Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Range Finder

(Lackawanna County)

Default Range Finder

I'm looking for a cheap range finder. The cheapest i've found are in the 200 dollar range, is their anything out there thats decent under a 100?

Default Re: Range Finder

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell...ngefinder.html

$120, i believe it had good reviews. I've never seen any cheaper. Check google shopping, it gives you a wide variety of products does all of the searching for you. May luck out

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    I'm looking for a cheap range finder. The cheapest i've found are in the 200 dollar range, is their anything out there thats decent under a 100?
    The short answer to your question is "NO", there aren't any "decent" rangefinders for under $100. Keep in mind decent is very subjective.

The longer answer to the question would require a LOT more information from you. One thing to remember is that not all laser range finders are created even close to equal. Part of what someone considers "decent" depends on what you are ranging and at what distances. All given distances for rangefinders are on reflective targets in optimum conditions. When you're ranging non reflective targets or in conditions that aren't "clear", or in extreme lighting conditions, the distances that the rangefinder can get readings will change DRASTICALLY. If you have a rangefinder that will range reflective targets out to 450-500 yards, chances are you won't get a reading on a deer much over 275-300 yards. I've used lots of rangefinders that were supposed to be good to 900-1,000 yards on reflective targets, but wouldn't range deer or other animals much past 500 yards. More expensive rangefinders will give readings faster, and will not have to be held stable for as long, they will also be more compact.

So what was it that you intended to range? What distances were you wanting to range them at? How large of a rangefinder were you willing to carry? Did you intend to carry a tripod also? What is the minimum magnification that you are willing to use? Either way, you're gonna be hard pressed to find many rangefinders under the $150 mark. One of those has already been mentioned, and it's not even under $120. It's also only 4x, which is less magnification than most people like. They say it'll range a deer to 200 yards, but it's probably even a little less than that. Pretty much, LRF's are an expensive accessory.

In rangefinders, you REALLY get what you pay for. Rangefinders that range in all kinds of adverse conditions, lighting, further ranges, and do so quickly usually cost what people could consider LOTS of money. $400 is on the low end, with $1,000 or more getting in the higher end. For shooting paper and the distances that most peopl shoot though, you don't need even a $400 rangefinder. As I said, it just depends what targets and what distances.

(Lackawanna County)

I was at the range about a month ago and this guy up there had an AR15 and a range finder. I didn't know how small the holes were from a .223 or a 5.56 even on the targets that go from black to a neon greenish yellow. So he was using a range finder to see the holes and to judge distance for sighting in the rifle.

So basically all I'm looking for is one to tell me in yardage how far something is away, nothing further than 200 yards with a little magnification. I'm not going to be hunting with it and I don't really need one with a tripod but if the price is good then lets go.

I was at the range about a month ago and this guy up there had an AR15 and a range finder. I didn't know how small the holes were from a .223 or a 5.56 even on the targets that go from black to a neon greenish yellow. So he was using a range finder to see the holes and to judge distance for sighting in the rifle.

So basically all I'm looking for is one to tell me in yardage how far something is away, nothing further than 200 yards with a little magnification. I'm not going to be hunting with it and I don't really need one with a tripod but if the price is good then lets go.
    In terms of seeing the holes and knowing how much to adjust, you should be able to do that with just a decent magnification. Apparently, y'all weren't using magnification on the rifle you were sighting in, since you were having to see the holes with something else.

I'm kind of curious as to why you need a laser rangefinder if you're taking it to the range and not going to be hunting with it, but I don't know your range set up. Most ranges have target stands or distances marked off, so most of the time you don't need a LRF to know your distances. So I'm a little confused as to why you need an LRF at the range.

Either way, from the way you describe things, it sounds like the model that was mentioned would do fine for you. You don't sound like you need much range, and you should be able to at least slightly spot hits at 100 yards on a shoot-n-see target at 3-4x. They won't look big, but it'll atl east give you an idea of where you are on the target.

(Lehigh County)

Most ranges that I have been on (as a civilian) are known distance... What good would a range finder be on a range like this. Most range finders that I have used do not go higher than 6x. You are not going to see a .22 caliber hole in a target at 100yds with a 6x scope.

Was this guy doing a BZO at 25yds? He would have been able to see .22 cal holes at 25 yds with a 6x scope.

You could get a scope for your rifle that has mil dots and learn how to do the math...
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    You could get a scope for your rifle that has mil dots and learn how to do the math...
    I don't want a mil dot scope. I want a fucking range finder lol

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    In terms of seeing the holes and knowing how much to adjust, you should be able to do that with just a decent magnification. Apparently, y'all weren't using magnification on the rifle you were sighting in, since you were having to see the holes with something else.

I'm kind of curious as to why you need a laser rangefinder if you're taking it to the range and not going to be hunting with it, but I don't know your range set up. Most ranges have target stands or distances marked off, so most of the time you don't need a LRF to know your distances. So I'm a little confused as to why you need an LRF at the range.

Either way, from the way you describe things, it sounds like the model that was mentioned would do fine for you. You don't sound like you need much range, and you should be able to at least slightly spot hits at 100 yards on a shoot-n-see target at 3-4x. They won't look big, but it'll atl east give you an idea of where you are on the target.
    People at the range say the handgun section is 25 yards, its not its only 16.

The 50 yard rifle range isn't 50 its like 36 or so. The 100 isn't a 100. The 200 appears to be a about 150-175.

Certain rifles i have i only want them at certain distances.

I have a bore sighter, but i can't use it during the day and your not aloud at the sgl range at night. So what i had to do was take a 25ft tape measure to measure out 150 feet, it was pain in the ass to say the least. Esp when you do it at night in my area with skunks roaming about.

People at the range say the handgun section is 25 yards, its not its only 16.

The 50 yard rifle range isn't 50 its like 36 or so. The 100 isn't a 100. The 200 appears to be a about 150-175.

Certain rifles i have i only want them at certain distances.

I have a bore sighter, but i can't use it during the day and your not aloud at the sgl range at night. So what i had to do was take a 25ft tape measure to measure out 150 feet, it was pain in the ass to say the least. Esp when you do it at night in my area with skunks roaming about.
    I understand, sounds like a retard laid out the range. LOL, maybe he had a cheap rangefinder. Either way, I understand if you don't want a mil-dot scope, but if you want the convenience of not breaking out the tape measure, it costs a little money. The model listed before is about as cheap as it gets, and should work fine for you. Sounds like sighting in your rifles is very complicated. Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; May 10th, 2010 at 05:54 PM.