Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Need Help Finding a Holster.

I just got my CompTac Minotaur for my XDsc. Very nice piece of work, but I'm not sure if it's going to be for me...it's quite a bit bulkier than I imagined. I plan on keeping it, breaking it in, and giving it a chance, but I have a feeling I'm going to be looking for a less-bulky alternative

I had been carrying my Stoeger Cougar in a Desantis Insider IWB. I actually like this relatively cheap (<$30) holster, because it is easy to take on and off (single clip that sits right next the the COM of the gun), very non-bulky, and I don't have any issues with it staying where I want it. I actually like the fact that it will move around a little bit, because that makes it easier to get it into a more comfortable position, for instance, when I sit down.

However, there are three things I don't like:
    1. It rides a little too low (the opening is pretty much flush with my pants).
    2. It's perfectly straight up and down....I'd prefer some forward cant.
    3. The opening is very flexible...I would prefer that it be stiffer/reinforced so I can reholster more easily.

So I think I would like to find a holster that is similar to the Insider that addresses these issues (higher ride, forward or adjustable cant, and reinforced opening)?

Another option I might be interested in is something like the Minotaur (Kydex body with leather backing), but where there is a single clip attached to the Kydex, rather than having 1 or 2 clips on the leather next to the Kydex.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by rikilii; May 7th, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Need Help Finding a Holster.

Funny how this works...I ask a question, then read another thread and find an answer on my own.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/17A.htm

In any case, I'd still be interested in hearing other alternatives (less expensive ones, for instance).

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for posting this and finding the answer for me. I have the exact same gun, in the exact same holster with the exact same three issues.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Devrbd View Post
    Thanks for posting this and finding the answer for me. I have the exact same gun, in the exact same holster with the exact same three issues.
    You mean the XDsc with a Desantis?

Anyway, if you try out something from Fist, let me know how you like it. I'll probably spend some time with my Minotaur before I decide to get something else.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    You mean the XDsc with a Desantis?

Anyway, if you try out something from Fist, let me know how you like it. I'll probably spend some time with my Minotaur before I decide to get something else.
    Sorry. I meant the Cougar with a Desantis.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Devrbd View Post
    Sorry. I meant the Cougar with a Desantis.
    Ahh, gotcha.

I just got my XD for carrying, so I doubt I'll be buying another holster for the Cougar.

(Montgomery County)

Nothing beats good leather. I recommend this holster:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...3718&GunID=273

The summer comfort holster is very comfortable and effective. I carry my Smith and Wesson 386 Mountain Lite in a summer comfort on a regular basis. The mouth is reinforced for easier re-holstering. However, I have never had a problem of needing to re-holster quickly one handed. The holster can be found for 20 or so bucks less if you search around the retailers.

Check out www.simplyrugged.com and look at their "Cuda" holster. It is a fine belt holster that you can get IWB straps for to do a dual role. Simply Rugged makes fantastic holsters.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Nothing beats good leather. I recommend this holster:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...3718&GunID=273

The summer comfort holster is very comfortable and effective. I carry my Smith and Wesson 386 Mountain Lite in a summer comfort on a regular basis. The mouth is reinforced for easier re-holstering. However, I have never had a problem of needing to re-holster quickly one handed. The holster can be found for 20 or so bucks less if you search around the retailers.

Check out www.simplyrugged.com and look at their "Cuda" holster. It is a fine belt holster that you can get IWB straps for to do a dual role. Simply Rugged makes fantastic holsters.
    I'm not sure why I didn't get this one in the first place, because I knew about it, but it might be that I had "tuckable" in my head as a requirement, even though I doubt I'll ever need that.
    Last edited by rikilii; May 7th, 2010 at 11:39 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I know what you mean. As for tuckable, I tried one and it was not very comfortable or useful for me. A lightweight fleece (in the cooler months), a jacket or an untucked t-shirt has always served my purposes. If that is not fashion-forward (so to speak) and I need to be a little bit dressed up I rock a pocket holster.

There is always THUNDERWEAR!!! Google them and check them out, I have one coming.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

Yeah, I was thinking that if I was ever in a situation where I'd want to carry while wearing a tucked shirt, I probably wouldn't be carrying an XD (which is still a bit bulky), and I'd probably just pocket or belly band carry.

Even though I know better, I often fall prey to obsessing over the "one size fits all" solution, which I obviously did in this case.