Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Too much for this Ak-47?

HI,
    I was just at Tanners sport shop today (cool store and nice people) so the guy basically showed the Ar's and the Ak's he had, i was blown away and now i know for a fact that im purchasing the least expensive AK-47 first. I believe it was Romanian WASR, i dont remember the number, well anyways it was priced (new with two 30 round mags, bayonet, some type of pouches for mags) for about $380. Now, do you think this is a good price for what i'll be getting or should i shop around more?

Default Re: Too much for this Ak-47?

not a horrible price... but you can find them cheaper your best bet is a gun show, or online auction..

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ca2pa View Post
    HI,
    I was just at Tanners sport shop today (cool store and nice people) so the guy basically showed the Ar's and the Ak's he had, i was blown away and now i know for a fact that im purchasing the least expensive AK-47 first. I believe it was Romanian WASR, i dont remember the number, well anyways it was priced (new with two 30 round mags, bayonet, some type of pouches for mags) for about $380. Now, do you think this is a good price for what i'll be getting or should i shop around more?
    Dunhams had WASR-10's for $320.00 last week.

BTW, the WASR is prototypical AKM; crude, rude, but effective and well worth the under $400.00 you find them for.

They are Americanized Romanian-made AKMs from Century, with all the evil pre-ban features, plus American parts added.

If you get one, be prepared for a LONG de-cosmoline session, they ooze the stuff from every nook and cranny.

See also: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/

For a little more money you can get a decent AK: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=275

Thats the same one I have. The only "problem" I had was the dust cover didn't fit like I 'thought' it should. Lancaster paid for me to send them my dust cover for modification. They ground out the notch where the serial number is and reformed it so it sat more square, re coated it in durakote and shipped it back to me with another cover. In the end I was just being a anal newb and didn't know until I started looking at alot of pictures that most AK's slightly cover the serial number.

Anyway, Blaine at Atlantic and Chet at Lancaster are good people. Like any company Lancaster had built some "duds"...alledgedly... but in every case I've read about they along with Atlantic (if the rifle was purchased there) were eager to fix it and make it right. Look around ar15.com and akforum.net about info on wasr ak's. Your going to find alot of " my wasr won't...." or "why does my wasr mag wobble" threads...
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Bucks County)

Ok well honestly, do you folks think that the romanian WASR is not a good purchase? Lets just say i was willing to spend about $500 on an AK,, which one would you recommend me to go with...thanks

(Allegheny County)

Its your wallet.

My WASR-10 goes BANG 30 times in a row. Some of the mags wobble, some don't -but all go BANG 30 times in a row. The ChiCom drum goes BANG 75 times in a row.

As seen on other threads - it has AK accuracy for an AK price.

(Philadelphia County)

gotta give a +1 for the romy wasr 10
    not the best...or pretiest...or most looked up to, but worth EVERY dollar.
    the AK "guru's" are negative towards them...but they go bang EVERY time...
    for the averae joe, i think that they are a VERY good choice.

this is only my opinion...

$380.00 for a WASR is a Fair Price, You could do better or you could do worse. If I was you (Am I not) I would just get it be done with it. Most everybody here will recommend something different, But the truth be told, You can't go wrong with any of the AK type rifles and IMO the WASR is a Great place to start. I own a WASR2 and a WASR10/63 along with a Yugo M70B1 and I prefer the WASR's over the Yugo -- It's slightly lighter and since it's comes from the factory already beat to shit, I don't feel like I need to be gentle with it out in the field.
    Recoil Happens

(Cambria County)

Go get it. It comes with some nice extras. The price is in the ballpark. And someone else put it best. It will shoot, and probably shoot more reliably than any other rifle you own. Especially for the price your going to pay. Get the WASR and after you have the AK bug. You can shop for other models later.

AK's RULE
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

In addition to all that has been said, Ray Tanner has an excellent reputation, so don't fear dealing with him, he's one of the good guys. Check his rep on the various FN forums (he DEEPLY discounts FN products), I'd buy from him with little to no reservation.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast