Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Is changing a Glock 27 40 cal to 357 sig worth it?

I have the opportunity to buy a factory 357 sig Glock barrel that fits my model 27 for a hundred dollars. A friend of mine has it but sold his 27 without it to try to make a few more dollars. Is it worth it as far as the caliber goes? I am very confident with .40 but I know some people who love the 357 sig cartridge. Also how does the recoil compare? What is louder as well since I often think about hearing loss if the need for defensive shooting ever arises.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Is changing a Glock 27 40 cal to 357 sig worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I have the opportunity to buy a factory 357 sig Glock barrel that fits my model 27 for a hundred dollars. A friend of mine has it but sold his 27 without it to try to make a few more dollars. Is it worth it as far as the caliber goes? I am very confident with .40 but I know some people who love the 357 sig cartridge. Also how does the recoil compare? What is louder as well since I often think about hearing loss if the need for defensive shooting ever arises.
    I would get it.
    Recoil and sound are about the same. A bit more snappy.

A hundred bucks new? Go for it.

I have both 9mm and .357 barrels fora Glock 23. No problems with either.

As to hearing loss during a defensive shooting, the chances are so rare that you'll even be in that situation that I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are going to go with any supersonic handgun loading I imagine (no professional knowledge) that any hearing impairment would be roughly equal if it occurs at all.

I think the evaluation of 'snappier' recoil from the .357 is about right, but that is fired from a full size or compact Glock, I have no idea about the same from a sub-compact G27.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOhio View Post
    I think the evaluation of 'snappier' recoil from the .357 is about right, but that is fired from a full size or compact Glock, I have no idea about the same from a sub-compact G27.
    True. I fired it from a compact Glock, not subcompact.

(Lancaster County)

A hundred bucks new?
    Well, not new but with no more than about four hundred rounds through.

i'd get it if i were you

i always see an advantage in having the ability to utilize another caliber, should the ammunition availability situation warrant it.

in some ways, i don't agree as much with the 357Sig theory (light, fast) vs. 45ACP theory (big, slow) but in some applications 357Sig shows some real value. it is good for longer-range shots - very flat shooting - and barrier penetration (although there are drawbacks to this in defensive situations, also)

there are some schools of thought that 357Sig is a better choice during winter months when a threat may be wearing heavy clothing, which can defeat some slower hollowpoints such as the 40S&W

i have 357Sig barrel for my Sig229 edc. the recoil is similar, but i have noticed there is a lot more associated flash

evrything in ammunition selection is a trade-off, $100 to get another caliber available for your use is money well spent, even if you rarely use it. much more sensible to spending $400-$500 for another pistol, just for caliber versaility

some of the attraction to me is that DE State Police use it, so in a crisis it may be available to me if other ammunition is not - just like 5.56, 7.62x51 and 9mm. if i lived in PA, i might apply the same logic to owning a 45GAP
    Last edited by chauncey; May 8th, 2010 at 06:08 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I cannot advise on the .357 Sig, as I am a .357 Mag kind of guy. However, as for hearing loss it is what I believe to be a trivial concern. I would be more concerned about getting puncture wounds in my own ass then some hearing bidness. Worrying about hearing loss from a life or death gunfight is a bit like worrying about braking a nail while putting out a kitchen fire.

You could just carry that sweet .45 ACP revolver and call it a day... if you ever want to sell it...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Well, not new but with no more than about four hundred rounds through.
    Glock factory, one owner and you knew him/her? If they take care of their guns and equipment, go for it. You can use your .40 magazines with no problems and now have twice the options for 20% of new pistol cost.

During the great Obama Ammo Drought of '08 I was always finding .357Sig on the shelf at normal prices.

(Berks County)

I carry the G33 and she is snappier....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I carry the G33 and she is snappier....
    so do I, get the barrel you will love it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast