Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Schuykill gun friendly?

Looking to possibly buy some land in Schuykill county, 5 or more acres for recreational camping, shooting etc. Eventually to build and live there. I've driven through there quite a few times on 443 heading west to visit family.

What are some areas to avoid? What areas are great for this kind of activity? I'm leaving Monroe county mainly due to the taxes and influx of those previously living further east. :/

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Schuykill gun friendly?

As far as "gun friendly", Schuylkill is pretty good. I can't really speak to the OC/CC reaction portion in the larger cities, since I live in a more rural town, and try to avoid the cities. But a lot of municipalities are pretty lax on shooting on your property. Obviously, you will still want to be sure of that before buying the land though.

Best areas with land? Hmm... Klingerstown/Pitman/Line Mountain area, Pine Grove area, Tuscarora area, Orwigsburg area... just some ideas land-wise. You could also look at Northumberland. There's some nice areas there as well...
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; May 12th, 2010 at 08:55 AM.
    III%

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    You could also look at Northumberland. There's some nice areas there as well...

If you look at Northumberland, the Trevorton area is very nice, as well as Ralpho Township (near Knoebel's amusement park)

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMCRich82 View Post
    If you look at Northumberland, the Trevorton area is very nice, as well as Ralpho Township (near Knoebel's amusement park)
    Yup! I was actually going to mention it, but then I forgot...
    III%

My first camping experiences and where I learned to shoot when I was 6 was in the Pine Grove area... Jeff's Swamp?? That would be pretty ironic to end up in that area! Thanks for the info.

(Schuylkill County)

I was driving in Schuylkill Haven today and came up behind a police car. On the bumper was an advertisement "Schuylkill Gun Works - Supporting Law Enforcement" or some such slogan.
    Having gun shop advertising on a police car is about as friendly as it gets.

(Luzerne County)

My family has owned 3-4 acres in Barnesville for the past 20 years. It's in the basic vicinity of Tuscarora State Park.

People have been shooting and hunting on the property for as long as I can remember. We've never had any problems with neighbors or local law enforcement.

A lot of the neighbors are gun owners and shoot on their property as well. Definitely a gun friendly area.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    I was driving in Schuylkill Haven today and came up behind a police car. On the bumper was an advertisement "Schuylkill Gun Works - Supporting Law Enforcement" or some such slogan.
    Ill bet I know the guy that drives that car.

Far as I can tell, Sch county is gun friendly. Just don't go walking down main street with a rifle case... thats asking for trouble.

My vote would go to the pine grove area... lots of places to shoot there.

Personally I found a nice little spot on reading anthracites land where I can stretch my rem. 700 out to a grand. Been shooting there for months now and never had a problem. But then again I asked first...

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    Right... until you OC on Main St. on those same "gun-friendly, pro-2A" police, who are supported by a gun shop that I frequent, want to detain you to "make sure you're not a felon".
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mteague09 View Post
    Ill bet I know the guy that drives that car.

Far as I can tell, Sch county is gun friendly. Just don't go walking down main street with a rifle case... thats asking for trouble.

My vote would go to the pine grove area... lots of places to shoot there.

Personally I found a nice little spot on reading anthracites land where I can stretch my rem. 700 out to a grand. Been shooting there for months now and never had a problem. But then again I asked first...

Why not, I do it everytime I go to my door. LOL

Hell my 7 in. AR pistol didnt even get a second look from the local PD the other night. Maybe he was more concerned about doing his job than harassing a law abiding citizen (cough, cough). I did have my Glock open carried and my P11 in my pocket(desantis tuck that I just hook on my pocket and it allows easy access with the grip out the top of the pocket) also. The AR (with FULL 30 rd mag) was laying on my range bag by my open garage door where I was sitting drinking a beer. He was within 15 feet of it but maybe did not see it when he drove through the alley.
    Masters Degree from, School of Hardknocks and College of Common Sense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast