their question.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    If you have a LTCF you're legal.
    Screw their question.
    This is what I was thinking, I was just trying to sound helpful. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Unarmed people don't get to write the history books, they either die or are enslaved.

(Indiana County)

Based on Pa. Code, the sign is legal.

However, as posted above, based on Pa. Statute, concealed carry is legal.

Open carry remains a summary offense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast