Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pistol comparison question

i'm pretty set on a sig p226 as my first pistol, but from there, it's a little fuzzy.

i like the elite dark in 9, but then i saw the tactical operations.

the elite dark has the srt and beavertail and aluminum grip

T.O. has like..the same thing, am i right?

so what's the difference?

thanks
    Last edited by blysccr; May 9th, 2010 at 10:42 PM.

Default Re: pistol comparison question

The tac comes with bigger mags, the grips are plastic and it has slide serrations at the front. it also has night sights.
    The elite dark can come with a threaded barrel, the short reset trigger, aluminum grips and the extended beavertail. Has night sight rear and a tru-glo front i believe. (I'm going off sig's specs)

As far as a 226 goes, they're great. I've had mine (its a .40) for about two months now and have about 1000 rounds through it and so far no issues. (knock on wood) lol. I have the new E2 model that has new ergonomics. But you should definitely look into a used one. i paid a lot for mine and found out a few weeks later that I could have got a nearly new used one for about half of what I payed for mine.

ETA: Look for an older german one if you do go with a used one... They're nicer IMO
    Last edited by SigSauer226; May 9th, 2010 at 11:06 PM.

I checked out the website. Which is a better value/ more features? I like the aluminum grips, I bet they are more $$ than extended mags.

The only thing I would see as the better out of the two is the short reset trigger. Mine has it an i love it i tried another with out it and it felt like it took forever for it reset compared to the srt. As far as grips go, there are tons of different grips available so look around and dont limit yourself to just the elite because you like the way the grips look. But this is all just my opinion its your money, spend it the way that makes you the happiest.

thanks for the info. As far as grips, what i meant was 4 high cap. mags are probably the same price (ballpark) as the factory aluminum grips.

i initially wanted to go with the elite dark, and i'll probably stick with it.

thanks

(Montgomery County)

The only way to really know is spend some trigger time with one. A pistol the size of a P226 is pretty hard to carry on a regular basis concealed, so be warned. I am not saying it is impossible, just a bit harder.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

i'm not too worried about concealing it. i plan on getting a crossbreed for it, i have read they are nice.

I also have a crossbreed supertuck and yes, they are nice. But, like Steve nephilla said it is a full size gun so even with the supertuck you still need to find the "right" shirt and pants for your body and where on your hip you're going to put it. I recommend getting a good belt too, the 226 isn't the lightest gun in the world so you'll need a good belt to keep it and your pants up. Ohh, and about the grips, I don't know how much sig wants for their grips but i would imagine they aren't cheap... and mags are around $50 each from sig.

Thanks for the info. Basically is there a significant reason I should be persuaded away from the elite dark. Thanks guys.

Not at all. If you want the elite, go for it. The short reset trigger is great and it has the extended beavertail frame. The p226 and any variants of it are all good guns. And theyre all around $1000 msrp new so really it comes down to if you want to spend a $100 more (give or take depending if you get a deal at your gun shop) on the elite. The 226 is an awesome gun IMO and no matter which one you choose, it will be a good gun.

ETA: I just found the pricing for sig's aluminum grips. Hold on to something solid. They're $180 msrp! Mags from sig are only $44 each. Except for the 20 round 9mm mag its $60.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; May 12th, 2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added price info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast