Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Why No Training in Northeast PA?

Based on my and my wife's schedules, traveling long distances or needing to stay overnight (ie, if a class starts at 8:00 am I'll probably need to get there the night before) is not possible. So it's frustrating that all of the training courses and schools I see for all platforms (pistol, rifle, shotgun) all seem to be based around the Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia and Reading areas.

How come there aren't any schools and classes geared to the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre area and the counties north and northeast of that? Have past attempts shown not enough interest in those areas to justify it?

Unfortunately, even though I live within sight of the NYS border, crossing for anything there is not viable either. I can't take a pistol across state lines, as I don't think training is considered an NRA event and I'm not going to risk a traffic stop. And my rifle has an adjustable stock, also not NYS legal.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Why No Training in Northeast PA?

Try the pocono pistol club and herberlings in prompton

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    Try the pocono pistol club and herberlings in prompton
    http://www.poconopistol.com/classes.html

I refuse to take any courses from a place that has more spelling and grammar errors on their website than a kindergartener would. I question the legitimacy of the trainers at PPC anyway.

There are some trainers in the Easton area.
    Last edited by jcabin; May 8th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I refuse to take any courses from a place that has more spelling and grammar errors on their website than a kindergartener would. I question the legitimacy of the trainers at PPC anyway.
    I see what you mean. I was wondering why they were charging $45 per hour and by appointment only to teach you how to shoot from behind shrubbery! Cutting and pasting right off their web site:

"Privet lesson - $45.00 hr.
    "Per. Hour – By Appointment

"Whether it is to improve your shooting skills or to learn an (sic) new technique, privet lessons are available. All instructors are NRA certified pistol instructors."

If you're not sure what I meant, look up the definition of "privet".

I guess that's another downfall of a generation raised on text messaging and 140-character Twitter postings.

Decent looking site - too bad about the spelling mistakes. "Privet" is funny.

I like this one - Ladies Night - $40.00
    Selected Tuesday nights from 6pm to 8pm.

The ladies night course is an introduction to pistol shooting. It includes the classroom session, pistol rental, bullets, targets and firing range instruction. The classes are usually booked two months in advance.

Now I don't know about you, but I can't put bullets in my gun. If you give me some cartridges, well then now we're in business!

Reminds me of an instructor who was teaching here locally in the Richmond, Va. area. His brochure was riddled with spelling mistakes. My favorite was "No live ammunition is aloud in any class".

I think its only aloud when it goes BANG. Ammo is usually pretty quiet until then.

(Luzerne County)

Angry Re: Why No Training in Northeast PA?

I’ve been asking this question for at least two years with no real response. The biggest problem I see especially in the Wilkes Barre / Scranton area is the lack of facilities to hold the shooting portion of the classes. You cannot hold the shooting portion of the class at a state range because the instructors are paid by the students to take the classes. The private ranges in the area are few and far between and don’t seem to have much interest in doing classes because that would involve outsiders. The indoor ranges in the area are tough because most classes that are not introductory involve tying up many lanes of the indoor ranges for several hours which makes it not very cost effective for them unless the price of the class is quite high. I think most of the indoor ranges are about $20 per hr. so right off the top you are looking at $100-$200 for their range time.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Allegheny County)

if you want good quality professional training you have pretty much 2 options then:

1: Travel.

Yes, things that are worth while cost money. The issue tends to be though that people dont realize how worthwhile it is until they try it. So getting them to take the days off work, travel, rent a room, shell out for the tuition and ammo before they understand is a difficult barrier.

I say just do it. Youll be glad you did, but you wont know that until later.

2: Find an accomodating range, contact a respected instructor, and organize a class.

Lots of work. Lots.
    And the number of guys who would "love to take a class, but they are sooooo far away and blah blah blah..." who wont pony up when it comes right to them is another factor.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    if you want good quality professional training you have pretty much 2 options then:

. . . .

2: Find an accomodating range, contact a respected instructor, and organize a class.

Lots of work. Lots.
    . . . .
    I am CERTAIN there are a DOZEN instructors; full-timers, part-timers, nationally known and local, who would come to your facility and do a course IF you organize a dozen people to take one.

If you take up the challenge, you will find yourself rather frustrated at the number of people you know who: (a) can't understand why they should spend as 1/2 as much for training as they spent for their pistol; b) are really, really, really interested ... but only if you can accommodate them on the particular week-end they want at the end of next month; (c) have never been formally trained, but will not take a "basic" or "introductory level" course because they are too good for that; or (d) feel uncomfortable getting instruction because they are "not good enough" as a shooter to take a course.

But don't take my word for it. Give it a go. I will give you the telephone numbers of any number of highly qualified instructors who travel. Tell me what you are looking for, and how many people you have, an I will hook you up.

Three weeks into the effort, you will either have the course you want lined up, or you will never again have to ask why there are no courses in your area.

We have already cancelled two this year.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    I am CERTAIN there are a DOZEN instructors; full-timers, part-timers, nationally known and local, who would come to your facility and do a course IF you organize a dozen people to take one.

If you take up the challenge, you will find yourself rather frustrated at the number of people you know who: (a) can't understand why they should spend as 1/2 as much for training as they spent for their pistol; b) are really, really, really interested ... but only if you can accommodate them on the particular week-end they want at the end of next month; (c) have never been formally trained, but will not take a "basic" or "introductory level" course because they are too good for that; or (d) feel uncomfortable getting instruction because they are "not good enough" as a shooter to take a course.

But don't take my word for it. Give it a go. I will give you the telephone numbers of any number of highly qualified instructors who travel. Tell me what you are looking for, and how many people you have, an I will hook you up.

Three weeks into the effort, you will either have the course you want lined up, or you will never again have to ask why there are no courses in your area.

We have already cancelled two this year.
    Very well said, and I agree.

As a traveling instructor, I often field calls regarding classes. Some never progress past that call for various reasons. You still have to try though, and organizing a class and bringing in an instructor is a great way to get the training that you desire.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a feeling that when Advanced Arms finally has a home for those bays that they have, classes will be on the agenda!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast