Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default where are the metal detectors?

With the vacation season just round the corner I plan on taking the kids to several Philadelphia attractions. Aside form the obvious fed building and national parks is anyone aware of metal detectors at places like the museums, zoo, Eastern State Penitentiary, Aquarium, etc? I wouldn't want to wait in line and then be refused admission and ruin the day. If you know of any metal detectors at the attractions please sound off as a service to me and others who would dare not go to Philly w/o CCing. Thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: where are the metal detectors?

Very few places have metal detectors. Emergency room waiting areas do indeed have metal detectors in Philadelphia. Besides that, game on. Do not be overly paranoid about them, if they were everywhere they would be going off all of the time. After all, they are "metal detectors" not "firearm detectors."
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

When I went to Eastern State Pen for their "Terror Behind The Walls" Halloween tour, they had explicit rules prohibiting firearms (oc/cc) even by those with an LTCF, and that they had IR detectors and whatnot....but no metal detectors. I can't seem to find it on their site now, perhaps it was only for that particular event......

Quote Originally Posted by tourture View Post
    When I went to Eastern State Pen for their "Terror Behind The Walls" Halloween tour, they had explicit rules prohibiting firearms (oc/cc) even by those with an LTCF, and that they had IR detectors and whatnot....but no metal detectors. I can't seem to find it on their site now, perhaps it was only for that particular event......
    East State Pen
    General Rules:
    The following are NOT PERMITTED in the Penitentiary:
    Weapons/Firearms*
    Knives
    Sharp Objects
    Alcohol
    Outside food or beverage
    Smoking
    Flashlights
    No cameras or recording devices of any kind may be used inside the haunted attractions.
    No refunds, exchanges or replacements.

* Eastern State Penitentiary Historice Site has a strict no guns policy. No one may bring a gun onto the property, including off duty police officers, etc.

(Chester County)

It seems you're already aware that guns are not allowed in the National Parks in Philly, but I thought I'd just let you know that the entrance to the Liberty Bell has them, and they also hand search backpacks, purses, camera bags, lunch coolers and any other packages that could conceal a weapon or explosive device. I didn't notice if they have lockers to secure weapons if someone did have one.

I chaparoned my daughter's 7th grade class trip to Philly, and I can't tell you what a PIA it was having each of my students' lunch bags and backpacks searched. I almost needed duct tape over my mouth to keep from yelling at these morons as they went through bags of souvenirs and 12 year old girls' purses as the line outside started to grow. I felt like saying look, these are middle class suburban munchkins. We don't strap bombs to them to blow up a bell, and we certainly wouldn't hide one in a happy meal box if that was our intent.

Two people posted in this thread that no CC/OC at National Park in Philly? Are they writting their own law? Policy? Rules and Regs? Any info on why Philly National Park is not inline with the new Federal law that took effect February 22nd, 2010?

CL

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Two people posted in this thread that no CC/OC at National Park in Philly? Are they writting their own law? Policy? Rules and Regs? Any info on why Philly National Park is not inline with the new Federal law that took effect February 22nd, 2010?

CL
    Because the liberty bell is inside a building.

(Philadelphia County)

Are all buildings on national parks 'federal buildings'? What about something like a bathroom facility in Valley Forge or something? Or a ticket office somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by sttaffy View Post
    Are all buildings on national parks 'federal buildings'? What about something like a bathroom facility in Valley Forge or something? Or a ticket office somewhere?
    Firearms are prohibited in staffed buildings........

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    East State Pen
    General Rules:
    The following are NOT PERMITTED in the Penitentiary:
    Weapons/Firearms*
    Knives
    Sharp Objects
    Alcohol
    Outside food or beverage
    Smoking
    Flashlights
    No cameras or recording devices of any kind may be used inside the haunted attractions.
    No refunds, exchanges or replacements.

* Eastern State Penitentiary Historice Site has a strict no guns policy. No one may bring a gun onto the property, including off duty police officers, etc.
    And there it is. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast